1 2 3 4 5
jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/18/18 11:24 p.m.

Love love love it!

can I throw an idea out for the gas tank door??

no? Ok, I won’t say that maybe you make a door that hinges on the top and blends in to the flare?   A lot of doors have hinges that snap past center and would hold it up. 

I also won’t comment that, for me, wide genders that don’t integrate the fuel filler door detract exponentially from the final product

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/19/18 6:41 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Just so I understand (because I've never known how this is done) you cut away the metal for the door jamb because you need to extend it out to meet the door that is also getting extended out? I very much want to do this some day and I've always wondered about the door part of making it happen. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
5/19/18 6:45 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yeah that's pretty much the idea. The door seal may not work anymore and will need to move, but the door still opens.

I was a few beers in and totally winging it though. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/19/18 9:13 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I was a few beers in and totally winging it, but my beard doesn't smell like the E36 M3-house door on a tuna boat so this is way better than that time I was a few Long Island Iced Teas in and totally winging it.

fixed

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/19/18 1:31 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I cut a window only to find this clip is filled with insulation. 

After some careful odd-angle cutting and some arts 'n crafts, we have CAD templates. 

The top plate goes the entire width of the Datsun beam thingy, forming an upper control arm "cup" for clearance. Planning on 1/8" beefy stuff. It will have to be welded from below, which means taking the front suspension apart again. I am also adding a diagonal 1x1 beam from the cup down to the lower firewall/framerail area for stiffness. 

I figure the more Datsun I replace with Infiniti and/or structural steel, the better.

Any thoughts about pushing the upper cardboard plate all the way up to line up with the top of the frame member, for "all the strengths"?  or will that run into the fender?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
5/19/18 2:04 p.m.

Some answers:

The top plate goes all the way across the Datsun beam to the strut tower. I was worried about cutting too much out and not having enough Datsun to hang fenders on.

I like the gas door recessed cutout :) 

And I have all the taillights, head lights, signals, front end stuff, ROOF RACK, etc in a big pile that came with the Datsun. So it should be street legal without much work. Can't find any make/model emblems though, except whats on the grill. 

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
5/19/18 2:04 p.m.

I have no idea how i missed this. 

Fortunately, my Spidey Sense alerted me to the box flares in the nick of time. heart

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
5/20/18 3:17 p.m.

Front flare! Or some of it, at least

Also got one of the stiffening braces partially welded in. I struggled for a while trying to make it fit, but I'm glad it's there.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
5/20/18 6:32 p.m.

I felt like the weekend wasn't quite done so I got the passenger side tower brace bent up and welded in like the driver's side above. The only major structural work left is connecting the rear of the front clip to the Datsun frame rails, which will require engine removal. These flairs have been and welcome break from the stress of structural fab. Too much thinking and figuring stuff out. This is the stuff that wears me down. Everything else is just fun little brackets and satisfying aesthetic mods. 

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
5/20/18 7:48 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Successful weekend all around. Sweet.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/20/18 8:40 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I stress on the structural fab right up to the point where I have to stress about the bodywork...then I wish I was doing fab work!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/20/18 9:07 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Also got one of the stiffening braces partially welded in. I struggled for a while trying to make it fit, but I'm glad it's there.

Those pictures definitely clear up what I was missing with the cardboard templates.  I apologize if I'm adding to your structural streses.  sad

otherwise, looking awesome, and congrats on the progress!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
5/22/18 7:16 a.m.

Last night I picked up some cheap 15x7 BBS wheels just to try out since the 17x7's look a little large. Turns out these have the wrong hub bore, but they also came with spacers so I would just need longer lugs. Even then, the front caliper just slightly glances the inner side of the wheel, which I think can be safely clearanced with a grinder. I will keep building with the 17s, but I really think these would look better on such a small car, and would provide 1.5" inches of worry-free body drop, and the cheapest size for race tires.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
5/22/18 8:46 a.m.

so sick. keep on plugging away.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
5/22/18 10:42 a.m.

Missed this until now, but this is awesome and I love it! keep up the good work.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
5/22/18 11:30 a.m.

Ooh, I hope you can make those wheels work. IMO that BBS style wheel looks good on anything.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
5/22/18 12:04 p.m.

Jeep wheels are available in BBS style as well.  They are usually 15 x7 or 15 x8, should fit (they fit my FC RX7) and are crazy cheap.

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
Esoteric Nixon - Jordan UltraDork
5/22/18 12:50 p.m.

Mother of god this is amazing.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/22/18 2:07 p.m.

I've actually been ogling those 6 spokes like some creepy lecher. Pretty sure they would look great on my wagon.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/22/18 3:29 p.m.

Build is looking great!

I have a pronunciation question...

Are we calling this the:

"Datsun-eety"

or the

"Dot- Sanity"??

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/22/18 4:20 p.m.

dot-SAN-ity 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/22/18 4:29 p.m.

I learned how to drive stick shift in an '81 Datsun 210 station wagon. I don't have particularly good memories of that car, but most of the things wrong with it could have been fixed with a suspension rebuild and VQ35DE swap.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
5/22/18 6:56 p.m.
Crackers said:

I've actually been ogling those 6 spokes like some creepy lecher. Pretty sure they would look great on my wagon.  

Yeah, put me in the crowd that likes the G35 six spokes better. Either way, this thing looks great.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/22/18 7:12 p.m.

Loving this build!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/22/18 7:47 p.m.

I want a set of that bbs style wheel in 18s for my truck. I think they'll look bitchin on the wagon.

Rfp1 would be the ultimate though.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jNZ1vyzhS5WqR1bMYS2cleuZDNwiRickmaABA9kYe7aOFmQg5vdzWo9LDf4TL2X4