1 2 3 4
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/17 7:27 a.m.

While I generally lean towards Ford for vans, I admit the idea of a Dajiban has me considering a Dodge or GM instead for the better front suspension. Granted, it would be a raised-roof conversion Dajiban...

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
2/24/17 8:15 a.m.

I'm going with mndsm on this one. Make it look like someone inherited their older brother/Dad/Weird Uncle's Shaggin Wagon and immediately dropped it to the ground and started making dajiban mods to it.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/24/17 9:58 a.m.

I'm not sure how many actually know the true history of Dajibans.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
2/24/17 10:15 a.m.

Hemi swap, slam the suspension, meaty tires, and a kick-ass mural of wizards, dragons, and busty Valkyries on the side.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/24/17 10:26 a.m.

Dajibans are Dodge vans, by definition, preferably 4th Generation. Haulers built by motorcycle racers for more track fun when they aren't racing their bikes, and usually paying homage to the American military bases that these things originally came from over there. I am willing to tweak the formula just a bit by going a generation older with this one, but I don't know if I could change the make entirely.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/24/17 10:33 a.m.

From the outside, a Dajiban is just a Dodge van that's been lowered substantially and fitted with a lot of tire on some aftermarket wheels. So really, all I'm seeing out of this is folks telling you that they'd lower it on fat rubber. Kind of a standard response.

Now if someone suggested kanji script painted down the side I would suggest ignoring that.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/17 10:53 a.m.

In the US, I consider "Dajiban" to be a generic term for "full-size van built with pro-touring in mind". In theory, the A-Team van was the original "Dajiban" - or "Chebbiban" if you want to get technical...

While Mopars will always have a place in my heart, I kinda want a Chevy just so I have an excuse to finally swap a LS into something.

And I still want to figure out how to column-shift a T56..

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/24/17 1:51 p.m.
Cooter wrote:
NickD wrote: I'm voting Dajiban. Sorry, just never could stomach custom vans.
Which is the exact reason to build one.

Geekspeed
Geekspeed Reader
3/2/17 5:52 p.m.

I have to go with 70's custom dajiban. It would end up warping the space-time continuum, which would be awesome.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
3/13/17 6:53 a.m.

Hopefully will have it driving today. Amazon "lost" the first alternator, and the second doesn't charge at all. Dodge-ing (heh) the snowflakes to get a fresh batter out of the Jeep and a new regulator installed in hopes that I don't have to return this alternator and have to wait for a third one.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
3/13/17 7:13 a.m.

Also, looking for Dajibans I came across this one on the book of Faces. I remember his build from the Vannin' forums. Looks like he is going LS with his. There is also a really nice black one from PA that is a little closer to a custom van. Seeing both of these pretty much confirms that doing a '70s style custom Dajiban would feel like building an A-team van from a Pontiac Transport. So, I'm leaning towards full '70s style with the slots for visuals. The Dajiban is still in the back of my mind, however, and would be incredibly easy to duplicate, with just some wheels, stencils, cut coils, and some Dakota drop spindles.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
9/22/18 9:44 a.m.

Project glut, life overload, and health issues put this on the back burner for quite a while.   I have a bit of a plan, but it involves rotating rolling stock amongst the Tan Panther wagon, '78 D100, '87 2wd RamCharger, an '89 Jeep Comanche and a '98 Grand Cherokee that I am stripping for parts.  The Eagle just might end up in the mix just to see what some of the wheels look like on it, but I'm not sure at this point.

Also,threw some eBay $$$ I made selling eBay parts on this (these?) 

I'm taking a gamble, but if the pictured HEI dizzy shows up instead of the spindles that are described, I can just return it.  I can't find lowering spindles for less than $250 anywhere else.

N7Prime
N7Prime Reader
9/23/18 2:49 p.m.

Dajiban with Greg Universe's Van Style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijL2iwyNXSY&t=18s

Will
Will UltraDork
9/23/18 3:15 p.m.

Took this pic at John Wayne's birth house in Winterset, IA, and this seems like an appropriate time to post it.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
9/25/18 6:20 p.m.

Well, this is promising..

Seems too heavy for an HEI...

(Nice of them to hide that inside the other box, BTW.  Pretty sure that is why the outer box is round now)

Looking promising. 

Score!!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/25/18 7:27 p.m.
N7Prime said:

Dajiban with Greg Universe's Van Style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijL2iwyNXSY&t=18s

I gotcha fam 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
9/26/18 4:11 p.m.

Still need to take care of the charging issue.  While I may have received a bad alternator, I'm going to wire in an external voltage regulator, since starting in 1990, MoPar made the regulator part of the ECU, and I prefer having an easily replaced part if the regulator in the computer fails.  This is a fairly common issue, and I need to do this on a First Gen Cummins truck as well.  

Without further ado, here is a diagram (shamelessly stolen from the intrawebs)

Some things to keep in mind-

The wires shown coming from the alternator to the regulator are the field wires.  They are completely interchangeable, but whichever one goes to the center pin on the regulator must also be tied to the 12V keyed power.  I like to use a relay that gets switched by a 12v keyed position in the fusebox. 

If you wire directly to the battery, you will likely end up with a drain with the key off. 

If you go directly to the 12v keyed fuse, you have a chance of having a voltage drop, which may cause your regulator to overcharge the battery. 

Also, make sure you have an excellent ground to the voltage regulator; I like to use a heavy braided stainless ground strap, which can be found on most MoPars at the boneyard. 

The regulator is a standard Chrysler electronic regulator used from the early 70s to the end of the 80s.  They are pretty cheap, and small, so why not get a decent one, and carry a spare. 

The plug and harness can be bought online, or found in the JY along with the ground strap if you are a tightwad like myself. You will need to fish it out of the loom if you do this.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
10/5/18 12:23 p.m.

Spent a little time in the JY yesterday. 

I only found one voltage regulator harness in the yard I went to (on a 78 Omni, no less! When is the last time you saw one of those??) But while I was there, I got the bright idea to get an alternator harness as well. It was a bit of a struggle, since one of the field winding studs stripped out, but I managed. 

That should work. (My old alternator for fitment)

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
10/5/18 12:28 p.m.

Now, to find someplace to mount it. 

Not much room on the firewall close to the alternator.  What about the driver's side?

Ehhh. More room, but I'm not thrilled with the distance. 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
10/5/18 12:38 p.m.

Then I thought about the first photo with the harnesses. 

Hmmmm...

Maybe 

Paydirt!!

Yes, I can make this work. 

As an added bonus, I won't have to get my hands dirty if (when?) I have to replace it. 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
10/5/18 4:21 p.m.

Now that it is charging again, I'll pull the running boards, test fit the slots (big and littles, of course) fit the louvers on the rear windows, and maybe even wash it. 

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
10/5/18 4:42 p.m.

Cool build. 

Did that thing have cruise control? Will you be retaining it?  If no, I'd  e interested in it, if it's the same as mine. 

8valve
8valve Reader
10/5/18 4:45 p.m.

Is it too late to vote.. I vote custom.  With wizards and dragons. Something about daijibans doesn't look right when its not the 'proper' generation.  I think the custom 70's thing still would look right on this one.  My mom and dad drove me through many states camping in one of these generation dodge vans when I was like 7.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
10/5/18 5:38 p.m.

In reply to lrrs :

It has cruise, but it is a different setup, and I will be keeping it. 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
10/5/18 5:41 p.m.

In reply to 8valve :

I totally agree.  This one is going custom on the outside. I will still use the inside as a hauler, however, so no bar or waterbed.  

Maaaaybe a wizard. We'll see. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rvldsGPJgc8hM0XmRv2jCuVPFCSR6XN7X4aftUD4fNiEsqdL0InSGzWtD5YRIDI5