3 4 5
75280z
75280z Reader
12/7/18 11:01 p.m.

Project Log (9 Oct 18):  Start Time: Not Recorded End Time: Not Recorded
Welded in the driver’s side rocker panel. Yes I know that it has been almost two months since I have actually done work. It takes time to make these videos and I worked about 2-3 months worth of hours it seemed in October and November so no time for the car.

To Do (Daily):

1. ☑ Continued welding in the rocker panel along the top

2. ☑ Finished spot welding the rocker panel along the bottom

1.  The surfaces were easy enough to clean with the wirewheel on the 4.5” angle grinder. I ended up having to drill a small pilot hole along the top to ensure that my plug weld actually attached to the three layers that were sandwhiched there. The front pillar have a weird angle that makes it more difficlt to weld. When I do the other side I will likely try to remove the entire rocker panel rather than cut out portions of it. I think in the long run saving myself time ended up really hurting the time required to do this project.

• The other thing I will do is move the brace farther up so I can get my spot welder in along the top as well

2. Using a set of vice grips I moved along the bottom of the car and clamped the pieces together, I would used my small hammer to ensure the pieces were very close before using the spot welder.

Photos:

Video 

75280z
75280z Reader
12/14/18 12:30 p.m.

Project Log (13 Oct 18):  

Welded in drivers rear wheel arch and did some other clean up work

To Do (Daily):

1. ☑ Cut of the old wheel arch

2. ☑ Weld in new wheel arch

3. ☑ Sand down welds

4. ☑Weld in the front rocker cover

5. ☑ Lay some primer down on all the parts

1.  To cut off the old wheel arch I first measured to where I wanted to add the new arch by using tape from a specifc point on both the new and rear arch. This I hoped would allow me to cut and weld in the new piece seamlessly, it didn’t work perfectly for sure

2. To weld in the new arch I first tac welded it to the inner surface and rocker panel, then I welded it to the arch itself. The metal was very thin and had surface rust that caused a TON of blow through when I was adding the new part so I ended up with a pretty crappy product that I am going to have to bodo to fix.

• Some things I think I will do differently next time

• Cut out the entire arch

• Cut out the entire rocker panel

3. When I sanded it down it was clear I wasn’t going to get a smooth finish so I just decided then that bondo is going to be how I do it. I am continuing to use the 4.5” angle grinder with the flap disc to do the bulk of the sanding. It has trouble getting into a few of the tight spots, but it sands so quickly

4. I made the front rocker cover a while back, but just finally welded it in place. This piece will be hidden away so I didn’t need it to be perfect, it is also where the captive nut will be for the fender I believe.

5. I just wanted to seal the parts a bit since I knew I wouldn’t be able to really work on the car at all over the next few months.

Future Work

• Fix the front fender

• Make and Weld in the piece to mount the seats

• Remove the braces clean and paint the new body parts

• Clean the wheels (I started this foolishly a while back)

• Replace the lower rear fender

Pictures:

Video

75280z
75280z Reader
1/4/19 12:18 p.m.

The Piece was made very simply by creating a template piece from paper. Once the overall size was determined I was able to cut it out of metal and using a hammer I formed it into the shape it needed to be. I made this out of two separate pieces as I thought it would likely hold on the best that way.

I have moved away from keeping copious amounts of notes as I am videoing the entire build and that does a good job of highlighting all the work I have been doing.

The gross nasty!

Piece bent over and tack'd in!

New piece after being bent up and formed with a hammer and 2x4s

Tack'd in by a blind guy (sorry if that is not humorous to you)

Next piece cut and bent into shape. Sorry I didn't get a photo after welding

75280z
75280z Reader
1/26/19 12:14 a.m.

Not exactly work on my car, but definitely car related, except that I will be using it to film my work in the garage.

I built an articulating arm that I can mount my camera onto in the garage I originally envisioned a camera track, but it didn't work very well. This one was my idea, it was not successful, so I reworked it into something usable. It is a long video, but it was very cheap to make, the final build cost much less than $50 and included ~$15 dollars worth of parts.

75280z
75280z Reader
2/11/19 9:39 p.m.

I finished up the under seat metal reinforcement piece. I am moving forward. I have done some more work past this one, but haven't edited the footage yet. This work was done in January.

75280z
75280z Reader
2/17/19 2:57 a.m.

This work was done on 8 Feb. 

The last rusted panel came out of this section of the car. It was the inner wheel well. Since I had already rebuilt the inner skin on the wheel side it was easy to make.

Once again I was grateful to have a spot welder it made the whole process much easier. I used the copper weld to ensure that the welds penetrated well. The piece was a very simple right angle bend that tac'd right into place. 

The welder is giving me a bit of issue it gets temperamental on the feed, it can get really frustrating because the wire isn't always consistent in its speed. 

You can also see I removed the door braces.

Keeping the movement forward, though slower than I was when I first started this project.

Pictures

After I grinded it down.

75280z
75280z Reader
3/1/19 7:13 p.m.

This work was done 11 Feb 2018

I started by cleaning out the car, then I recognized how terrible the welds looked so I ground them down and cleaned up the area.

There was only a couple pictures taken of this work.

Before

After

75280z
75280z Reader
3/5/19 12:23 a.m.

Alright next video made. A quick update again. I added seam sealer to the panels I put in the car. I also updated my PC, and the editing software isn't crashing every 10 minutes which has been really nice. Because of that I was able to do a bit more overlay graphics. Hope you like it.

Before:

After:

Then I painted real quick

75280z
75280z Reader
3/11/19 2:18 a.m.

I started the bondo process on the wheel arch today after cleaning the last bits of the welds up.

75280z
75280z Reader
3/17/19 10:05 p.m.

Update: I added photos to the past 4-5 posts, not a ton but it makes it better than just having to watch the videos. If you aren't watching the videos, I must say you are missing out that is where the detail is really happening

I sanded down the arch and got it looking good enough to be in a closed door ~99% of the time. I am waiting on some cleaning chemicals for painting. so I decided to move to the rear fender. The replacement fender that came with my car is not the complete fender so I will need to cut out some parts. There was lots of rust, so I wore a respirator the entire time.

Date: 10 March

1.  Removed the bumper that was not even fully attached, the side marker light (2x screws), rear light (8mm bolts), and the side molding (just pull). I also had to remove the trunk seal as well (scraped it out) 

2. Remove the spot welds in the trunk, the drop panel was pretty well rusted and I needed to remove the welds. I started by cleaning the trunk out, and then getting after it with a wire wheel (which is on its last leg). I tried to remove the spot welds with a spot weld drill it was not working, so I used the grinder to cut the welds as best i could and realized it would be better to just use a chisel to bust out the old spot welds as that panel is going to need some help anyway. Once those were done I kept moving around the trunk. Whatever the trunk is coated in I absolutely HATE.

3. Remove the spot welds along the top of the fender, I was very meticulous here as I wanted this whole area to come out very clean. There were at least 7 along the top, and two on the vertical surface as well. The rear panel I just decided to cut as I was not going to get those spot welds out at those weird angles.

4. I then used the angle grinder and removed the very back piece of the fender first, this was mainly to be able to slip the new fender on so I could get an accurate measurement for the front portion so I didn't accidently cut too much.

5. Removed the other portion of the fender,  inner wheel well, and the drop panel (these will have to be replaced as well.

3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
GAihKhVHiNRlHWMdcWa5VsKhvPTUFS5Yd7WL9OXIccdZc8LBHQUV9XFcrMroyWFj