BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/10/17 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Dammit:

I suspect so. Either then, or when I was pirouetting across the highway.

Not sure what we'll do yet, it does hinge on it being totaled or not. I'm not sure I want another automatic 996, but we do need another car with an automatic transmission that my wife is also comfortable with driving.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/10/17 5:39 p.m.

That sucks. Bet thats at least $10k in damage...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/10/17 6:02 p.m.

That wouldn't surprise me - I just priced the known bad parts up (front bumper cover plus air guide underneath, rear bumper cover, rear light) and those parts alone come to a good $4k according to Auto Atlanta. I suspect there's more damage under the front bumper cover so that's just the tip of the iceberg. And of course we're talking parts in primer here.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/10/17 6:19 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I'm not sure I want another automatic 996, but we do need another car with an automatic transmission that my wife is also comfortable with driving.

PDK.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/10/17 6:34 p.m.
Woody wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: I'm not sure I want another automatic 996, but we do need another car with an automatic transmission that my wife is also comfortable with driving.
PDK.

Out of my budget, at least until the ND is paid for. But the though has occurred to me .

I don't really want another car payment, but I guess I could be convinced by a tiptronic 996 turbo.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
6/10/17 6:39 p.m.

Dude. Sorry to hear it. :(

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/11/17 1:16 p.m.

So far, based on the prices over at Auto Atlanta:

• Front bumper cover ~$1200
  • Air guide underneath ~$200
  • Rear bumper cover ~$2000
  • Rear light ~$600
  • Front lid ~$500

So that's about $4500 worth of damaged parts that I can see, that it doesn't include reworking the damaged rear fender, nor does it include paint. And that's also assuming that the driver's side headlight (which has shifted as part of the accident) doesn't need replacing. That headlight alone is another $1200.

Yikes.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/11/17 4:15 p.m.

Damn... but at least you're OK.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/11/17 4:37 p.m.

Ghetrocet.

But you walked away. Can't ask for more from the higher power than that.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/11/17 5:26 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Ghetrocet. But you walked away. Can't ask for more from the higher power than that.

That is true, and that's why I'm a) very thankful and b) rather Zen about the whole thing.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
6/11/17 6:29 p.m.

How to win at life:

1. Buy it back from insurance co if totaled.
  2. Swap it all into a Karmann Ghia!
Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/11/17 7:08 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: So far, based on the prices over at Auto Atlanta: - Front bumper cover ~$1200 - Air guide underneath ~$200 - Rear bumper cover ~$2000 - Rear light ~$600 - Front lid ~$500 So that's about $4500 worth of damaged parts that I can see, that it doesn't include reworking the damaged rear fender, nor does it include paint. And that's also assuming that the driver's side headlight (which has shifted as part of the accident) doesn't need replacing. That headlight alone is another $1200. Yikes.

Don't forget all of those pricey little German clips and fasteners.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/13/17 11:33 a.m.

My insurance's claims adjuster is going to drop by this morning to write up his estimate of the damage.

Any guesses as to what the lucky number is going to be?

I'm curious how it'll compare to the estimate I got from a local bodyshop yesterday.

Oh, and I ended up getting myself checked out at urgent care on Sunday. Looks like I've got a bunch of sprains (surprise) but am in better shape than the car.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/13/17 11:40 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

$8500

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/13/17 1:53 p.m.

I haven't got the final figure yet, but let's just say the current guesstimate is a bit higher than that, including some additional damage the bodyshop yesterday didn't notice.

The adjuster and I did a bit more digging and not only is one of the light housings damaged (Litronics, so they're $$$$tupid either new or used), there's some structural damage to the front of the car and the whole front appears to have shifted sideways a bit, too.

All of that makes me wonder why the airbags didn't go off.

Top marks to the insurance, the adjuster was really on the ball and super nice to deal with.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/13/17 3:57 p.m.

Hmm, I'm going to say $11,xxx and up to $14,xxx once the shop takes things apart for a better look

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/13/17 4:27 p.m.

In reply to docwyte:

You're pretty close to the ballpark, so there's a pretty good chance that the insurance will skip the "taking things apart for a better look" bit. I should know more by the end of the week, depends on how quickly they can get comps.

monknomo
monknomo Reader
6/13/17 4:46 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

I just looked up what Litronics cost...

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/13/17 5:44 p.m.

Structure damage - 15-18,000 range

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/13/17 8:32 p.m.

$15k

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/14/17 1:12 p.m.

Got "the word" - it's a total loss.

The estimate came in a bit over $15k, but that's without replacing the front clip. The adjuster did check with a Porsche approved bodyshop and they confirmed that the only Porsche approved way to repair the structural damage in the front is to replace the whole front clip. That's another $10k+ on top of the estimate above.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/14/17 1:18 p.m.

Thinking of a buy back and parting it? I suspect you could recoup a few extra bucks

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/14/17 1:30 p.m.

The buyback's actually pretty high ($7500-ish) and with me being away for most weekdays, I simply don't have the time to deal with the partout. The thought did cross my mind as one of the ex-members on here (maroon92) was interested in the motor and litronics, but the hassle with trying to recoup a few more bucks isn't worth it to me when I don't have time to part it out.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
6/14/17 1:52 p.m.

Aw man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your bad luck

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/14/17 3:07 p.m.

Well at least you can move on. What's on the radar next now that you've answered the question to what could possibly go wrong.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VZM8azRLUNXM7Xdh3MqkrndOUy6CWxRppNPlVXpJrZUVTIjX0IA4DY9BMSteNaBK