4 5 6 7 8
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/24/20 7:19 p.m.

I got some random 8 lug gm steelies hanging around if you want them. 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/20 7:22 p.m.

I don't know about multiple but i do need a spare.

8/24/20 9:05 p.m.

I'll send you some pictures tomorrow. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/25/20 7:54 a.m.

Just realized something.  Is that a 2" reciever on the front?

That can be useful, especially if your winch is on a reciever mount.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
8/25/20 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Kinda, it is a receiver tube bolted to the bumper, not something I would want to pull from. That may change in the future. Now it has a new bike rack in it that I found on FB marketplace to replace the old crusty one that came with it.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
8/26/20 4:37 p.m.

The floor is back in for good and the vinyl sheet is installed over it. The remnant I got wasn't quite long enough for the whole length so I had to finish the back with some random scraps. That area is going to be covered with the bed and pullout drawers anyway so it doesn't even really need the vinyl. 

Next up is wall and ceiling insulation and the bed platform. That will probably wait until after the rallycross this weekend. 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
9/4/20 5:48 p.m.

I decided to work on the Opel this week, it had been sitting in the back yard for a few years. Some of this was posted on the Kadettenclub thread. 

After messing around with it a while I got spark but it wasn't great. I couldn't get it to fire. 

Today I made a new ground cable from the starter to the frame and a new negative battery cable. I still need to make the positive battery cable. After some cranking and starter fluid it still didn't want to run. 

I made a fresh fuel system and hooked up the fuel line to the carb to see if that would help. 

After some more cranking and coaxing of the carb it finally started and ran!

Apologies for the vertical video, I didn't even notice until I watched it after, I was just excited that it started. The left front blinker is going whenever the battery is connected.

There is a horrible clanking at idle from the front cover, it was there while cranking as well. Maybe timing chain or tensioner?

Next steps are to replace the water pump (recieved the new one today), add an aluminum radiator that I purchased a while ago for this project and adapt some radiator hoses. Flush out the fuel system and get it running off the tank. 

After that I will replace the fuse block with a blade style one, probably redo a lot of the wiring, put in a push button start that I have since the ignition switch doesn't start it and do a lot of cleaning. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/4/20 6:00 p.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

Weren't you going to bike engine this midships?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/4/20 6:10 p.m.

E50 alt-fueled Opel!

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
9/4/20 6:20 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Weren't you going to bike engine this midships?

No, that's the other 67 Kadett wagon that I have...because one isn't enough.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
9/8/20 6:48 p.m.

I drove the Opel from the back yard to the driveway for some more cleanup. After removing most of the remaining things that could smell terrible in the interior I pressure washed it inside and out. 

Also, stickers!

Then I removed the water pump since my new one had arrived. Opel GT Source didn't have any in stock with a pulley so I removed the pulley from mine. Unfortunately I cracked the cast pulley while removing it so it is junk. Possibly fortunately it wouldn't have worked with the water pump I received anyway. The pulley that came off was a different design than the one meant to go on the new water pump. There are some on Ebay with pulleys so I guess I get to spend another $40 to get one that will work. 

I should probably also flush the cooling system. 

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/8/20 7:47 p.m.

That is one good looking wagon. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/20 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

With some fugly coolant passages

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
9/15/20 8:03 p.m.

Bed platform is in the van. I still need to trim the mattress topper and maybe anchor it better. Right now it is just sitting in on the legs but the plywood top fits well enough that it doesn't move around much. 

9/16/20 7:04 a.m.

Glad the kadet is getting the love it so wants. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/16/20 11:29 a.m.

it's a compact double decker!

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
12/13/20 6:01 p.m.

I took the rally tires off the Miata today to swap to snow tires for winter storage. I found something disappointing and will unfortunately have to retire the Revolutions. It is a shame since I really liked them. This one was the worst but they all had evidence of cracking on the rear of the spokes. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/13/20 6:26 p.m.

Dang, that's stinks!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/13/20 7:47 p.m.

Wow, that could have been ugly.

Do you have any other 14" 4x100 wheels?  They make 185/60-15 rally tires but I think the taller sidewall of the 14s is better.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/13/20 8:03 p.m.

Carkid has those Borbet type t that would work pretty well

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
12/13/20 8:29 p.m.

I have other 14s to put the rally tires on. I also have some 175/15 rally tires to mount on something. Bonus if they also work on the mini i just bought.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/13/20 8:37 p.m.

Welcome to hell, population you.

Awesome driving cars.  Phenomenal driving cars.  But yeesh.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
12/14/20 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That's what I hear. Time to find out. 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/14/20 8:15 a.m.

I love that color so much.

I'm curious how this car works out for you.  I test drove a JCW a while back and thought it was lots of fun.  Way too heavy of a clutch for the commute I was doing at the time.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
12/14/20 10:37 a.m.

Since I am planning on bringing the MINI to the challenge next year I will document the budget here. 

Here is the For Sale thread for future reference: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/for-sale-my-other-2004-mini-cooper-s-project-ky-850-to-a-grmer/179292/page1/

Once I got the car unloaded Friday I decided to do some testing since it was unseasonably warm for Ohio at around 60°. I put in a good battery and got it started and let it run for a bit to warm up. Then I got out a can of brake clean with a straw to direct the spray at different areas in the general vicinity of the vacuum leak. I found that the only area that made a difference in the idle was the shaft on the vacuum diaphragm for the bypass valve. After doing more research I also found out that the vacuum diaphragm is supposed to pull the shaft in at idle to close the bypass valve but this one does not move under any conditions (idle, throttle, etc.). I figured that was a good enough place to start so I ordered a new bypass valve from Amazon which will arrive today and I hope to have time to install in a day or two. 

Purchase Price: $850
Bypass Valve: $49.45

Total: $899.45

List of recent maintenance for reference and one of the reasons I was willing to buy it. 

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QhPgoaWrjYUSFHT8AvgEP185jbqZ9FVsf09UdIR4E4uEXvRvECF5ZwJ0c1e0w8mu