1 2 3 4
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
5/31/19 1:47 p.m.

I tried real hard to get a cracked head / intermix Boxster for challenge money but the owner wouldn’t budge.  Good luck and have fun!

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
5/31/19 1:56 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

I saw this one shared on the Facebooks a while back, but assumed it was a scam or something shady was going on. Kinda bummed I didn't look into it further now, but I don't know nuffin bout Porsches anyway so who am I kidding?

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
5/31/19 2:39 p.m.

Mid-day update:

I haven't done anything more to the car yet today. I spent the morning catching up on lawn mowing and working on the 91 Golf GTI that's in the garage, trying to wrap up current work before the Boxster goes in. Plumbers were here today hooking up our kitchen remodel. One of them said that he had seen the car on FB too.

I found my original receipt for the Audi V8. $400 engine., $50 ECU, $150 Freight. $600 total and "tested good". That's what I'm going to focus on first, If it goes sideways, I'll change plan to the '97 2.5L. I don't want to buy another parts donor or project car unless someone has an Audi TT and wants to trade even for the Dung Beetle or GTI.

In reply to Javelin :

Thanks for the offer, but I have a couple full sets of lights on the shelf. As far as selling stuff off the car, I haven't made a decision yet, but I think I will hold most of the parts that come off for potential restoration after the Challenge.

The car has a nice interior other than the seats and the body just has some minor issues. I would rip it all out to lighten the car, but since there is a Gastropod Class, I think I will keep it mostly intact. My initial thoughts on recoup are headlights and tail lights, spare tire and toolkit, plus salvageable parts from the engine. I think that will max out my recoup especially if I swap in some cracked and broken lights which have no value except to a parts hoarder.

Tonight I'll take some time to re-read the Challenge and Gastropod Rules. I want to take full advantage of anything that is budget exempt and make sure I understand the budget recoup correctly.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/1/19 10:19 p.m.

It's off the trailer now. I made a short walk around video to document the current 'as purchased' physical condition. I'll put it up later.

The budget for the car is my focus right now. three expenditures so far are $1,600 for the car, $600 for the (complete) engine, and a throttle cable assembly that I'm pretty sure was $25 from "Woody's Parts" in Bastrop, Texas. The ABZ engine uses a cable throttle and the Boxsters after 1999 use an electronic throttle. I bought the set-up in 2016 and still need to track down a receipt for that cable and pedal.

I still haven't taken time to look back over the Challenge rules. I'll get to it. On a $1,600 car can I recoup a full $1,000? I'd like to get a fresh timing belt and water pump on this engine while I have it out, but it's not something I need to do. Does factory AC have to work for a Gastropod or can I have an Ice-box & blower ducted in from the 'frunk'? Keeping the AC compressor makes things pretty tight with this swap. Lots of little things to work thru now before I commit to a path.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/1/19 10:36 p.m.

Recoup Stuff

For the parts coming off the car I can look at 'Solds' on eBay and get a pretty good idea of value. For the damaged, ugly parts I put back on the car, it will be a little more tough. From time to time people have sold things like these on the 986Forum "free for the cost of shipping". Here's some pics of what is coming off and going on. Feel free to opine and if I have trouble making a determination, I'll put it up for opinions on the 986Forum to validate FMV for recoup.

In addition to what is pictured below, I intend to pull: spare tire, the headlight washers (one in excellent condition, one fair), and the storage cubby behind the seats.

Litronic lights

Yellowed and cracked, no gasket:

Yellowed, chipped, burned lens, gummy deteriorated gasket:

Nice pair of newer tails:

Big Chips:

Cracked red lens:

packrat
packrat New Reader
6/2/19 5:53 a.m.

I really want to see this at the challenge!

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/2/19 9:01 a.m.

I went over the rules. As I understand: $1,000 max recoup is fine for the Challenge, but over $200 recoup not spent on specific maintenance items would violate the Gastropod class. The only way that this car makes the Gastropod class is if I economically repair the original engine. I'm pretty sure that some pieces of cylinder wall and rod bounced around inside there, so most likely I'm sticking with the ABZ V8 plan as a 'normal' Challenge car.  From the Gastropod rules:

Edit: We've added a tiny limited recoup capped at $200. To remain eligible for the Gastropod trophy, recoup $ can only be spent on: 

Hoses

Belts including timing

Electrical wear items, points cap/rotor plugs and wires. 

Gaskets necessary for the retention of fluids.

I like the idea of the Gastropods. It's about fun and encouraging participation from people who otherwise may not be competitive. At the heart of this, that's where I am. I followed along online with last years Challenge, watching some of the builds and catching much of JG's live feed. My true goal for this year is to be there and participate. If I can actually do it with a Boxster, that is about all the Awesomeness I can stand. What trophy am I going for? "Best Challenge Boxster, 2019"

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/2/19 1:01 p.m.

Here's the video showing the current condition of the car, as purchased:

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
6/2/19 1:43 p.m.

I don’t think shipping costs factor in. (From the motor)

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/2/19 2:05 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Incorrect. Shipping of the Challenge vehicle doesn't count. Parts shipping does. 

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/2/19 6:38 p.m.

"Don't Lowball me, I know what I have":

My recoup estimates. Does this make sense? Am I doing it right:

Recoup, based on recent solds from eBay.

• Litronic Headlights, pair with corner piece. “Trending at $411.33" (each side)   Recoup desired - $800
  • Headlight washers, pair. One excellent, one fair. Solds about $50 ea.    Recoup desired - $75 for the pair
  • Rear storage compartment – Solds about $130+.    Recoup desired - $125

That's a quick $1,000 and there's a lot more that will be coming off. I'll easily be over the $1,600 I paid for the car if I itemize it all with engine parts and unneeded interior.

Here is a look at comparables that I'll include on the balance sheet:

Litronics:

Headlight Washers:

Rear Storage:

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
6/3/19 2:20 p.m.

Seems reasonable, keep in mind $1000 is your recoup limit. Trades are unlimited though, including (within reason) trades to your own garage. 

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/3/19 3:39 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the recoup right and work out a quick path to max it at $1,000. Regarding trades... I hadn't really paid attention to that until now. Most of the "trade" info I see is in the FAQ. This may change things significantly for me.

Reading this:

Q: Am I allowed to trade with myself if the parts traded have an equal FMV?

A: Certainly, it should be noted in your build with a total of $0.

It seems that I can do the full $1,000 recoup and then trade $600 of engine parts off my car to pay in full for my $600 engine?

A couple "parts only" "core" engines just like what's in mine are on eBay for well over the cost of my Audi engine option.

If that's the case, that really opens up my budget.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/3/19 4:29 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

I want to see this V8 swap happen so bad! 

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/3/19 5:05 p.m.
java230
java230 UltraDork
6/3/19 5:16 p.m.

Following along :D

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/3/19 7:26 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

Trades are unlimited as long as the FMV’s are documented similarly.  Seems like shooting fish in a barrel...

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/4/19 11:11 a.m.

Trades... What do I have to trade? Oh wait, what about a Boxster?

Insanity. Cheating? Rule bending? Actually I think it makes good sense all the way around and will be in compliance with all the rules. It is just going to be a lot of work to keep the documentation straight.

I started taking things off the car, de-valuing it. It seemed odd. Here's a nice 109k mile 2001 chassis with a bad engine, but overall great condition, and I'm pulling all the goodness off to lower the value. Parked right next to it is my daughter's car (owned by me but totally used by her). A 145k mile 1999 model with some paint and body issues, minor damage to the top, faded interior, and plenty of wear and tear. Other than a bad engine, the 2001 is a nicer car all around. It seems crazy not to do it.

What I'm proposing: Trade the 2001 chassis for the 1999 chassis. Take parts off the 1999 until it's an even swap with the 2001. When I work through it in my mind, the only thing that the '99 has that is 'better' is a good running engine. The only budget advantage that the '99 has for the Challenge is that the '99 has a cable throttle already instead of the 'e-gas' throttle. In the end I have a nicer car for my daughter and a car that I am more comfortable stripping out for the Challenge.

The trade could be documented with as much detail as needed: Wire for wire, hose for hose, fender for fender or one big swap rolling chassis for rolling chassis. Both cars are of similar build as base model Boxsters with Tiptronic transmission. Recoup could still be maxed with the parts I listed in the previous post and the bad Boxster engine could still be traded in value for my Audi engine.

I just need some peer confirmation before diving into this wonderful pile of Porscheness. I'll link this post in the $2000 Challenge section to make sure I get the right eyes on it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/4/19 11:35 a.m.

i'd have no problem accepting what you're describing as being within the letter and the spirit.   then again, my build might push some rule changes for 2020, so glass houses and all that.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
6/4/19 12:00 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

This might be a perfect situation to contact Tom at the magazine and clarify before you jump too far from the cliff.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/4/19 12:17 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

In reply to AAZCD :

This might be a perfect situation to contact Tom at the magazine and clarify before you jump too far from the cliff.

Agree.  If i have something strange to ask i go right to the source

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/4/19 12:39 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Thanks... Message sent.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/4/19 1:21 p.m.
Patrick said:
stafford1500 said:

In reply to AAZCD :

Agree.  If i have something strange to ask i go right to the source

Are you saying Tom is the source of strange?

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/4/19 3:46 p.m.

I really want this to work, but i do see a potential flaw in my theory.

The beginning of the Budget heading in the Challenge rules:

Budget:

Net cost of the Challenge car and its preparation for presentation at the event must be equal to or less than $2000. Your purchase price of the Challenge car cannot top $2000.

"Challenge car" Exactly how do we define that? A start point for trading? A VIN tag? The Car I'm intending to use as a chassis source in this trade was originally purchased cheap, but not for under $2,000. Much of it's story is here: 1999 for sale in Atlanta and here: This & That

I think that the logic of the trade makes perfect sense: The purchase price of the 2001 was $1,600 and all that I am trading from the 1999 is of less or equal value including the VIN. Nothing moves and no decision made until I hear something official. My garage is still too full of VW debris to make much actual progress at the moment anyway.

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
6/5/19 9:04 p.m.

We have decided...

I'm going to do what I want to do. If I have a Challenge Boxster at the end of it, awesome. If I don't, awesome. I really thought about it. My abandoned or delayed projects all have one thing in common. They stopped being fun to work on. The projects I enjoyed were ones that I took my own inspiration without time pressures or worry for cost, and just let it flow wherever it led me; As documented here with the Dung Beetle and Flood Car.

Right now my inspiration is to make this a two-car project: Get the '01 back on the road and make the '99 a 'Challenger'. I'm happy with that. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else or fit into the shoebox of “Challenge car”. I hope that my choices and the Challenge align enough to make it work. Much of my fun in this is to meet the Challenge rules with the build, but if it goes a different way or crosses a line, I'm not looking back. Life is too short. Family in Florida can scout us a $1,000 beater to throw borrowed tires on and have fun at the Challenge if that's the way it goes.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0XLfsQQD0urfl397Ll4ICYExRGxiwXFXK1PgtqLNmelKW6cb5CsxYkuEKpqaj6iD