1 2 3
Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/18/19 12:04 p.m.

Let's take stock of what we are dealing with here. 

We've got a bench build of a car that to my knowledge wouldn't really be legal for any race series where it could go head to head with a GT3 RS. And I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant of the rules but I don't think they would really even compete in a time trial competition. So we are basically dealing with an HPDE/track day car. And those are not races. 

So the OP has a car he wants to build and the GT3 RS is his target. And he has a theory of how to get there. However he came to those conclusions he has a game plan. Sounds like a car that I would like to see built. Even though it's not a car that I would particularly like to drive. For an HPDE type build I'd much prefer fun over lap times and progressive predictable slip angle over extreme grip right up until they let go then you're on ice. Which is what I believe sticky super wide tires get you. 

I see no reason why we should nit pick the reasons why he wants to approach it this way. I think it would be interesting to see if his theory holds true. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/18/19 12:21 p.m.

I would say that op sounds really young, but he actually sounds a lot like our resident 71 year old thread destroyer, so maybe he's not so young..

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/18/19 9:48 p.m.

Ok let's be serious, not everyone reads all the posts and people just like to be a tough crowd. 

I was obviously joking about why I wanted a stroker kit, and it wouldn't be anywhere near the 4.0L 500hp. 

Again, back to the 996 GT3 target. With 390hp I do believe this would set a faster lap time at VIR. Lap times are all I care about these days. I don't need to race anyone, or set up cones, just the personal satisfaction of not only building an underdog, but driving it on a track listed on fastestlaps.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/19/19 6:43 a.m.

With a lot of development I think it's possible. I don't see it happening without tons of testing and development though. As good as the 1LE package is it's going to need tweaking, and likely lots of it, to get there.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/19/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

The whole point of this thread is that GM has already done all the development on the Nurburgring with the ZL1 1LE . Given that this would be an even lighter car it would be even better handling, not only better than a 996 GT3 but also the faster GTi Clubsport S. It's a no brainer.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
3/19/19 10:45 a.m.
svxsti said:

The whole point of this thread is that GM has already done all the development on the Nurburgring with the ZL1 1LE . Given that this would be an even lighter car it would be even better handling, not only better than a 996 GT3 but also the faster GTi Clubsport S. It's a no brainer.

You do understand that that 2.0T 1LE and V6 1LE are completely different than a ZL1 1LE, right?  Basically just the SS suspension and brakes, without the V8...

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/19/19 11:45 a.m.

We're 59 posts in... When's the actual build thread going to start?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/19/19 11:57 a.m.
Rodan said:
svxsti said:

You do understand that that 2.0T 1LE and V6 1LE are completely different than a ZL1 1LE, right?  Basically just the SS suspension and brakes, without the V8...

GM used to sell the full suspension setup from the Z/28 and it would bolt into the base car. I wonder if the same would apply to the ZL1 1LE? That would be great but I don't think they do.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
3/19/19 12:32 p.m.

The DSSV shock/spring kit from the ZL1 1LE is ~$5000, IIRC, but you can buy it separately. 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/19/19 12:53 p.m.
J1000
J1000 New Reader
3/19/19 2:14 p.m.

Wow this thread has more replies than a handful of recent build threads and it doesn't even have a single photo or ounce of content. Just a bunch of "what if what ifs." And here I thought something interesting was happening in here.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/19/19 2:43 p.m.

Here I was coming in here hoping to see a 6th gen camaro build. I have a couple sads.

To OP, good luck with whatever it is you're doing.

EDT
EDT Reader
3/19/19 2:51 p.m.
svxsti said:

https://www.procharger.com/automotive-superchargers/general-motors/camaro-v6/2014-10-camaro-v6-36

Mic drop

But doesn’t this just bring you back to the complexity of a variety of extra coolers needed to keep it happy on track? 

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/19/19 3:05 p.m.
EDT said:
svxsti said:

https://www.procharger.com/automotive-superchargers/general-motors/camaro-v6/2014-10-camaro-v6-36

Mic drop

But doesn’t this just bring you back to the complexity of a variety of extra coolers needed to keep it happy on track? 

True, a stroker kit would be more satisfying.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yW8EvTluVstMx4L9xke2hflungL3Yx0g1R8mFQm9ta8664W1Hj4FibycmS1bjuGZ