3 4 5 6 7
jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
7/15/21 10:06 p.m.

I don't know if you're interested but I have a set of bubble windows that were cut out of a pinto cruisin wagon.   There is metal there that you'd weld onto your van.  
I can't get them or even pics for a while but email me if so. Username at yahoo 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
7/16/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I appreciate it.   I sent a message.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/10/21 9:05 p.m.

Been putting this off for a while.    Was thinking about vinyl wraps, then maybe Rustoleum sprayed, then maybe rollered, but I wasn't sure how well the colors would go together.   On top of that, I found that the paint choices are severely lacking these days.

Plus, I REALLY like the how angry the DogeVan looks in all white.

Finally I broke down just bought a few  semi-random spray cans and figured I would see how that looked together.   I was going to find something white to do a test on, but then I realized that I had something white and portable already within reach.   Just had to remove a few screws...

But first I had to lay out the location of the stripes on the cowl.   To do that, I had to lay out the fender.   To do that, I had to lay out the door.  Just in case I don't mess ths up...

Okay, first color.   Not too bad.

Let's try the darker blue now...

I can live with that.  The third color is the one I am the most worried about, however.   We'll have to burn that bridge when we come to it, though.  The mosquitos are out now.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/12/21 5:28 p.m.

And then there were three. 

Colors, that is. 

I can live with this. 

Now that I have plucked all the low hanging graphics fruit, here comes the difficult part...

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/12/21 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

I'm really looking forward to how you choose to continue those stripes. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/12/21 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Oh, I've got plans.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/12/21 7:22 p.m.

looks like a pretty successful color combination from here; imho

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/13/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Yeah, I got pretty lucky just picking out spray cans by the colors on the caps.   The lightest color is by a different manufacturer than the other two, and doesn't lay down nearly as well, so that may present an issue going forward.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/13/21 12:49 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Yeah, I got pretty lucky just picking out spray cans by the colors on the caps.   The lightest color is by a different manufacturer than the other two, and doesn't lay down nearly as well, so that may present an issue going forward.

I'm curious about the middle one... it looks similar to another blue I'm familiar with.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/14/21 11:51 a.m.

Here are the first two colors.  Just Ace Hardware branded spray paint, but it goes on easy, without runs or other drama.

Wish I could say the same for the light blue. Which was Rustoleum branded. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/16/21 12:36 p.m.

So, I bought a projector just to lay out my graphics and everything.

And then I just winged it anyway.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
9/16/21 1:02 p.m.

This is all kinds of awesome.

Carry on.

Also, if you do end up using the pentagon shaped porthole window, frosting/etching in some star lines would probably fit the theme of the van.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
9/16/21 1:19 p.m.

I really like that ace rust stop paint, been using it for awhile. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/17/21 1:30 p.m.

In reply to RandolphCarter :

Thanks!

I have some ideas about that, but I'm still plugging away at the paint (for now).

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/17/21 1:31 p.m.
Shavarsh said:

I really like that ace rust stop paint, been using it for awhile. 

I'm really surprised at how well it works, especially compared to the big name brand.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/17/21 1:44 p.m.

So, unmasked the dark blue on the driver's side, but first, wanted to take care of a couple things. 

I was less than ecstatic about the factory white paint showing through the cowl vent, so I did a hasty mask and spray bomb of the affected area.  (Well, even hastier than my masking and spray bombing of the rest of the van)  Cowl grill will cover up all of the flaws. 

I also taped the windshield squirter tubes to the wiper shafts so that I wouldn't crush them under the cowl grille (again) when I reinstalled it. 

Pulled off the tape, and-. 

Not horrible, but I wish I went with a larger radius going from and back to horizontal.  I'll mull it over a bit today, as I am beat, and it's hotter than I would like for laying out and painting the next color. 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
9/17/21 2:51 p.m.

I was skeptical at first, but I like where this is going. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/17/21 2:58 p.m.

Yes! Larger radius!

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
9/17/21 7:51 p.m.

That is looking good!

If you bag the van you can have Dajiban and 70's Custom.

BTW, how many yards of shag carpeting are you putting on the inside of that van? wink

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/21/21 7:12 p.m.

Wasn't supposed to rain today.

The weatherman lied.

Still, made a little progress.  Tractor paint doesn't care about rain.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/21 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

I'm liking that curve around the rear corner. What are you doing on the back?

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/21/21 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I was originally just going to keep the stripes up at the gutter all the way around the back, but then I saw the '70s version ran them down around the rear windows.   And that curve was just too cool not to try to replicate.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
9/22/21 9:38 a.m.

I love this thing!

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
9/22/21 11:24 a.m.

More rain today. 

Scheming. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/22/21 3:54 p.m.

I think the radius is turning out fine... it matches up pretty well with the window radius... it's just from some angles you can see it along with the radius around the hood/fender/a-pillar/side joint-thing... which after looking at this a number of times... I don't think there's much of an elegant way to handle that.

Looking good!  I hear there'll be rain until Saturday, maybe?

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hqrgG4fQp9sFyqarqCeAtjDBnHyuMiBhzWLFiC28cJRabRGjG2tgL9eZxaJEFPG1