NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/11/22 3:20 p.m.

I know I said "No project creep". But have to say it came out pretty sharp. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
2/11/22 3:33 p.m.

Best wishes to your family for a speedy recovery.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/12/22 6:33 p.m.

I ran out of sandpaper. More is on the way. 

I did have a little left. Today I was able to at least discover that sanding was pretty easy on the hood. Tunakid 4 and I took some time and prepped and applied filler to the roof areas I needed from long ago. If she's as happy to sand as she has been to do everything else,I should be buying primer in a month or so. I'm pumped. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/12/22 6:49 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

What is your primer-to-paint plan?  Going to shoot a nice layer of epoxy or going straight to a high- build like Featherfill? I believe that Evercoat now makes a spray on high-build that is good for Direct to Metal unlike their other product Featherfill. No experience with the new stuff.

Another option is you are really happy with your current finish is to go to a Urethane sealer. You can mix it up as a high-fill(ish) or as a sealer coat to paint on top of,  just by how much you reduce the product.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/12/22 8:05 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to tuna55 :

What is your primer-to-paint plan?  Going to shoot a nice layer of epoxy or going straight to a high- build like Featherfill? I believe that Evercoat now makes a spray on high-build that is good for Direct to Metal unlike their other product Featherfill. No experience with the new stuff.

Another option is you are really happy with your current finish is to go to a Urethane sealer. You can mix it up as a high-fill(ish) or as a sealer coat to paint on top of,  just by how much you reduce the product.

I have a few of those paint remover disks that look like blue triscuits and I'm going to take off most if not all of the paint and go to an epoxy coating first. Then a 2K before normal filler and sanding.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/12/22 9:46 p.m.

Spray Epoxy-->Rage Gold filler--->Spray Featherfill---> Spray 2k Urethane sealer--->Color. 

If budget were the sole consideration, I would do filler on bare metal and get it real close to perfect. Then I would use the 2k urethane mixed both ways; as a high fill and  then a sealer. Cuts out the cost of the epoxy and the featherfill. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/14/22 11:09 a.m.

Alright I need inspiration. The top stays white, the bottom is still in flux between olive, various light blue shades, even a yellow that was tossed around on pg 73. It does not need to be a GM or period color, but it should fit into the era well. Unlike previous "I will paint it in the spring" claims, this time I have nearly everything needed to accomplish that, save an unruly tax season.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/14/22 4:17 p.m.

Right answers may be found here: https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors So far I like turqoise

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/14/22 4:19 p.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/14/22 4:22 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/14/22 8:18 p.m.

Mine will be Grabber Orange.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/14/22 9:51 p.m.

https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/ChampagneYellow

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/14/22 10:48 p.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/15/22 9:14 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/15/22 9:17 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/15/22 9:18 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/15/22 9:24 a.m.

Howabout mopar f8 green? Its my new favorite shade of green. I think it would suit the vintage vibe you are going for perfectly. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/15/22 10:04 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I like those light blues! But I'm biased, it reminds me of my truck:

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/15/22 10:04 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Howabout mopar f8 green? Its my new favorite shade of green. I think it would suit the vintage vibe you are going for perfectly. 

No photo description available.

Too dark and metallic. I want something soft. I can't describe it perfectly other than to say colors like I want often have "powder" in the name.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/15/22 10:08 a.m.

Just to show that this is not just another "I am going to prime this thing in the spring" fake news problem, my sandpaper arrives today, and I believe my daughter will join me in sanding the hood and roof spots. What temp should I aim for for epoxy? I'll get it ordered soon, but I don't want it sitting in a truck when it's 20 degrees outside.

From what I assume, I will remove the hood, doors, fenders and bed and epoxy those separately, then reassemble to use duragold where needed, then disassemble again to featherfill, sealer, color and clear, then reassemble again.

Is there an inexpensive way to buy a bunch of GM body bolts and shims so I don't have to play the game every time?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/15/22 3:29 p.m.

Turquoise

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/15/22 6:19 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

There are kits sold for pretty much every aspect of restoring that truck. I bet there is a master kit if you do a bit of searching.

Friend of mine got one for a Mustang restoration and I was amazed at how comprehensive it was.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/16/22 9:03 a.m.

GM Harvest Gold

Harvest Gold 1955 GM Chevrolet Corvette

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/16/22 9:23 a.m.

Sunfire yellow

Sunfire Yellow 1966 GM Chevrolet Corvette

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/16/22 9:24 a.m.

I did a fair amount of sanding yesterday. That stuff likes to fill up sandpaper quickly. The good news is with a good block and good music on the earbuds, it was pretty easy going. I finished the roof seam and started on the passenger door. I will do the doors before transitioning back to the hood.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZXsN0polRvIfDd7dMospXvBMsKJm868hdCdnFkAVSmyooOwPCZWKN5iPKZUB7vou