3 4 5
75280z
75280z Reader
12/7/18 11:01 p.m.

Project Log (9 Oct 18):  Start Time: Not Recorded End Time: Not Recorded
Welded in the driver’s side rocker panel. Yes I know that it has been almost two months since I have actually done work. It takes time to make these videos and I worked about 2-3 months worth of hours it seemed in October and November so no time for the car.

To Do (Daily):

  1. ☑ Continued welding in the rocker panel along the top

  2. ☑ Finished spot welding the rocker panel along the bottom

1.  The surfaces were easy enough to clean with the wirewheel on the 4.5” angle grinder. I ended up having to drill a small pilot hole along the top to ensure that my plug weld actually attached to the three layers that were sandwhiched there. The front pillar have a weird angle that makes it more difficlt to weld. When I do the other side I will likely try to remove the entire rocker panel rather than cut out portions of it. I think in the long run saving myself time ended up really hurting the time required to do this project.

  • The other thing I will do is move the brace farther up so I can get my spot welder in along the top as well

2. Using a set of vice grips I moved along the bottom of the car and clamped the pieces together, I would used my small hammer to ensure the pieces were very close before using the spot welder.

Video 

.

 

75280z
75280z Reader
12/14/18 12:30 p.m.

Project Log (13 Oct 18):  


Welded in drivers rear wheel arch and did some other clean up work

To Do (Daily):

  1. ☑ Cut of the old wheel arch

  2. ☑ Weld in new wheel arch

  3. ☑ Sand down welds

  4. ☑Weld in the front rocker cover

  5. ☑ Lay some primer down on all the parts

1.  To cut off the old wheel arch I first measured to where I wanted to add the new arch by using tape from a specifc point on both the new and rear arch. This I hoped would allow me to cut and weld in the new piece seamlessly, it didn’t work perfectly for sure

2. To weld in the new arch I first tac welded it to the inner surface and rocker panel, then I welded it to the arch itself. The metal was very thin and had surface rust that caused a TON of blow through when I was adding the new part so I ended up with a pretty crappy product that I am going to have to bodo to fix.

  • Some things I think I will do differently next time

    • Cut out the entire arch

    • Cut out the entire rocker panel

3. When I sanded it down it was clear I wasn’t going to get a smooth finish so I just decided then that bondo is going to be how I do it. I am continuing to use the 4.5” angle grinder with the flap disc to do the bulk of the sanding. It has trouble getting into a few of the tight spots, but it sands so quickly

4. I made the front rocker cover a while back, but just finally welded it in place. This piece will be hidden away so I didn’t need it to be perfect, it is also where the captive nut will be for the fender I believe.

5. I just wanted to seal the parts a bit since I knew I wouldn’t be able to really work on the car at all over the next few months.

Future Work

  • Fix the front fender

  • Make and Weld in the piece to mount the seats

  • Remove the braces clean and paint the new body parts

  • Clean the wheels (I started this foolishly a while back)

  • Replace the lower rear fender

Video

.

75280z
75280z Reader
1/4/19 12:18 p.m.

No real words today. I am behind on the work for the 510. but I did get the next one up.

 

.

75280z
75280z Reader
1/26/19 12:14 a.m.

Not exactly work on my car, but definitely car related, except that I will be using it to film my work in the garage.

I built an articulating arm that I can mount my camera onto in the garage I originally envisioned a camera track, but it didn't work very well. This one was my idea, it was not successful, so I reworked it into something usable. It is a long video, but it was very cheap to make, the final build cost much less than $50 and included ~$15 dollars worth of parts.

 

 

.

 

75280z
75280z Reader
2/11/19 9:39 p.m.

I finished up the under seat metal reinforcement piece. I am moving forward. I have done some more work past this one, but haven't edited the footage yet. This work was done in January.

 

 .

75280z
75280z Reader
2/17/19 2:57 a.m.

This work was done on 8 Feb. 

 

The last rusted panel came out of this section of the car. It was the inner wheel well. Since I had already rebuilt the inner skin on the wheel side it was easy to make.

 

Once again I was grateful to have a spot welder it made the whole process much easier. I used the copper weld to ensure that the welds penetrated well. The piece was a very simple right angle bend that tac'd right into place. 

 

The welder is giving me a bit of issue it gets temperamental on the feed, it can get really frustrating because the wire isn't always consistent in its speed. 

 

Keeping the movement forward, though slower than I was when I first started this project.

 

.

3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
VicTTYXb8lK7OWkfD5hjCZ2ZQpQ6lbLKcqTWzqRSia6OSu3PP23bm05044wKmzmM