1 2
Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 8:45 p.m.

Over the past couple of years, I have written about my Dad and his Catrike Villager. He and the trike have come north for the summer, and I decided that it needed a bit of a once over.

To recap, the trike is two years old and my Dad is 87.

Overall, it's in great shape, but it was pretty dirty. He had also loaded it up with every accessory under the sun when he bought it. Many turned out to be unnecessary. I stripped it down a bit, cleaned everything and gave it a tune up.

I started off by removing the rear bag and tossing it in the trash. The Sun had done a number on it. I also decided to remove the rear rack for now. Since it will now be used mainly indoors on a trainer and on bike trails, I removed both mirrors (one was broken), three lights, two bells and an air horn. Yes... a freakin' air horn. I left the fenders, arm rests, chain guards and assist handles on.

The mesh seat unbuckles easily and it was soaked in Simple Green and scrubbed down. The tires have been replaced, but I'm pretty sure that the chain is original. I loaded up my ancient Park Chain Scrubber with Spin Doctor Cleansafe degreaser and removed two years worth of sand and grease. The chain rings, derailleur and rear cassette cleaned up with just a dry brush. Florida is flat, flat, flat, so the brake pads and cables were still in good shape.

The brake discs, however, are pretty crusty. The braking surface itself is fine, but the spokes of the discs are rusty. Since it's really just an aesthetic thing though, I'll remove them, drop them in Evapo-Rust for a few days (along with any non-stainless hardware) and reuse them. I'm hoping to tackle this within the next day or so.

The frame was cleaned and polished, but the seat is still drying.

It was never all that heavy, but it is noticeably lighter now without all the added junk. I think the bare trike without accessories is about 34 pounds.

The plan is to set this up on a Sportcrafters trike trainer so he can ride indoors while he recovers from some surgery.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 8:45 p.m.

Before:

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 8:46 p.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 8:55 p.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 8:55 p.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 8:56 p.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 8:57 p.m.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 8:57 p.m.

Pretty basic stuff for now, but I thought someone might be interested in seeing what one of these things looks like uncovered. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/23/18 9:00 p.m.

Wow, that's a whole lot of chain. Cool bike. I don't know anything about them.

adam525i
adam525i Reader
7/23/18 9:02 p.m.

Cool Trike, love the colour.

If that chain(s, there's got to be more than one strung together for that length) is original with 15,000 miles on it then it is probably time to replace it.

This guide will help you measure it to see if it has stretched and should be replaced - https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/when-to-replace-a-chain-on-a-bicycle

Adam

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
7/23/18 9:03 p.m.
Woody said:

Pretty basic stuff for now, but I thought someone might be interested in seeing what one of these things looks like uncovered. 

Interesting, indeed. Especially since I had no idea what it was by the name.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 9:04 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes, a lot of chain, but it does about the same amount of work proportional to a regular bike chain. But yeah, when it gets replaced, I'll go with cheap chain because there's so much of it.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 9:07 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I actually have another Catrike that I bought for my Dad to ride when he comes up to visit, so I've messed about with the chains a bit. The original chains are one long piece with a single master link, but chain length needs to be adjusted for the riders height. The boom length (distance from seat to pedals) is easily adjustable, but the chain needs to be shortened or lengthened each time. I have pre-measured drop in sections of chain for three different riders on the other trike.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/23/18 9:19 p.m.

Here he is riding the other trike last fall. This one is a Catrike Trail, which is a little lower, longer and narrower. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/24/18 7:06 a.m.

Occupied it looks much smaller.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/24/18 7:18 a.m.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy Reader
7/24/18 7:42 a.m.

Recumbent trikes are great fun - think human-powered sports car.  I’m a bike mechanic and we’re a Catrike dealer.  They are beautifully made right here in the USA (The only domestic manufacturer left, I believe). The temptation to add accessories  is pretty strong and we often see trikes loaded with stuff.  Wishing your dad a speedy recovery...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/24/18 8:03 a.m.
Sanchinguy said:

Recumbent trikes are great fun - think human-powered sports car.  I’m a bike mechanic and we’re a Catrike dealer.  They are beautifully made right here in the USA (The only domestic manufacturer left, I believe). The temptation to add accessories  is pretty strong and we often see trikes loaded with stuff.  Wishing your dad a speedy recovery...

Thanks! I agree that they are beautifully made. One of the things that I noticed when I was cleaning it up is that the Made in USA decal is peeling off. I'm going to contact Catrike to see if I can buy a replacement for it.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/24/18 8:04 a.m.
914Driver said:

Occupied it looks much smaller.

The white one is lower, but longer than the green one.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/24/18 8:28 a.m.

Im no barometer of cool for sure, but I think that's pretty cool. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/24/18 8:39 a.m.

I just sent a note to Catrike asking if I could buy some replacement decals. I received an email response four minutes later (!) saying that they would send some my way.

That's some pretty remarkable customer service right there!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/24/18 8:43 a.m.
stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/24/18 8:55 a.m.

I'm impressed by your dad for putting on those many miles in two years, and also by you for owning three Workmates.  smiley

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/24/18 10:19 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

I'm impressed by your dad for putting on those many miles in two years, and also by you for owning three Workmates.  smiley

Workmates are awesome!! The one on the right was a Father's Day gift from my brother and me to my Dad back around 1977. I bought the other two a few years ago after throwing away my sawhorses forever. The new ones are much better, but if I could find two more 70s vintage ones, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/24/18 10:48 a.m.

More kudos for your dad for racking up 7500 miles a year in his mid-80's.

I've got a Workmate that looks like your 70's one that's from the 90's. And you can still get them. Unless you like the old one just because old is cooler laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tOgQDJo5dmlCExDiPndFDEls6S0LFu0yqHVJvkTCj4pZMdQcRLxIpKOckVt6o6Re