1 2 3
759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/26/18 4:44 p.m.

Just stubbed my toe on this thread will go back to 'front' .......took my drivers test i one of these.....parallel parking

was a beeeatch.....surprisingly uncrusty......and way more kooler than '96 f150 wink 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/26/18 7:40 p.m.

Have you considered having the radiator rebuilt?

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
8/26/18 11:04 p.m.
RossD said:

Have you considered having the radiator rebuilt?

My radiator guy says that the 2-row is borderline for an AC car of that size, but it needs a 3-row for towing, especially with the air on. He also tells me that it's cheaper for him to get a 3-row than to recore mine with an extra row. It's in the works. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
12/19/18 11:11 a.m.
AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
12/19/18 12:16 p.m.
snailmont5oh said:

I also got the cooling system back-flushed, and new antifreeze installed. You should've seen the crap that came out of the block!

I don't know why but the phrase "antifreeze installed" makes me giggle. Aweseome wagon, even cooler dragging the racecar.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
12/19/18 12:28 p.m.

Grandpa had a ‘72 LTD.  4 door.  A visual ringer for the one Burt Reynolds drove in White Lightning. When my ‘81 Pontiac threw a rod during spring semester of my sophomore year of college, I got to pretend I was Gator Mcklusky for the rest of the year.  I did all the burnouts and sideways passes down dirt roads.  Stopped short of jumping it on to a river barge though. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
6/27/19 9:57 p.m.

Wow. It's been a while since I even remembered that this existed. I got the 3-row radiator in, but haven't done anything heavy duty with it since. Now that I think about it, I'll be towing 22/422 from Altoona to Indiana, PA on Saturday, so that will be a trial by fire. 

I got a full PMT Fabrication control arm set for the rear, because it needed bushings and a swaybar anyway. Here's some pics of the completed rear suspension, Eaton/Detroit Steel springs, air bags, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and PMT stuff. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/28/19 7:38 a.m.

I love this thing.  If you ever decide to sell it, I'll have a really hard time resisting, since I live only a few hours from you. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
6/29/19 12:34 a.m.
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/29/19 11:31 a.m.
snailmont5oh said:

Quoting pic for awesomeness.  Looks like you could use another 1” of spacer on the rear wheels. Baby got back!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/29/19 11:35 a.m.

And the new exhaust sounds great!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/29/19 1:19 p.m.

I'd be interested in details on the old vs. new exhaust. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
6/29/19 1:43 p.m.
ClemSparks said:

I'd be interested in details on the old vs. new exhaust. 

The old exhaust consisted of factory manifolds and factory-type 2 1/4" y-pipe, a crappy muffler poorly attached at front and rear, a 2 1/4 inch crush bent tailpipe, and a 2" or less 90° bend at the back. 

The new exhaust starts 3" back from where the Y comes together, and is a straight piece of 3" pipe into a 3" Borla XS straight-through muffler, into a 3" mandrel-bent Chevelle tailpipe that we cut and welded back together to fit, into a 3" mandrel 90 at the back. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
7/7/19 9:44 p.m.

At Summit Point Shenandoah Saturday evening, I parked a few spots away from this, then saw the open spot next to it. I figured that there was a photo opportunity, here. When I got out, I said to the owner, "When do you think you'll get another chance to take a picture of your car with a '71 Ford wagon?" He smiled. 

P. S.: He tracked it. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
7/7/19 11:14 p.m.
snailmont5oh said:

The wagon?

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
7/8/19 11:11 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
snailmont5oh said:

The wagon?

The McLaren. The wagon was there to tow my track car, and was loaded to the gills. 

By the way, the wagon's stability was much improved with the PMT Fabrication rear end kit, and it seemed to like the 3" exhaust, getting 10.1 MPG on the way down on Friday. There was a lot less asphyxiation on the trip, too. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
7/9/19 2:37 p.m.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
8/28/19 3:55 p.m.

The latest fiasco from the annals of 71 wagondom:

Leaving Altoona, PA, bound for Summit Point once again, I noticed a slight spark knock when climbing a hill at 70 in second. For the rest of the trip, I did some testing at different RPM levels and throttle positions, and determined that the (light) mechanical advance springs could use a little more tension. After the track day activities on Saturday, I made that change. When I did, I noted that the accelerator pump was leaking fuel enough that there was a puddle on the intake. I got a ride to the parts store, got a rebuild kit that had the proper diaphragm, and installed same. Of course, the pump cover was warped, so I spent a little time rubbing its mounting face on some nearby smooth concrete to flatten it out enough to seal.

Then, I was off to get fuel 7 miles away.  I decided to test my timing adjustment, wrapping it up to 50 or so in first (4300ish RPM).  Right before or as it shifted, the engine note went way wrong, and it felt like it had thrown out an anchor. It would only start at WOT, and it didn't make enough power to even move the car on flat ground. The time is 10PM  

Thinking that it jumped time (early 70s cars liked to use Nylon cam sprocket teeth), I called AAA for a tow back to the track. That took 4 hours. Then, the next day, I gathered resources to get all my E36 M3 home. I got a buddy from Altoona to come down with his truck to get the race car and trailer, and another friend from near SP to haul the wagon home. Meanwhile, I'm wondering just exactly what is going on, because the car didn't crank like a car that had jumped time. It sounded *exactly right*.  So, I'm thinking, broken roll pin in the distributor, maybe?  When I get it home, I pop the distributor cap and rotor, and I notice that the Accel 2020 (electric points eliminator) rotor, which also has the shutter wheel for the optical sensor, has no nub on the inside to engage the slot in the top of the distributor shaft. I estimated the proper position of the rotor, popped it into place, and replaced the cap. Damn thing fired right up. 

So, the moral to the story is that a $25 part, right on top of the engine, and a five minute repair cost me $400 worth of fuel and gratuities, and a track day.  Accel/Mallory/Holley really need to redesign this piece of E36 M3!

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/28/19 4:25 p.m.

That is truly asinine. Sounds like you're pretty on top of your diagnostic skills, though! Cars have been given up on over not finding things like that. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9er2RPOc6KocuUIcjrrZFmTI75wc9fga6b1BJh6KnqzpvXLVi0U7ZU2GaL6cxZeb