Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie New Reader
12/29/19 10:06 a.m.

We had a little photo shoot when we were at Michael's house. These are my three favorites. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/29/19 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Lil_Stampie :

You have a good eye.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
12/29/19 11:02 a.m.

Darth Nader really is getting better and better. We enjoyed seeing Nader and Michael yesterday. I'm making little Stampie out to a side view so that you can see the wheel openings Michael did such a great job on. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/29/19 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Bless you two (three w/ Lil Stampie) for making this an automotive reality.  I have been in the physical presence of Darth Nader.  If there was ever a car that would be so cool to roll up on an unsuspecting car show or, The Challenge, this is it.  The car has a "presence"!   

It is a great combination of new and old.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/29/19 1:09 p.m.

The Mandalorian has a character with Nick Nolte doing the voice, after everything he says, he ends with "I have spoken"

What movie did Sam say that in?

Sorry for the thread jack, im excited to see Nader in person, looks pretty cool

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/29/19 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Can't say for sure there was one. Where I can just mentally picture his character from Pulp Fiction seeing it.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/29/19 1:43 p.m.

compiling stuff for the real update

But my wife and daughter just got home for the first time since Christmas day. So you have to wait....

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
12/29/19 4:15 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It does have a presence about it. It's one thing to see it in pictures but once you're in person it just makes me gitty inside. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
12/29/19 4:39 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

But my wife and daughter just got home for the first time since Christmas day. So you have to wait....

"Well the headlights, they was another sight; we had two on the left and one on the right, but when we pulled out the switch then all three of 'em come on..."

-The man in black...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
12/29/19 9:26 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In my mind the body needs widening. Not flares per se, but the same shapes only wider.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
12/29/19 10:23 p.m.

I was asking Duster about flares when I saw him this past week to do a parts delivery (possibly for this car? Maybe for another? Stampie is involved, WHO KNOWS!)

I'd like to see flares on it, and I think once it starts flinging gravel everywhere, anybody driving it with the window open might want some, too. wink

Crackers
Crackers Dork
12/31/19 9:25 a.m.

I would love to see this widened just outside the window rubber. I've dreamed about doing it forever on a different car. I have even worked out in my head how to keep the doors from fouling post op.

Although, even I think that's an absurd amount of work for something that isn't a forever car, and the singular childhood obsession you've had in your minds eye for over 30 years. Or so I would guess.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/31/19 9:39 a.m.

This car is honestly not going to get widebodied by ME. stampie might. My idea is to leave the patina and radiused wheelwells, make a nice underhood and interior, and send it. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/31/19 9:40 a.m.
Lil_Stampie said

Alls I'm sayn is ya'll should make that missing headlight an air intake a'la Dodge Demon. Carry on.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
12/31/19 6:13 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

This car is honestly not going to get widebodied by ME. stampie might. My idea is to leave the patina and radiused wheelwells, make a nice underhood and interior, and send it. 

That's pretty much my plan. Well you're doing the work, my plan is to drive it like you build it. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
12/31/19 10:17 p.m.

Drop it off in Atlanta for a few weeks with a pile of filing cabinets and I'll make it wider. 

The whole body could be popped out wider without changing the side lines. Just add a couple inches at the base of the windows, between front fenders and hood, and rear fenders and trunklid. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/31/19 10:42 p.m.
barefootskater said:
Lil_Stampie said

Alls I'm sayn is ya'll should make that missing headlight an air intake a'la Dodge Demon. Carry on.

My plan was both high beams would be intakes and use motorcycle headlights to get both beams in the outer lamps

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
1/1/20 12:44 a.m.
Patrick said:
barefootskater said:
Lil_Stampie said

My plan was both high beams would be intakes and use motorcycle headlights to get both beams in the outer lamps

That's about twice as good as my idea. You know how to party. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/1/20 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Lots of round options for Jeeps if they fit, too

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/1/20 11:35 a.m.

Have yall looked at the possibility of buying 2 trailer fenders and splitting them down the middle, then sticking them on with the mig?

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/1/20 2:08 p.m.

Pretty sure Michael and I agree that Nader wheels sticking out is what got our pants tight at first sight. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/1/20 4:06 p.m.
Stampie said:

Pretty sure Michael and I agree that Nader wheels sticking out is what got our pants tight at first sight. 

Yup. Radiused wheelwells and tires hanging out in the air like a dirt track hack!

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/1/20 4:56 p.m.

The tires sticking out looks solid as it is. I feel like any attempted flare or wide body could very easily look worse than it does currently. It's also weight, time, and resources.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
1/1/20 6:39 p.m.

Love it! Will the front come done much when you put the engine in? Assuming it will be stiff as hell so you shouldn't have to worry about hitting the top of the fender.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/1/20 6:48 p.m.

Previous total: 1426.74

new money:

fuel filter: 20.28 from amazon

russel fuel filter adapter: 9.99

4x 17x8.5 vette wagon wheels: 100

sold full set of staggered c5 wagon wheels (leaving us 8 wheels!) -100

stock c5 exhaust: free

brake line tube nuts (on hand, value at .42 ea according to amazon) 2.55

power steering pump from impala and resivoir from alero: 26.95

rustoleum satin black: 5.98

new total: 1491.97

so, I had planned to just bolt in the headers and finish the brake lines and push it back out “in a couple days” in my last update.

Well, it took a minute. Oh well.

So, what have I been doing? Spending money. Not making great progress, but inching forward.

First up was the headers. And starter, as you couldn't get the headers past the starter, or the starter past the headers. That was fun. I also had to slot every single hole in the headers, and the x pipe is about 4 inches off of fitting. Which is accurate with every single ebay header install ive ever done.

But they're in, and the x pipe isn't. Starter is in and wired as well!i apparently took no pictures of any of this though.

But I did take one of the fully installed water pump!

20191213_152824 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

during this process, I decided that the firewall looked depressingly bad. So, stripped and painted with rustoleum satin black!

20191215_093939 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191215_101803 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

then it was time for brake lines. Now, the c5 uses metric spec and bubble flares everywhere. However, I have American tube nuts, and a mastercool flaring tool. 3/16 is close enough for the smaller lines, and I drilled the inner diameter of the tube nuts for the bigger tubing that would have run from the prop valve to the abs pump. I'm not pleased with the work, and if this wasn't an already budget tight build, would have loved to redo the entire system from scratch for pretty sake. But, we made it work.

20191215_090500 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr20191215_085946 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191217_180755 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

while I was at it, I went ahead and ran the fuel lines. Seemed like a good idea. Was given a roll of spot rusty, dirty, and plugged by mud dauber nest 3/8 steel line. Im calling it free, cause it was. Had the few inches of flex hose in a box on the shelf, and bought the filter and adapter. Ran it roughly like the factory would have, while securing everything that should be secured before bolting the plate back in. made the end to the adapter with a used 6an tube nut that was on another piece of steel in storage.

While I was back there, I looked at the trans. Turns out I have a missing switch on the shift input shaft, a missing wiring harness from the engine bay to trans, and no evap equipment in sight. No telling what else is missing. If you have any of those parts, speak up!!!

20191219_160109 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191219_160118 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191221_122530 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191221_122535 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

so, it was ready to roll out, right?

Aw, hell naw. Tires still hit everywhere, and it sits way too high. And I want to chase some more wiring to see what we have/don't have.

So, step one was plasma cutter!!!

20191224_110357 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

we cut out all the extra corvair metal, and radiused the wheelwells. As well as lowered the car as much as we can on stock bolts.

20191224_120421 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191224_122810 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191224_140723 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

dropped it on its wheels, and started chasing corvette wiring, and finding homes for stuff. Its going to be fun. Lots to do and figure out.

20191227_114919 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191227_133939 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

but it didn't lose any magic smoke!!!

20191227_130710 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

stampie and his son came by to pick up/drop off, and we pushed it outside finally. And it settled quite a bit, but still needs to come down another 2 inches to get to STOCK c5 frame rail height.

But it looks incredibly bad ass. Oh so awesome!!!

20191228_113315 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191228_113331 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191228_115111 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20191229_143220 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AHkH7EwlLJ6GGdAGcAWb8OpEZRcgtfdpKYZt7nZRSqmB6M6eoZ1U8Ug8E9PQiAiG