1 2 3 4
Skervey
Skervey Reader
4/26/15 9:02 p.m.

The dual cannons look good! I kinda like the look on these cars, kinda hate the honda world ruined the "fart" cans I like they way they look but now anything with them is automatically a ricer to "non" car people. Also what are your plans with the suspension? The back of that car could come down a little. My car has ebay drop struts I think 2" drop and its sits just right but couldn't say how it rides my car doesn't run yet

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
4/27/15 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Skervey:

Thanks! I agree with the fart cans. The difference though is the quality of muffler and sound quality for me though. It does need some suspension work. I autocrossed it yesterday and it seemed VERY worn out. I have yet to decide if I want to do just shocks and struts or full coilovers. I know I'd like to do thicker sway bars. My main goal though is to fix all the worn out stuff before I start dumping money into performance parts. I'd like to replace allllllllll the worn out bushings and fix all the rust. Really make it solid then mod the rest of it.

I ran in STR yesterday with 4 honda S2000s and got... Beat. It was roughly 4 sec from the fastest to me. Considering how heavily modified those cars were and how worn out and slow the rx7 is, I don't feel all that bad. Driver mod is king!

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
4/27/15 1:01 p.m.

Couple pictures from yesterday. Forgot to charge my gopro so no videos

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
4/27/15 6:55 p.m.

When are you going to paint the hood and headlight covers?

Nice progress.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
4/28/15 8:37 a.m.

In reply to amg_rx7:

When I get some money for paint haha

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
4/30/15 7:39 a.m.

I'm still hunting my blinker issue. I can actually hear the clicker with the left AND right blinker but no lights other than the rear left. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to find a gremlin.

Here's an okay video of the exhaust

Exhaust Fun Car

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
5/7/15 2:37 p.m.

Well... Operation fix a simple squeak turned into Operation fix rusted bolts and nuts. So. Many. Nuts. Such rusted brackets.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
5/7/15 3:30 p.m.

Sounds mean! And that sucks about the bolts... got to love cars.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/7/15 3:48 p.m.

Surprisingly quiet!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/7/15 10:18 p.m.

In reply to Skervey and Cleverfrog: I think that you guys shouldn't care about what people think about the "fart can" exhaust. Some non-car people may still call yours that just because you don't have an American V8 rumble. Honestly, people may not even tell you that they hate how your car sounds, they may just complain to their friends. I would know, because I bought a 97 Civic with a 3" exhaust, and it was so berkeleyin loud! No one ever said E36 M3 to me about it, and I didn't really care. Now that I remember the loud exhaust, it's probably why I have a slight loss of hearing at 29. A few months before I junked it, I put on a 2" custom exhaust with a racing muffler because the big muffler broke. It sounded great, kind of like a race car. It had an unfinished look to it, and I had to tell my performance shop to not put a chrome tip on it because race car (It was my first autocross car).

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
5/8/15 9:02 a.m.

Thanks everyone!

If I really cared about the fart can thing I wouldn't have done it hahaha. Just sucks that people have that state of mind when they look at cars. Looking at picking up a header this weekend :) That ought to fix my leak (with a new set of gaskets of course).

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
6/2/15 2:16 p.m.

I scored an entire 3rd member with clutched diff from an 88 NA so drop out and drop in :) AND FTP lenses. Got the limited slip for SO cheap. Couldn't pass it up. After much reading and comparing clutched and helical and torsen and etc. I decided clutched was best for road racing and autocross. Plus it's rebuild-able. Other than that I'll be blasting my pace setter header's regular black paint off and spraying it with some ceramic soon. No more squeaky bumper brackets either Slowly but surely it's being restored to it's former glory. Just need to paint the hood and headlight covers. Then, start collecting rebuild parts little by little.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
6/2/15 4:29 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: Some non-car people may still call yours that just because you don't have an American V8 rumble.

Oh thats why I win! I will have the V8 rumble!! Haha ya but a good point.

And nice score on the LSD rear end!!

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
6/11/15 8:44 a.m.

Going to try and put my freshly ceramic coated header on this weekend Got the ftp lenses and the lsd rear end. Have to fix one stud on a lens before installing. Then its only a matter of time before I clean, paint and install the rear end. Not set on if I want to stiffen it or put some new mounting hardware in it or what. So many variables to consider.

Harvey
Harvey HalfDork
6/11/15 2:12 p.m.

A fully prepped STR S2000 is a really fast car.

The clutch type rear is very stout, shouldn't need to be rebuilt with NA power, but it is pretty easy to redo if needed.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
6/15/15 9:07 a.m.

After some long hours and many busted knuckles my header and rest of the exhaust are finally fitted. RX-7 sounds so nice now at all rpms. I even got to drive my wife around in it for a little bit. Also, I managed to score a sweet welding "sunburn" on one arm. Looks pretty awesome. Shocking what a difference in sound the header made. Even my butt dyno felt an improvement Video to come when it stops raining.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
6/22/15 9:49 a.m.

Some pictures and an inside the car video Fantastic weekend. Hope you all had a great father's day!

acceleration video

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
6/26/15 3:23 p.m.

PS: my header looks like this now

Please ignore the runs as it was humid the day I was ceramic coating it.

Birdman0002
Birdman0002 New Reader
6/26/15 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Cleverfrog:

Looks Good! Will be nice to have the car one color one of these days :p

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
6/30/15 8:53 a.m.

Well, Sunday's autocross went okay I guess. I was up against 2 S2000's and ended up beating the one of them. It was a hollow victory though.

Something is up with the fuel sending unit or something. In left hand bends the engine would "be running", but cut out until it straightened out. After some research it looks like I need to open up the tank and do some inspecting.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
6/30/15 10:07 a.m.

How much fuel did you have in the tank? 2nd gens can fuel starve pretty easily with less than 1/3 tank.

Also, how are your engine mounts? We had a weird issue where the car would rev up on left hand turns because the engine moved and pulled the throttle cable. It actually destroyed the throttle cable after a little bit!

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
6/30/15 10:11 a.m.

It had 3/4 of a tank. The FAQ on rx7club says to check the fuel sock and the tank baffles.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
6/30/15 10:25 a.m.

yea, if the fuel sock came off I could see that.

The tank "baffles" is more like a can that sits around the fuel pump.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
6/30/15 10:30 a.m.

Yeah, I need to just open up the tank and check stuff out lol

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
7/2/15 1:41 p.m.

Well, I took the fuel sending assembly out of the tank and inspected it. Sock was clean, terminals on the pump looked good, connectors on everything looked good and the baffles in the tank still looked new. Gonna do some more reading and see if there's any other common issues with fuel.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0FGzUy0nsYctNGnvECmTxeFdxIV3Gs5l4X1VOrhYOh3wDqakx3iM5MIh0OdIHQlu