Axecutioner64
Axecutioner64 New Reader
12/20/18 10:25 p.m.

I'm designing a tube frame chassis for a casual track car/street sports car. However, I don't know what geometry to give to the driver's seat, steering wheel, and pedals. Are there any resources out there with typical car cockpit dimensions for these things, including appropriate pedal, steering wheel, and seat adjustability? Or is my best bet to go find someone's sports car to measure? Thanks!

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
12/20/18 10:44 p.m.

In reply to Axecutioner64 :

Are you designing something for the general case, or something for yourself? I would think if the latter, the ideal would be to mock up a cockpit with whatever's handiest to work with 'til you get it where you want it, then design in a little adjustability around that range for the idea that once you're actually using it you might want to tweak things a bit. Or in case you want co-drivers.

And don't forget that the distances will probably adjust with different heights (e.g. I imagine seat back to edge of seat to pedals isn't exactly the same if you have the seat at pickup truck height then down at single-seater racecar height), so if you're going to measure examples, make sure they resemble your architecture.

Axecutioner64
Axecutioner64 New Reader
12/21/18 12:35 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

It's a demo vehicle to be owned and operated by a racetrack, to attract people to trying and participating in track days. I have to consider a lot of different heights.

I also don't yet have the seats or other components yet, and won't for a while...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/21/18 12:51 a.m.

Careful about your liabilities on such a project...  

There's a wide range, from pickup truck to formula car you put on like pants. Miata might be the golden standard.

Axecutioner64
Axecutioner64 New Reader
12/22/18 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Liabilities are taken care of, but thanks for the concern. I think Miata / BRZ / S2000 is the standard I'm going for, but I can't find dimensions for these cars

PeteD
PeteD New Reader
12/22/18 3:04 p.m.

Maybe starting with human dimensions would help. Link

-- Pete

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
777J0CZgLzkFSppvIWw66HnknkzoQLY4CINwYZpKGrLbMDy6JxTgZykSVmrLsb9g