1 2 3
jmc14
jmc14 Reader
12/18/18 4:23 p.m.

Hello everyone,  Over the past 2 years I've posted updates of my "Cheetah inspired build".  My car is not a replica and I don't want to infringe on the Bill Thomas Cheetah history or intellectual property.  I've filed for the Trademark of "Chesnut Wildcat".  It keeps the name of my car in the "Big Cat" family.  I'll post my build progress here going forward.

I finished my frame development and body design.  I had molds made and built a jig.  I picked up the first 2 bodies from the molds a couple of weeks ago.  Today I finished tacking together a second frame.  I've added some bars to the second frame.  Before I did the final welding and painting I wanted to test fit every thing again.

I weighed the frame and it currently weighs 233lbs.  The body weighs 95lbs.  This will be a fairly light car.

I've built a number of cars. This is the first one that I'm completely happy with the size and shape.  I love it. I'm anxious now to get it built.  I should start the build next week.  Having fun!

dherr
dherr HalfDork
12/18/18 6:15 p.m.

Anxiously watching your build, looks amazing so far

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
12/23/18 11:57 a.m.

Thank you for your comments.

I met with a company Thursday that has a chassis/fab/machine, and paint shop.  I'm bringing my frame/body to them Jan 2nd. They will finish welding and fab front and rear bumpers.  The bumpers are need in NY for me to register it. They'll also work up a price to build future frames.  (if needed).

This week I welded up some new windshield mounting brackets.  I set the height of the windshield base at 1/64inch above the body.  I don't want to stress the body.

I cut out a pair of dividing panels that I glassed into the nose. They stiffen the nose, provide the mounting points for the full tilt hood hinge, and create the radiator duct. 

Having fun

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/23/18 12:00 p.m.

It's a great looking car.  smiley  What's the engine, a small block Chevy?

I wonder if Buick still has a trademark on the Wildcat name...

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/23/18 12:08 p.m.

So Special.

Be Still My Heart.!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
12/23/18 12:08 p.m.

It's set up for a small block Chevy or LS engine.C4 Corvette suspension bolts in. (Converted to coil overs) 

in a Trademark search Wildcat for Builck/GM doesn't come up.  That being said, by using Chesnut Wildcat my Trademark attorney says that it will be granted.   We will see. 

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/4/19 8:35 p.m.

I ended up with lots of family visiting over the holidays so I spent time with them and not on the car.  Family is number 1.

I just got back to finishing up the frame.  I'm test fitting everything one last time.  I'm hoping to get the frame to the chassis shop next week for final welding.

I'm using readily available parts for this build.  I purchased headers and 48 inch side pipes for Patriot.  The headers will hook up to the side pipes with a 90 degree tube.  Tomorrow I'll put the body back on and mount the side pipes.

In the past I've used an internal clutch slave.   When they fail you have to pull the transmission to replace. For this build I'm using an external "pull" slave.  It looks like its in the way, but, it's not. (Thankfully)

I set the car down on blocks at ride height.  I wanted to double check the shock mounts.  (60 percent travel available for compression.)

This car is tiny. :)

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/4/19 9:33 p.m.

Really glad to see that you’re continuing to make good progress with this build. What a car!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/5/19 3:35 p.m.

I didn't do much today.  But, I put the body on so that I could test fit the side pipes. Ends up that they will be easy to use. Tomorrow I'll fab and weld the necessary brackets.

I'm using a Hot Rod aluminum gauge cluster.  I think that it fits the car well.

I set a "Cobra" style gas filler cap on the rear deck to see what it looks like.  I'm trying to decide between it and a smaller, flush mounted cap.

I'm cutting out the fiberglass sides of the cockpit that run along the sides.  I have fiberglass "shelf" pieces that I'll glass in. This will provide more shoulder room, a great arm rest, and make it easy to cut in half doors if I want them. 

This car is only 145 inches long. Shorter than an NA Miata. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/5/19 5:48 p.m.

In reply to jmc14 :

That looks great!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/5/19 5:54 p.m.

It just keeps getting better and better.  smiley  I think you really nailed the design.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/5/19 6:43 p.m.

Thank you for your kind words. 

I love the 50-60's sports racers and old fiberglass sports cars.  This car is my attempt to build a car with those styling ques but to my taste.  I am happy with the way it's turning out.

I wish that I had a bigger budget.  I would like a killer motor with cross flow ITB fuel injection, wider rear wheels and tires, custom headers and side pipes, and a killer interior and paint.  My goal for now is to get the car on the road then upgrade as I'm able.

I had someone suggest this gas cap.  I like it!

preach
preach New Reader
1/5/19 7:43 p.m.

Yep

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
1/5/19 7:44 p.m.

I'll take one in aqua blue so I can put this plate on it. 

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/5/19 8:00 p.m.
TenToeTurbo said:

Cool!  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/5/19 8:55 p.m.

Getting in looks easy but I’m not sure I can get out of it.  

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/5/19 9:50 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Getting in looks easy but I’m not sure I can get out of it.  

I can put in half doors.  That sets the step over height at 20 inches. Then if needed a lifting seat!

Ive had 7 knee surgeries and have a replacement knee.  I might need that solution!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/5/19 10:01 p.m.
TenToeTurbo said:

OK, I give up.  What does it mean?

mblommel
mblommel Dork
1/5/19 10:26 p.m.

Looks fantastic John. Keep it going!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/5/19 11:28 p.m.

Thank you Mike.

In the past I built a Cobra.  I'm on a Cobra forum and have been posting this build there.  One of the members just sent me his photo shop of my car.  I love it. He gave me permission to use it. 

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
1/6/19 12:24 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Water Chestnut

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/6/19 7:26 a.m.

Wow. Looks awesome! 

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/6/19 1:04 p.m.

I've decided to put in provisions for half doors.  Today I started to mock up the piece that will go from the inside frame rail to the outer body skin.  I will finish this, make a mold for each side and then the final piece.  It will be one piece that mounts to the frame and bonds to the inside of the body skin.  This will provide more shoulder and arm room.  The outer body skin can be cut, reinforced and then used as the door. This will make the step over height 20 inches. 

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
1/6/19 1:51 p.m.

It is really coming together. It looks like it will be a fun car when completed.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
1/6/19 4:39 p.m.
Hasbro said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

Water Chestnut

*Water Chesnutwink

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AFP5Mz47NGnKhZbEZ7LgaAg1xC4xgRgOkjUP90WqyJwEl2Fpc5enQQ8sDqZDwYtU