Deal. I'll try it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/14/21 8:16 p.m.

Puttering tonight with the kids

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/14/21 8:17 p.m.

Don't like under the manifold routing, so I got some looms for over the valve covers. They don't fit the ramhorns, so I have some more work to do. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/23/21 6:55 p.m.

Truck go vroom vroom. Video later

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/21 7:40 a.m.

Full disclosure, I did not know my wife was taking video

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/24/21 8:10 a.m.

That makes my day!!!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/24/21 8:29 a.m.

I don't have many pictures, many apologies. The kids and I have spent the last few nights making spark plug wires. I still don't love them, but they are pretty close.

The timing is all wrong, and my light doesn't work. I got it to fire and sound pretty good for a second before it ran out of gas in the bowl.  I am getting there, though, between many many other projects and commitments.

In the drivers seat is Tunakid #3, on his tenth birthday. When I stopped driving the truck and pulled it in the garage to change the rear end, he (and his older brother) were not yet born.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/24/21 10:45 a.m.

Yay!

SMOKE SHOW! SMOKE SHOW!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/24/21 6:32 p.m.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

How to get timing close. Set the balancer to the desired location, say 14 degrees BTDC and with a spare plug attached to the #1 wire, and the key ON, rotate the distributor until you see the plug fire.

Pete

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/25/21 7:21 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

That's a good idea!

Stay tuned. I have a lot to do.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/29/21 7:40 p.m.

I got it running readily today. I fixed a minor leak in the thermostat housing, but otherwise it's running on it's own fuel system now. 

I have to replace cap and rotor. It's missing a bunch of cylinders. Tunakid 4 was turning the key today. No pics because it was just the two of us. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/29/21 9:59 p.m.

My new favorite tool. Test each lead and a miss will show up clearly 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/30/21 11:00 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I use my pain. I grabbed a wire, pulled it off the cap, nothing. Grabbed another, nothing. Grabbed another, nothing. Grabbed another, ouch! And the engine stumbled, ok that one is firing. 

Cap and rotor ordered last night

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/4/21 8:05 a.m.

So let's jump back on colors.

I've not been loving the olive we spoke of earlier. I am loving Toyotas soft colors. I don't know what to call them, but these two are my favorites:

image.png

image.png

And I also dig this white stripe along with a white top (not pictured)

image.png

Thoughts?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/4/21 8:07 a.m.

Of course I also need to handle the sea of undesirable chrome on the front end. That stripe may help some of it pleasantly white:

Difference between 68 and 69-72 fenders - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC  Truck Message Board Network

solfly
solfly Dork
6/4/21 8:36 a.m.

I'm bit seeing any pics except the last one. Awesome that you got it running. I remember chipping in for leaf springs what seems like 10 years ago.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/4/21 8:56 a.m.

Trying again, here are the two interesting colors:

And here is the stripe:

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/4/21 8:58 a.m.
solfly said:

I'm bit seeing any pics except the last one. Awesome that you got it running. I remember chipping in for leaf springs what seems like 10 years ago.

Thank you for chipping in!!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/4/21 9:02 a.m.

I like all those colours - so hard to choose!

Re: chrome - what about trading all the chrome for not-chrome parts?  I love that my '61 is a base truck and it's all just paint, not chrome.  Paint is way easier to fix or touch up.

I love the seafoam green truck. Thats pretty!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UberDork
6/4/21 9:23 a.m.

I'm a big fan of the "new" colors Toyota and Subaru are using. Here's one I like:

I don't see a bad choice in the bunch, but yeah, seafoam is sweet.

Is your roof going to be white? Two tone? 

I am with Skinny on painted trim. Oh yeah, Awesome work making it CHOOCH!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/4/21 10:00 a.m.

Definitely white top.

Definitely white stripe like the seafoam truck

The rest is up for debate.

How do I paint that sea of chrome? Some white and some body color?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/4/21 11:08 a.m.
solfly said:

I have the memento that Tuna sent us on my shop wall.laugh

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/4/21 12:05 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

I'm a big fan of the "new" colors Toyota and Subaru are using. Here's one I like:

What is it that they did to those? They are soft somehow, flat without actually being flat. I don't understand, but I like.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/4/21 1:02 p.m.

I find those colors "Trendy". Not something I would put on a classic truck that I planned to keep long term.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UvQM7BLJYycPHRYKwtrscKmRF8OE9UEAoQfz1XZ3WAOgxWrgpI0iQl7pw2HBZTqi