adoyle88
adoyle88 Reader
12/13/16 9:11 a.m.

Hey everybody! It's been a while since my dad and I have posted but we are still kicking. In case you don't remember us, we built a mid-engine exoskeletal car using a Chevrolet Cobalt donor. We called it the DF Goblin.

Original GRM Build Thread - Ultralight mid-engine performance car from a Chevy Cobalt donor

The project morphed into a business and we've spent the last couple of years tooling up and delivering the first kits. Here's a look at three of our cars:

three df goblin kit cars

I'm posting today because we've made some videos that we think will be very useful to many GRM builders. Just before Thanksgiving we started putting together a series of videos showing the build process of one of our cars, starting with the donor car. These videos will act as an instruction manual specifically for the Goblin but there is still a ton of information in the videos that can be used with other project cars.

Video Links

Part 1 - Preparing the Donor Car

Build Guide Playlist

We are up to part 10 so far and we are still rolling them out as we finish them. We'll keep adding videos until the car is finished.

My dad is handling the build process, cameras and voiceover. I'm doing the editing and script. If anybody has any tips, tricks or recommendations on making better videos, please share them. It's all new to us so any feedback is valuable.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
12/13/16 12:41 p.m.

More locost clones!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/13/16 12:52 p.m.

In reply to adoyle88:

We remember. ;-)

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
12/22/16 4:07 p.m.

What's the latest with these? Are you able to update the build (and re-build) thread? I'd love to see how they've developed further; I'd love to turn the wife's beater car into one of these.

adoyle88
adoyle88 Reader
12/31/16 9:03 a.m.

In reply to edwardh80:

This year we shipped 29 first stage kits, 11 second stage kits and one factory built car. Customers are building their kits all over the country (except for the southwest):

DF Goblin customer map

A few of our customers have their engines running and a couple have them down on the tires. They all would have made it further if tooling up the shop hadn't taken so long and if we would have provided instructional build videos sooner.

As for our cars, the original prototype was completely disassembled and the frame was sold to a local high school student who was interested in rebuilding it.

Jake and his DF Goblin

Jake's DF Goblin front

P1.5 (the one we rebuilt) and P2 are our shop demo cars. We've taken them to Cars and Coffee Dallas, smaller local shows and to Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina/Tennessee.

DF Goblins at Cars and Coffee Dallas

We actually towed the two cars to Tail of the Dragon behind two Cobalts.

DF Goblins behind Cobalts

DF Goblin behind Cobalts at Tail of the Dragon

The guys at the CobaltNation and EcotecNation event at ToTD were definitely surprised to see two Cobalts towing our cars in.

DF Goblins behind Cobalts at CobaltNation EcotecNation Tail of the Dragon

We parked the Cobalts and drove the Goblins for the rest of the day.

Video at Tail of the Dragon

DF Goblins on Tail of the Dragon

DF Goblins near Tail of the Dragon

adoyle88
adoyle88 Reader
1/3/17 2:19 p.m.

We've finally made it to the actual build portion of our build guide (before now we were just stripping the donor and preparing the wiring harness). Here are the first two actual build videos:

Sheet Metal and Main Hoses - YouTube link

Steering, Pedal Box and Brake Lines - YouTube link

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/3/17 3:00 p.m.

Nice job, guys. It's exciting to see you make a success of this.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
1/3/17 7:41 p.m.

Wow, I'm really impressed with the professionalism of your build videos. Great job! Does your car support builds with a manual transmission?

adoyle88
adoyle88 Reader
1/3/17 8:54 p.m.

In reply to nderwater:

Thanks, we're hanging in there.

In reply to mblommel:

We are definitely tip toeing at the edge of our comfort zone with videography, editing and voiceover. I'm glad you like them.

We've made it easier on ourselves by keeping the videos straightforward and instructional. If we had to make it entertaining or talk into the camera it would all fall apart.

The car can be built with a manual transmission. It just comes down to what transmission the donor Cobalt has.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
1/4/17 5:35 a.m.

I was actually wondering what happened to ya'll the other day (while looking at a cobalt SS for sale on craigslist). great job getting it going.

adoyle88
adoyle88 Reader
1/6/17 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Mad_Ratel:

Was that Cobalt SS an early model with the supercharger or late model with the turbo? Did you buy it?

By the way, the next video is up:

Main Harness & Dash Accessories - YouTube Link

We are just a couple of videos away from getting the engine in.

java230
java230 Dork
1/6/17 11:59 a.m.

Am i seeing one in the Bellingham area?! I still look at your kits, I just have too many projects and not enough $$

adoyle88
adoyle88 Reader
1/6/17 3:24 p.m.

In reply to java230:

Wow, nice job. We actually do have a customer in Bellingham. Here's his build thread: AleX1/9's Supercharged City Goblin

java230
java230 Dork
1/6/17 3:39 p.m.

In reply to adoyle88:

Thanks! Ill go stalk his build now. I missed a HHR SS at auction I could have had for nearly nothing.... Front was a bit messed up though. Oh well, later I will build a tube frame something.

adoyle88
adoyle88 Reader
1/17/17 6:36 a.m.

We are getting to the more interesting parts of the build guide:

Installing Radiator and Fuel Tank - YouTube

Installing the Powertrain and Fuse Box - YouTube

The next video will get the engine running.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
1/20/17 9:20 p.m.

I've been watching your build videos and enjoying them. Just wondering: is there a timeline for the double wishbone rear suspension option?

adoyle88
adoyle88 Reader
1/25/17 1:47 p.m.

In reply to mblommel:

The double wishbone rear suspension has been put on the very back burner so there isn't a timeline for that.

The last two videos of the Stage 1 assembly process are up:

First Start - YouTube

Finishing Stage 1 - YouTube

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
5/25/17 4:40 p.m.

Congratulations on the Video for The Smoking Tire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehBoHBXT3s

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
5/26/17 9:38 a.m.

Just watched it yesterday.

Was wondering about suspension geometry and the shock availability. Whats the widest tires and wheels you guys have run for track duty?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pzOc7YK6URqnVRLyVokTeJgIo33lAFYmAHXwzwg8VItX4e6e4VgmInyF4U3E76hF