4 5 6 7 8
maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/10/18 8:01 a.m.

I have finally unpacked and re-organized enough to where I think I can work on an actual car! The new garage is smaller, darker, and lower-powered than my old one. It's an old 2-car garage with an inconvenient wall between the two spaces. But it's a rental, so the most I can do is tap into the 220V wires for a welder outlet and hang some LED lights. 

By the way here's some moving progress. My trusty first car (truck? cruck?) towed Datsaniti 500 miles in the southern summer heat. The trip was probably harder on the driver than the Camino.

MaschinenBride was in the chase-minivan. After 7 miles of 45 MPH up the Monteagle pass on I-64, we stopped for "all downhill from here" tacos.

And here's my new work space. We now live in a big city, just a few miles from downtown, so space is tight. Due to this new urban environment, my cat is now an "indoor cat" and my Datsun is now an "outdoor car". I miss my old shop really bad right now. But this was the right move for us, I guess. 

Before the move, I had to scrap anything I absolutely did not need for these three cars. That meant I threw away a lot of potential re-coup parts. But it also means I have enough space to start working on cars again. It's been what...3 weeks?? I'm going crazy from withdrawal. 

So now I have to plan worknights around the rain, which is does a lot in Atlanta. I built these two work benches last weekend. One for general purpose, one for metal work with all the outlets on it. 220V source is on the El Camino side of the garage, so I bought a welding extension cord. I could also use some large portable work lights since the rental driveway is pretty dim at night. But overall I think I can get to the Challenge in two months. Honestly there's not much left if going for the bare minimum "runs drives stops". Off the top of my head:

• Fuel tank and fuel lines
  • Brake lines
  • Wiring
  • Battery mount
  • Finish the bodywork
  • Rattle can or wrap with something
  • Put the interior back in (or some of it)

Sorry for the intermission, but sometimes you need to make compromises in life. Losing my beloved car barn is hard, but hey at least I'm 8 hours closer to the Challenge.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/10/18 8:42 a.m.

goddamn man, in two pix you managed to get fireworks + waffle house + el camino doing truck stuff + box flares + hottie who appears to be down with the struggle + gasoline 60c/gal cheaper than what i pay + 68-72 C10.  you berkeleying win all internets today.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/10/18 8:57 a.m.

Good on you getting back up to speed as much as you can(220/lighting). Are these digs somewhat temporary in the bigger picture? 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/10/18 9:29 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

goddamn man, in two pix you managed to get fireworks + waffle house + el camino doing truck stuff + box flares + hottie who appears to be down with the struggle + gasoline 60c/gal cheaper than what i pay + 68-72 C10.  you berkeleying win all internets today.

I didn’t realize anything was in that picture except an El Camino.  I don’t know what your priorities are, but they are not mine

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/10/18 10:03 a.m.
Patrick said:
AngryCorvair said:

I didn’t realize anything was in that picture except an El Camino.  I don’t know what your priorities are, but they are not mine

if i had to list those observations in order of priority to me, most important first, it would go:

1. waffle house
  2. hottie
  3. el camino
  4. gasoline
  5. C10
  6. box flares
  7. fireworks

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/10/18 10:40 a.m.

I'll be honest, mainly because she doesn't read this forum, but I didn't know my wife was in that photo until after I uploaded it on to my computer. It's just such a good shot of my El Camino and I'm still not done staring at that car after 14 years.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/10/18 10:48 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I'll be on my death bed someday and still not done staring at that car

the elky love is strong here

Chappers
Chappers Reader
8/11/18 7:18 a.m.

Dude! You’re alive! 

You sounded awfully blasé about moving everything you own several states away in an extremely quick turnaround time! 

I’m blown away how you managed all of it, you should be too! 

What others don’t realize is the amount of stuff you had in your shop, not just for a mechanic but your wife’s pottery business, massive kilns etc - amazing.

Your new garage looks lovely too, don’t be down about the “downgrade” as you put it, most gearheads would lust after a space that size. 

I’m excited for you and your new adventure. Keep up your good work mate!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/11/18 12:19 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I am totally with you. 

I had every guy’s dream shop. Now, I’ve got 2 storage containers I can’t get into. 

The big picture is the purge will be good for me, but right now it hurts. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/11/18 1:19 p.m.

I gave up a 2 1/2 car garage too move into one that barely holds my car and tools so I feel your pain. Might be the first time in my adult life I've seen an el Camino being used too tow!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
8/11/18 2:00 p.m.

Atl, home of the massive Caffeine and Octane monthly car show.  I keep meaning to make it up there for that, but never do crying

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/11/18 2:29 p.m.

Thanks guys, I'm just having a hard time with the move and job change, emotionally and otherwise. I know Atlanta (my home) will be good in the long run, but that's pretty hard to see right now. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/11/18 4:50 p.m.

Moving and Changing Jobs are two of the biggest stressors people go through.  Take some time to settle in, your sanity needs it.

(THEN get back on this awesome ride!)

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/12/18 5:00 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

Take some time to settle in, your sanity needs it.

But my Datsaniti needs my time! Some of which I finally had free today. So I built a radiator bracket. The bumper will also mount to this piece.

From this angle you can see how angled the radiator is, allowing some generic 12" electric fans to fit between it and the pulleys. The sway bar and engine cross-member are the lowest points by about 1 inch.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/14/18 9:23 p.m.

Bumper brackets!

Those threaded clips are original to the bumper. They're really handy for attaching things.

Bonus: Rice Rod in the background!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/15/18 10:31 a.m.

Clip nuts are the best! Well...almost as good as rivnuts. I'm surprised they're factory in this case.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/19/18 8:49 p.m.

Bumper brackets finished, along with the upper radiator brackets. 

Due to the radiator tilt angle, the original hose is not long enough. Might need some aluminum tube to extend it.

Then I started my CAD model of the gas tank. Haven't decided on steel or aluminum yet, but it should hold 10.7 gallons and use the G35's pump and sender module.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/26/18 7:19 a.m.

Uh oh, limited-slip diff acquired! This one is out of a manual trans 350Z, which means a higher gear ratio (3.5 vs my 3.3). Someone on craigslist was parting it out in their driveway and I took it home for $125, which is half what I was expecting to pay.

The clutches are so tight I thought it was spooled at first, but I was able to get some relative motion between axles using a pry bar. 

20180825 114918 GIF

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
8/26/18 8:23 a.m.

Score!!!!

Eleven-zees!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/26/18 11:31 a.m.

You actually used the step drill on your cardboard brackets????........berkin' awesome!!!! 

Hey, how soon before vroom vroom noises ......the wagon not you? 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/26/18 11:36 a.m.

I'm still a custom gas tank away...but the wiring should be pretty straight forward since I have the entire G35 harness. So just wires and fuel. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/26/18 4:48 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I'm still a custom gas tank away...but the wiring should be pretty straight forward since I have the entire G35 harness. So just wires and fuel. 

what have ye material wise on hand for said endeavor.......whatever's cheapest eh?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/26/18 5:30 p.m.

Tank will be 20 gauge steel. Since moving, I no longer have a good source for aluminum sheet. But I brought a 4'x4' piece of 20g steel with me, so that's what I'll use. 

I finished mounting the brake master cylinder. I cut and ground the head off a 3/8-24 bolt and used a threaded clevis for the pedal push rod. I had to drill the Datsun pedal clevis hole a little larger to accommodate this generic clevis pin.

I extended the lower radiator hose using a short piece of aluminum tube from Amazon and a random piece of hose from the parts bin. I'll have to get a FMV on that later.

Radiator fans are also mounted. Just some cheap generic Amazon 12" fans.

I started playing with wires, and it looks a lot easier now that I laid it all out. I salvaged the entire Infiniti G35 engine and body harnesses. The idea is to plug in everything I have, like cluster, ECM, ignition switch, e-pedal, etc and hopefully everything else is just unnecessary stuff. I even still have an OBDII port, which will be useful once it's running. But I will have to re-locate the battery, because the engine bay is full!

All the relays and fuses should fit in this corner, just like on the G35.

That computer hanging off this fender is the ABS module. I may need help deciding whether to keep ABS or not. It will only cost me about 15 to 20 lbs. I have also read online that the speedometer will not work without it, because the cluster gets speed single from wheel speed sensors through the ABS module.

Easy to get distracted with this beauty in the driveway after a wash

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/26/18 5:35 p.m.

Ahhh the pause that refreshes......

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
8/26/18 6:21 p.m.

IMO if the ABS doesn't go into ice mode during auto-x/track driving I'd rather have 15lbs of weight vs flat spotted tires every time I run out of talent.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3hjPcyDGaWTzNVuNkThaxuJMEJ3riPbKgL2tC7XO5hTqNmMVwdVIKmpNs65Eaefy