1 2
theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
5/6/24 9:55 a.m.
nsogiba said:

In reply to theruleslawyer :

I had the same issue with the exhaust bolts on my C5. Just ended up doing headers from Huron Speed (don't know if they still offer that system). Maybe just torch/drill out those studs and replace? I get not wanting to throw more money at the problem. 

Yah. Sunday I broke out the torch and was able to get 2/3 studs replaced on each header. I tried drilling the remaining ones after they sheared flat. No luck. The angle I could get the drill in was weird. If I'm taking the headers out it will be for new ones. Its sealed for now. I think I'll probably get a set of speed engineering headers. They seem the go-to cheap header right now. There are incredibly cheap ebay headers, but reports are that fitment is a bit of a fight. another option is the newer 01+ headers. Supposedly they are good for 10hp over the 99 headers. Plus they are direct fit rather than requiring a lot of work downstream. And cheap. really cheap.

Also did the brake flush with SRF. I put 2l through. Pedal is a little squishier than I'd like. I'll have to try another bleed again. The wilwoods appear to have a valved bleeders which makes the motive power bleeder not push very much fluid. I pumped the pedal to speed up the rear, but I may have sucked air in?

nsogiba
nsogiba Reader
5/6/24 12:03 p.m.

If you're going to pull manifolds altogether, just do longtubes. I had a buddy with a C5 coupe with no exhaust mods - we went for a ride in my C5 FRC with longtubes and he said the acceleration delta was "significant". 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
5/11/24 5:55 p.m.

Buttoning things up this weekend.

• Got the AC working. Installed a new exterior temp sensor and recharged the system. the low pressure fill valve seems to be leaking, but that's a problem for future me. Resting the bottle on the header really helps counter the bottle freezing up.  It blows cold now
  • Hood back on
  • Degreased the engine to clean up any remaining goop from all the installs.
  • Fixed a parking brake spring that had come loose. It was dragging on a test drive
  • Oil changed
  • Tightened the oil distribution block
  • Checked fluid levels
  • Setup Catalyst
  • setup camera
  • setup remote for camera
  • Attempted to bleed the brakes again. The motive bleeder decided to leak this time. $40 of SRF all over the floor while attempting to get it all setup. I guess I'll just do it the old fashioned way.

All that's left for now is the alignment and brake bleed. I went to a car show out at Northstar Motorsports to do something other than work on the car for once and get a few miles on the car and give it a chance to leak.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
5/13/24 11:00 p.m.

Installed an auto-blip tonight. Pretty easy to do. Tap into power at the OBD, Clutch top switch, brake light switch, and then 3 throttle wires. When the brake and clutch are depressed at the same time you it'll blip. Duration and and delay are adjustable with the little control box below.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
5/20/24 9:02 a.m.

I went to my first track day with the c5 this weekend. I've been to autobahn south enough times that I'm pretty familiar with the line. My previous best in the F82 M4 was 1:38.21. First day out in the new c5 I ran 1:37.94. Down well over 100hp and losing time with shifts vs a DCT. (9c,8r F, 6c,6r R) 30 psi hot F/R

I started out the weekend in Intermediate to make sure I got a coach and since it was the first time on a new platform. I also haven't driven manual in a decade. Figured I'd take it easy. They promoted me to advanced for the second day.

The car has a ton of grip with 315 square. I can definitely feel the lower power though. A lot of cars I'd previously blow by on the straights now had to lift to let me pass in time. The race seats really help. First time using a hans and it makes you really feel locked in there. However this car is making all its time up in corners. It just leaves all the sedan based cars behind there.

1. Burning some oil in the braking zone. The engine is probably under a ton of vaccum and sucking some oil in. Reportedly it clears right up out of the turn, and doesn't impact a high G turn alone. I need to check the oil catch can. Maybe its full?
  2. Brake has inconsistent feel. I bled the brake on track. Some people say it is indicative of two things- A leaky master cylinder or air in the ABS. The ABS I need to see if I can get or borrow a tool that can do ABS bleed. I ordered a new master cylinder. Even if it isn't the issue, it is a 25 year old part and probably worth freshening. Probably worth checking the booster vaccum lines too.
  3. Check engine light. I ended my day since I couldn't get scanned at the track. Torque pulled O2 low voltage and a bunch of throttle position errors. O2 maybe I melted a harness? I guess we will find out. The TPS errors I suspect are related to the autoblip. I'll contact their support and see what they say. At least nothing major happened.
  4. Some oil is leaking. I lost about 1-1.5L a day. Some of it burning, but I have a minor leak when hot. I'll have to chase it down this weekend. Probably just the new oil cooler needs tightened.
  5. Grinding noise LR- Either I'm starting to lose a wheel bearing or maybe the axle nut needs torqued. I know SKF trackers are in my future.
  6. The tunnel is freaking hot- I think I'll order a c6 tunnel plate and insulation kit and see if that keeps some heat out of the cabin.

Speaking of the new cooler, coolant temps stayed 230-240ish. The oil however was 285 and pretty much never moved. That's kind warm for an oil cooler, isn't it? I was expecting more mid 200's peak.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/20/24 10:41 a.m.

Poor man's ABS bleed:

• do a standard bleed
  • drive car and do a couple stops hard enough to cycle the ABS. Depending on tires, you might have to do this in the rain or "off line" in the marbles somewhere. Big parking lot perhaps, or rainy day.
  • do a launch hard enough to engage traction control. Again, marbles or wet pavement may be your friend.
  • do another standard bleed
theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
5/27/24 10:23 a.m.
theruleslawyer said:
  1. Burning some oil in the braking zone. The engine is probably under a ton of vaccum and sucking some oil in. Reportedly it clears right up out of the turn, and doesn't impact a high G turn alone. I need to check the oil catch can. Maybe its full?
  2. Brake has inconsistent feel. I bled the brake on track. Some people say it is indicative of two things- A leaky master cylinder or air in the ABS. The ABS I need to see if I can get or borrow a tool that can do ABS bleed. I ordered a new master cylinder. Even if it isn't the issue, it is a 25 year old part and probably worth freshening. Probably worth checking the booster vaccum lines too.
  3. Check engine light. I ended my day since I couldn't get scanned at the track. Torque pulled O2 low voltage and a bunch of throttle position errors. O2 maybe I melted a harness? I guess we will find out. The TPS errors I suspect are related to the autoblip. I'll contact their support and see what they say. At least nothing major happened.
  4. Some oil is leaking. I lost about 1-1.5L a day. Some of it burning, but I have a minor leak when hot. I'll have to chase it down this weekend. Probably just the new oil cooler needs tightened.
  5. Grinding noise LR- Either I'm starting to lose a wheel bearing or maybe the axle nut needs torqued. I know SKF trackers are in my future.
  6. The tunnel is freaking hot- I think I'll order a c6 tunnel plate and insulation kit and see if that keeps some heat out of the cabin.
  1. The catch can was pretty full. I also found the hose pretty loose to the TB. I bet it was leaking.
  2. Replaced the master cylinder and bleed a ton on the brakes.
  3. I took out the the positaps and soldered in the wires instead. o2's look okay.
  4. I found the oil block to be leaking. It looks like the temp sensor and a plug. I added some thread sealant, cleaned the surfaces well and reassembled. I was tired and frustrated last time I put it together. Good news is the heat has formed the hoses to their new shape a bit and now it wants to stay in the correct location so getting the screws in is easy.
  5. I had a spring in the parking brake loose. not 100% sure it fixed it yet, but I'd bet on the G forces causing the shoe to swing out and rub the inside of the rotor.
  6. I added an insulation kit. Its pretty!

I also managed to get 2 more bolts into the headers. I just drilled out the threads completely and used a through bolt. I also finally bought a cordless ratchet. OMG why did I wait so long? Instead of fighting bolts where you get a couple clicks of swing- ziiiiiiip and its out.

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
5/27/24 11:05 a.m.

In reply to theruleslawyer :

Cordless rachets are great, especially when they can fit into an odd place. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
6/3/24 10:10 a.m.

Track Day #2 is in the books.

It was my first time out with the car at Blackhawk Farms. I had signed up for Intermediate 2 in order to give myself a little more pace buffer while I learned the track in a new car. The track org did something a little different today. They offered transponders for free to hopefully drum up a bit more interested in TT and other timed events. They posted standing throughout the day. I ended up #2 for times at the event. There were two other Corvettes there. A c6z and a c5z. Mid-day the fastest laps list had 10/14 as Corvettes, and 7/14 were me. I'm not going to post any other's people names out of respect for insurance issues with timing, etc. Eventually the c6z put together a lap in the afternoon and beat me by almost 2 seconds. It was kinda funny to watch him on the main straight. I'd enter it fairly close to him and he would be in the brake zone when I was maybe halfway down the straight. I'm not sure what he had done to the car, but it was fast.

Here's the #2 lap

And a passing compilation if you have 25minutes to waste. Unfortunately my camera stopped recording for the most interesting track battle of the day. I probably have it on my Catalyst. The video quality is just ass. I'll post it later if I find it.

• Brakes were much better. I also put the new hawk er-1 pads in this time. Same pedal engagement every time with only the typical ABS activation sink.
  • Tunnel temps seemed lower. I didn't measure, but I wasn't baking as much today.
  • I'm still consuming oil. About 1qt for the day. Acceptable for all day at redline for a 90k engine.
  • The LR wheel is still grinding. I think it really is the bearing. I ordered a set of MPI hubs for the car. Reported they work well in the rear. I might need the more expensive SKF X Trackers for the fronts once they start making noise.
  • I think the PS pump is leaking. I was down a minor amount of fluid. I think I saw some drips last time I was under the car. Just a couple ounces had to be put in near the end of the day. Not real surprising as the PS pump is a known weak link in these cars on track.
  • I'm getting a CEL for the O2 still. Low voltage in the post-cat O2 on both banks. Seems like there is a laundry list of possible causes. Likely there is still a bit of a leak at the header flange. I could slather them in copper RTV. Its not a problem other than I don't like a CEL popping up on track.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
6/9/24 6:24 p.m.

Post track day inspection

• Oil in catch can is probably like 1/2 qt. So I'm not actually burning a ton. No notable leaks up on the lift.
  • Installed a new hub in LR. Used a MPI hub which are $250 vs $400 for the skf x trackers. Test drive verified the noise is gone. I have a second for the other rear when it goes.
  • PS pump inspection shows there is a leak. I ordered a turn one hp2 unit to replace
  • Ordered parts to do the harmonic balancer. It wobbles a little bit. Not critical, but I should take care of it soon.
  • Installed new plugs, wires, and boots. The old ones looked badly eroded, but all a nice gray.
  • Removed the air system hoses to give me a bit more room to work
  • Removed the side air dam. There is a LG motorsport video out there where he talks about them only existing for fuel economy. They create lift. I care more about lift than fuel economy
  • Changed the coolant out for distilled water and some water wetter. Hopefully that will bring down my temps a bit.

I also ordered a set of front cooling ducts that turn your fog light holes into much more useful air intakes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4wBTMTyUa9/?img_index=1

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JRUiNUC5Z4rMpm3OnGezezSiMhPpjS3ZgItcyBFECGvFiGsI8vTUVHOstkDpoqph