1 2 3
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
3/13/19 4:39 p.m.

Why is tire height any part of this conversation?

I had a confuse.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/13/19 4:57 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I had a confuse.

Some people think width is more important than height when the tire isn't the proper height to begin with. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
3/13/19 8:58 p.m.
svxsti said:
wvumtnbkr said:

I had a confuse.

Some people think width is more important than height when the tire isn't the proper height to begin with. 

Tire height does 2 things.  It slightly stretches the contact patch in the accerating and braking dimension (neither particularly matter when you are talking about tires of this width and a car this capable.

The other thing they do is increase the gear ratio to make acceleration slower and gain a higher gear limited top speed.

Oh, they also add weight and hurt every aspect of performance with the added weight.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/13/19 9:11 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yay so let's have countach size tires.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
3/13/19 10:45 p.m.

In reply to svxsti :

Lol wut.

Are you just going to provide sarcasm or actually explain what your side of the tire height debate is?

kevinatfms
kevinatfms New Reader
3/14/19 6:02 a.m.
svxsti said:

Race cars are track only cars and don't pass state inspections. It's going to be very satisfying when this Camaro is passing a 996 GT3 on the outside corner. Just have to figure out how to lose 400lbs lol.

The only way you're getting around a 996 GT3 on the outside corner is with a point by.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
3/14/19 6:46 a.m.

On my 2400lb car I went from a 245 width 27" tall tire on a 9" rim, to a 225 width tire 23" tall tire on a 7" rim and went faster.   This is on a low powered car, so the shorter tire helped with acceleration, less weight is always better too bad it looked goofy.

Now on a 900hp Shelby, you want to put as small of a rim diameter as possible with the largest diameter tire and then lower the air pressure a little.  This makes the contact patch 4 to 5 times larger than adding 20 or 30 mm to the tire width.  After some weight transfer that patch gets even bigger.  I know we are not talking about drag racing here but I think that is what the idea of tall tires has going for it.

If its contact patch you are looking for just take the air out of the tires.cheeky

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
3/14/19 7:09 a.m.

Contact patch doesn't really change area by tire dimensions (unless a severe case). it only changes area by tire pressure.

The shape of that area changes.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/14/19 7:12 a.m.
kevinatfms said:
svxsti said:

Race cars are track only cars and don't pass state inspections. It's going to be very satisfying when this Camaro is passing a 996 GT3 on the outside corner. Just have to figure out how to lose 400lbs lol.

The only way you're getting around a 996 GT3 on the outside corner is with a point by.

With the same tires, a 3200lb Camaro on a square 305 setup is going to have more stick than a 3050lb GT3 with a 235/395 setup

I think the OP is a bit off his rocker for a few reasons, but I don't think its unreasonable for a well setup Camaro to perform like a GT3 on the skidpad with the right amount of tire stuffed under it?

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
3/14/19 8:16 a.m.

Shorter tires also reduce ride height and will effect various handling characteristics (less roll being one) and can have beneficial aero effects from less air going under the car.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms New Reader
3/14/19 10:55 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
kevinatfms said:
svxsti said:

With the same tires, a 3200lb Camaro on a square 305 setup is going to have more stick than a 3050lb GT3 with a 235/395 setup

I think the OP is a bit off his rocker for a few reasons, but I don't think its unreasonable for a well setup Camaro to perform like a GT3 on the skidpad with the right amount of tire stuffed under it?

But OP is not a rational thinking person. So he isnt going to run a 305 squared setup.

OP is going to have 31" tall mudders on his track rig by the way this thread is going.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/14/19 12:06 p.m.
kevinatfms said:
ProDarwin said:
kevinatfms said:
svxsti said:

But OP is not a rational thinking person. So he isnt going to run a 305 squared setup.

OP is going to have 31" tall mudders on his track rig by the way this thread is going.

Apparently my first post wasn't read lol This has been hilarious, so many people stuck in their ways, but some do see the light.

If 400lbs were removed it would be equal in weight and power to the GT3 so the 305 square Camaro would be winning. 

Don't be silly, I'm still gonna send it.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/14/19 1:54 p.m.

Equal power/weight still won't have your Camaro beating a 996 GT3.  There's a whole lot more than power/weight/tire patch going on there...

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/14/19 2:57 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

C'mon let's bottom line this, the 996 GT3 is only good for a 7:54 at the Nurburgring, that's way behind a GTi Clubsport.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
3/14/19 3:13 p.m.

This whole thing feels familiar...https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/the-internet-troll-thread/151778/page1/

Also. Nascar tire sizes. The height may have something to with running 200+mph for 500 miles at a time. Friction and heat and all that stuff. I don't really follow motorsports all that much but I don't see many track cars using tall tires. Just my limited observation.

Amyway, just send it. If thats what you want to do then do it. If it works it works and it may very well be revolutionary...

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/17/19 10:42 a.m.

I'm grateful for all the feedback and thanks for helping me decide on the V6 1LE. Why? 7200 RPM shifts, it's high peak torque and doesn't need an intercooler for 335hp. Just need a stroker kit. It also doesn't need to lose much weight for 50/50 and will honor the 305 square recommendations. 

Any XJ220 mufflers for sale?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
3/17/19 10:46 a.m.

What is special about xj220 mufflers?  Unless you are referring to turbos?

If turbos, I would think 30 or 40 year newer turbo tech would be better!

If referring to the sound, isn't the xj220 a straight 6?  Don't think it is that easy (or possible) to make a v6 sound like a straight 6.  

I could be wrong.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/17/19 11:45 a.m.
svxsti said:

Just need a stroker kit.

what?  why?

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/17/19 12:57 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Yep it's a V6, best sounding one of all time.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/17/19 12:59 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
svxsti said:

Just need a stroker kit.

what?  why?

Because the GT3 RS has a 4.0L lol. 

It has a really high peak torque, 5300 rpm, and doesn't have a close ratio transmission.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
3/17/19 1:46 p.m.
svxsti said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Cool!  I didn't realize jag did a v6 back then.  I figured they were all straight 6.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms New Reader
3/18/19 7:22 a.m.
svxsti said:
ProDarwin said:
svxsti said:

Just need a stroker kit.

what?  why?

Because the GT3 RS has a 4.0L lol. 

It has a really high peak torque, 5300 rpm, and doesn't have a close ratio transmission.

Its also a flat-6 versus a V-6. It cost 3x the amount that your Camaro cost and the level of engineering that goes into it is on different planet.

Youre obviously trolling at this point.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms New Reader
3/18/19 7:29 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
svxsti said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Cool!  I didn't realize jag did a v6 back then.  I figured they were all straight 6.

Jaguar re-engineered the Austin-Rover V6 found in the Metro rally car. Or so they say they re-engineered it. Sounds like they just stuffed two turbos on the side and went with it.

It should have had the crazy 48v V12 and four wheel drive they built in the concept car.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/18/19 8:35 a.m.
svxsti said:

It has a really high peak torque, 5300 rpm

The torque band on that motor is pretty much dead flat from 2000rpm+  Who cares where the peak is?

APEowner
APEowner Dork
3/18/19 10:46 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I had a confuse.

While I think that the Camaro the OP has in mind would be an awesome car I'm finding the whole thread confusing. 

By NASCAR handling I'm assuming that the OP is refereing to a NASCAR Cup car.  I don't know why anyone would aspire to have thier car handle like that.  I've never driven one but I know people who have and not one of them described the handling in a way that made me think duplicateing it in something else was a good idea.  The Cup teams spend millions of dollars trying to make thier cars not handle like Cup cars. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Wtx9onrSHKy5SgEHqAEX151qoVzSa3f7RkHYViJW7WrbBrGDhmIHagA0CYTON9i