4/22/21 7:57 a.m.

The Q rolling on dubs but no picture?  

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/22/21 8:11 a.m.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
4/24/21 6:10 a.m.

Tell me more about carbon fiber foundation repair?? More house pics always welcome too. Cutting the old roof out through the ceiling a few months ago sounded.. uh.. miserable.

Are you guys living inside during this reno? We did that for our last couple houses but the other member of our "management  committee" says no more living in renos. 

4/25/21 7:59 a.m.

CF basics:  remove loose crap, grind to give something to bond to, fill cracks, spread epoxy, lay CF into epoxy, let cure, interior can be left exposed or exterior can be covered.  I did the back corner that would be inaccessible because of new landing steps.  There are a few more spots to do and i plan to underpin the old foundation back wall  at some point because I don't think they footed the foundation very deep and stuff moves with the seasons.

4/27/21 4:20 p.m.

got wood.  Passed framing inspection 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/27/21 4:36 p.m.

That's a whole college education of wood at current prices. 

4/28/21 3:46 p.m.

Ninja edit, he claims he misspoke before we shook hands and wants significantly more

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/28/21 4:27 p.m.

Edit:  Darn

4/29/21 3:19 p.m.

Today I drove a Hi-Ace

and a friend did a photo shoot of the Q

#baller

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
4/29/21 7:04 p.m.

Hey, that's my dentist's!  Swmbo clipped that tire one time.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/29/21 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

You're not racing if you don't try and cut the corners.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/29/21 8:25 p.m.

Nice Hi-Ace.  How was it?

Also, where's that little tank engine in the background of your Q45?

nocones
nocones UberDork
4/29/21 8:50 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

It's Thomas' American cousin Trevor.  He fell in with the wrong crowd and did a lot of coke.  He managed to clean his life up and now spends his days just chilling at the Valley City Railroad Depot.  He's not as famous as his British cousin Thomas, and never got the joy of being narrated by George Carlin but he seems alright to me.

https://remarkableohio.org/picture.php?/6217

It's apparently in Liverpool Ohio.

I couldn't find any details on the engine other then that it's a 0-4-0 Steam engine.  It may or may not be named Trevor and it most likely did not use Coking coal as fuel.

4/30/21 7:40 a.m.

Nocones is mostly correct.  It's about 5 minutes from my house and Toni was like "omg we passed the cutest little train on the way here" so I suggested she shoot the Q with it because trains are rad and so is the Q

the HiAce was neat.  I've never driven rhd before so it was interesting.  I overshot my first left turn, otherwise it was easy to get used to.  My size 13's are pretty cramped at the pedals but honestly no worse than an astro.  The 3.0 diesel was nice and torquey and it makes the van officially not slow.  The multiple glass roof panels are awesome and it has electric sliding rear window blinds so you can pull in somewhere, fold the rear bench into a bed, hit the blinds, and sleep looking up at the sky.  

Toni also took a few shots in the garage and expressed interest in wanting to be the one to document the Devin restoration when the time comes.  

5/1/21 10:13 a.m.

Personal status update:  221 pounds, no longer obese on the bmi scale.  -41 since November.  Original goal was 225 and see how it felt, new goal is 210 and see how that feels.  Assembled and tried my new weight bench yesterday and brought home some of my bars and plates from my parents basement to start stage 2 of get stronger.  Have not seriously lifted since high school, already like what it's doing to me since starting in December.  

Going out to work on the porch, hopefully post some progress pics later

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/1/21 10:24 a.m.

I love your love for the Q. 

#went to the right place 

5/1/21 11:38 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It's an awesome car because the hail marks make me feel not bad rolling the fenders or adding stuff to make it mine, but it's low mile enough to be nice and want to keep nice.  I am going to put the stereo from rusty in at some point.  I did new plugs last week and it's running awesome.  Have to clean up the stillen front strut brace and install that.  

porch shaping up 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/1/21 3:52 p.m.

Yu gonna learn to play the banjo.......sorry I'm gettin' "Deliverance" flashbacks. You do very good work kinda wish you were closer......I still want to put a roof over the 22x34 deck between the house and grosh getting rid of the  foot wide breezeway that exists now. What spacing did you use on the porch joists?

x

5/2/21 8:24 a.m.

16".  Porch is 50' 8" so that laid out perfect.  1 5/32" decking because regular 1" thick 5/4 boards suck.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
5/2/21 10:34 a.m.

Are you getting those from a sawmill or something? I have never heard of 1-5/32. 

Edit: I realize ALL boards come from a sawmill. 

5/3/21 12:53 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Menards and Home Depot advertise it as "thick deck" and for some reason it's cheaper than thinner 5/4 1" thick boards.  It's also way stronger, straighter, and nicer.  I've been using it for years for customers.  

5/7/21 6:48 p.m.

Toni took this one and i love it 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/7/21 9:10 p.m.

Patrick.....this is borderline 'fly'....but the more I look at it, this stance does work very well Mflaps and all....it's NEOhio for cryin' out LoUd!!!!......wait a minute ....you're werkin the trailer hitch also as your standard out of the yard appearance????..........sweet

5/8/21 7:05 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Right behind the depot is a park with a nice big bike loop, the hitch is so the kids and i can take our bikes without taking the truck.  

I don't remember if i told you guys or not but another reason beyond the house and mental health fixing  i'm scarce around here is that i have gone back to school to finish my degree.  I am 2 weeks away from being done with my first semester back since 2003, and am on track for straight A's.  It's weird doing classes online but i have been disciplined about it and am sticking to this goal i've had since i left school to focus on building the business way back then

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/8/21 8:45 a.m.

Congrats on the weight loss and returning to school Patrick.  Great job!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XEfINKpg2YwI9yyhuZU3eXp4ecJPAkxaqZbNmrLX3t3ow6RJN14QbWgXKT9dH3tx