tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/22 6:34 a.m.

Why didn't anyone tell me that black powder guide coat is so hard to remove from you??

I got some on my foot after yesterday evening and it got everywhere. It's surprisingly hard to wash from the shower. 

Conclusions and pictures to come

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/22 8:40 a.m.

Had a long talk with TunaDad last night over color. He's very much not a fan of the white top, and I can see his point, that the truck has no natural body line there. Does the truck do better in one color since I have no molding?

Also he talked endlessly about his GTO in Mayfaire Maise, and I kind of like it. This is the color:

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/22 8:42 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/22 8:44 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/22 8:45 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/22 8:46 a.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/29/22 8:48 a.m.

I put guide coat on all the things. I haven't begun to sand it off yet, but right away I could notice some low spots which I did not detect before, especially around the back of the cab. I'll make a note of these and sand the rest off soon.

I must have spilled some of the powder in my shoe, because when I went upstairs I saw a footprint in the shower. I washed it off, or tried to, and then saw lots of other footprints. It turns out that there was a little pil on top of my foot and it kept getting redistributed. Wow that stuff is hard to wash off the shower floor.

Anyway I am largely encouraged by what I saw, I'll hit those few low spots I see, and address the rest of the truck with a finer grit before proceding to the next epoxy coat.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 8:45 a.m.

Sanding with 400 grit is pretty exciting. I don't love how hard this is to get off, especially off of me. I again had to clean the shower last night after finishing up.

Anyway maybe 50% of the guidecoat is sanded off. I found another few spots, and circled them with pencil so I could go back to them easily. I expect to handle these quickly and then scuff the interior before buying primer again. This this is going to be straight.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/30/22 8:51 a.m.

I used cheap lacquer spray paint for guidecoat. Worked good for me, without some of the issues you are having. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 9:28 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I used cheap lacquer spray paint for guidecoat. Worked good for me, without some of the issues you are having. 

I hear that, but I can't spray inside, and therefore can't spray at night when all of this is happening, so it works.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/30/22 9:40 a.m.

fair! and im right there with you on indoor spraying. my wife has a super sensitive sniffer and a propensity for headaches

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 9:48 a.m.

I'm really reconsidering my white top, thinking that instead the white horizontal stripe would be better like on this Holley truck. 

Of course I have no idea how to mask that. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/30/22 11:14 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

fair! and im right there with you on indoor spraying. my wife has a super sensitive sniffer and a propensity for headaches

You might be missing the opportunity train. I sprayed a car in the attached garage and the next day Mrs NOHOME informed me that I was building a detached shop. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/30/22 11:22 a.m.
tuna55 said:

Had a long talk with TunaDad last night over color. He's very much not a fan of the white top, and I can see his point, that the truck has no natural body line there. Does the truck do better in one color since I have no molding?

Also he talked endlessly about his GTO in Mayfaire Maise, and I kind of like it. This is the color:

I like this color, and think it'd look good on a truck, but something about it has been bugging me, and I think I finally put my finger on it.  It looks really good with the matched color steel wheels and hubcaps, but I am having a hard time seeing it as looking good with a lot of alloy wheels.  Silver/chrome is probably out except as an accent.  Maybe the salt flat special wheels in gray will look right, especially if some body color accent is added.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 11:40 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
tuna55 said:

I like this color, and think it'd look good on a truck, but something about it has been bugging me, and I think I finally put my finger on it.  It looks really good with the matched color steel wheels and hubcaps, but I am having a hard time seeing it as looking good with a lot of alloy wheels.  Silver/chrome is probably out except as an accent.  Maybe the salt flat special wheels in gray will look right, especially if some body color accent is added.

YES

There is a lot of chrome on this thing, and I eliminated some by integrating the grill trim into the body. That said, all chrome will go. I really hate chrome. Either some variation of bronze, white, or body color. My current thought is that hip stripe in white, the grill in white, the wheels (either ralley or salt flat) in either bronze or grey (which could be that satin rough cast look, or just darker grey), the door pulls in bronze, mirrors in bronze, and bumper in bronze. I wish I knew someone good with photoshop.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 11:47 a.m.

As a reminder. The grill in white looks better in my eyes because I got rid of the awful chrome surround.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/30/22 12:00 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I think any bronze finish on that color will not look right, but I could be completely wrong.  I think it'd need a darker color to contrast with it, or white.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 12:05 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to tuna55 :

I think any bronze finish on that color will not look right, but I could be completely wrong.  I think it'd need a darker color to contrast with it, or white.

Door handles and mirrors and bumper and grill, all white?

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/30/22 12:14 p.m.

Charcoal.

Or a Gun Metal Gray.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 12:18 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Charcoal.

Or a Gun Metal Gray.

Which parts which?

Yellow or Blue overall. White hip stripe.

Grill:

Bumpers:

Mirrors:

Handles:

Wheels:

9/30/22 12:48 p.m.

Oh.  Dang. For some reason I thought it was going to be white, in which charcoal for the grill/bumper/handles/etc would be a nice accent.

If it's going to be yellow or blue, I'd probably do white with everything.  Or silver. I'm not picturing the bronze working with either yellow or blue.  Red yes, but not yellow or blue.  White, or silver or a darker shade of silver (like gray, or gunmetal).

My '61 C10 is Grabber Orange, with white for the roof/grill/bumper/bezels/mirrors (but probably not handles....).

9/30/22 12:49 p.m.

The white roof will keep the cab cooler in summer.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/30/22 12:59 p.m.

If you go with the light yellow, I'd think all the accents being white would be better than bronze.  I'm a fan of chrome door handles, but can see where you'd like something more consistent.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/30/22 1:07 p.m.

This truck gets away with grey everything, pretty much. I like white better I think. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/1/22 4:44 p.m.

Hours of sanding and filler and sanding today. It's way better. Just a few more sessions and I'm ready for the next epoxy layer. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
slaSae320JMQtC2YM2FcYsHrHh6wf3kdjxvF591Gxytcyvo0oNLuKJeRiDcnomOo