Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/18/20 10:15 a.m.

I have the stuff from No-Mar

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Tire_Lube_Paste_1_Pint_Jar_p/sp-lube-pint.htm

For the kaisers at least, I had fears of bending up the rim mounting with spoons. Royal fight getting the first bead on even.  I took one to a local tire shop and they managed to pretzel it. Compared to dealing with that, what I described above was easy-peasy. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/19/20 9:56 p.m.

Well, I assembled the wheels and rtv'd em. Hopefully I can get the tires on tomorrow without too much trouble.

Also I finished up the cooling system. I made a small bracket to hold the filler cap out of the horn bracket. Nice!

Next I turned to a couple unglamorous but necessary parts. A floor and a firewall. 

Floor was made out of some floor that came on the f440. The firewall was made out of the same piece of scrap metal that was a tree skirt and was removed and put in the trash.

2*2 square tube has a very similar circumference to 2.5 inch round. Cool.

Do some folding:

Becomes:

Then add rivnuts and wrestle into place.

Next I used a very similar process for the firewall. I did start with a cardboard box template.

350 hours. Need to take a 350 hour photo!!

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
9/19/20 10:34 p.m.

I'm looking forward to the attachment of the body to the frame, how much do have to add back to make it a Datsun?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/21/20 11:22 a.m.

I'm calling this the 350 hour photo. Because my garage is a disaster right now and it's really bugging me. When I push toward a project goal the garage gets worse and worse. I need to take a break and clean.

Spent 2 hours bleeding the front brakes. Was finally successful by unbolting the master and lifting it up so it was the highest point in the system. You can see the block of wood I drilled a hole into as a makeshift pedal for bleeding with a non installed master. Feels good to cross off "bleed brakes"!

352 hours.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/21/20 11:30 a.m.
jr02518 said:

I'm looking forward to the attachment of the body to the frame, how much do have to add back to make it a Datsun?

hahaha, yes it will be awesome to see the two come together. I want to have a running driving car underneath first though before I focus on that part. 

Your question in bold can open up a large can-o-worms. The rules have this to say on the matter:

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, or they may use a tubular frame provided they retain the production body.

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

So, I think at a minimum I need to add back the production exterior bodywork, with as little modification as possible. But sweet box flares would be encouraged. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/21/20 12:05 p.m.

So, random thought...

if there's a problem with the cooling circuits... what's the chance that boiling water is going to be sprayed all over the driver?

Has this already been discussed?  If so, apologies.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/21/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

It's been brought up, but safety questions are never bad (plus didn't the other bike engined challenge car do exactly this to Alan?).

The radiator and almost all coolant hoses are behind or underneath the motor. Both coolant ports on the radiator point rearwards, and the radiator is 18 or so inches behind the roll bar. The one coolant line in front of the motor is an aluminum tube (not rubber) and the firewall is protecting the driver from that. The rad cap is on the opposite side of the radiator cowl (rearward from radiator) than the driver.

So, I guess anything can happen, but I think hot water spills are pretty well insulated from the driver. 

nocones
nocones UltraDork
9/21/20 1:17 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
jr02518 said:

hahaha, yes it will be awesome to see the two come together. I want to have a running driving car underneath first though before I focus on that part. 

Your question in bold can open up a large can-o-worms. The rules have this to say on the matter:

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, or they may use a tubular frame provided they retain the production body.

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

So, I think at a minimum I need to add back the production exterior bodywork, with as little modification as possible. But sweet box flares would be encouraged. 

I'm fairly sure the LMP360 will be considered to run afowl of this rule.  I'm comfortable with the fact that I may show up with a Legit <$2000 race car and be told I'm running exhibition.  I believe it's within the spirit of the rules.  I understand that GRM has to draw the line somewhere.  But. .  

I also remember that the point of the Challenge is to sell magazines and a Mid Engined 20" tall Datsun roadster or a LMP look alike Subaru 360 gonna sell some magazines..

exST165 (Forum Supporter)
exST165 (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/21/20 9:48 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

You're my main concern for competition in the autox portion of the Challege :) I'm watching closely!

Off topic but this photo makes me reconsider selling my Fiero project.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/22/20 1:11 a.m.
nocones said:
jr02518 said:

I'm fairly sure the LMP360 will be considered to run afowl of this rule.  I'm comfortable with the fact that I may show up with a Legit <$2000 race car and be told I'm running exhibition.  I believe it's within the spirit of the rules.  I understand that GRM has to draw the line somewhere.  But. .  

I also remember that the point of the Challenge is to sell magazines and a Mid Engined 20" tall Datsun roadster or a LMP look alike Subaru 360 gonna sell some magazines..

I thought it was about broke car guys racing and having fun! Next you'll try to tell me Santa ain't real either!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/20 9:13 a.m.

to Robbie:

... substantially similar in general appearance ...

when you see loosecannon's Pink Panther, you know it's an MGB, yes?  to me, that is a good test for "substantially similar in general appearance".

disclaimer: i'm not GRM.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/22/20 11:07 a.m.

Good thoughts all. And I will never be mad about off topic posts that also include pics of awesome cars.

I mounted up one of the wheels (need to buy more valve stems, doh!) And it's holding air, woohoo!

Mmmmmmm. Meaty.

I also replaced the 6 nuts holding my fuel pump on with 6 nyloc nuts. I'd really rather they not rattle off...

Ecu has been rewritten with no change in stock tune, but it does now have the quickshifter enabled and launch control setup. Engine has been filled with Honda blue coolant. I know grm prefers water in challenge cooling systems, but we have already been seeing overnight lows in the low 40s and I'm not chancing anything stupid with freezing this engine. Plus I also like the corrosion inhibitors and lubrication properties of real coolant. Considering this water pump might spin up to 15k rpm, lubrication seems important.

I also started measuring the alignment.

Toe was already spot on at zero. Camber on the left looked great at about 1 degree neg. Camber on the right unfortunately was about 1 degree positive...

So that means I'll have to reset the toe too. Oh well. I want to replace all these rod ends anyway (they are actually 5/8, I bought 4 3/4 rod ends only to be wrong - dummy), so I'll reset alignment after that procedure.

354 hours.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 9:44 a.m.

Oops. 

RACEC4R
RACEC4R New Reader
9/23/20 10:10 a.m.

Damn.  I knew we were just bending/twisting it.

Sucks we gotta mess up that nice paint job with a torch/heat.

Looking really good though man!  Don't forget about torquing the front axle nuts to spec, we had the hubs loose for front brake work and caliper bracket fab.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/23/20 10:14 a.m.
RACEC4R said:

Damn.  I knew we were just bending/twisting it.

Sucks we gotta mess up that nice paint job with a torch/heat.

Looking really good though man!  Don't forget about torquing the front axle nuts to spec, we had the hubs loose for front brake work and caliper bracket fab.

Thanks!

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't confident at all in racing with it after we bent it. It's much better to break it now at home than in florida at the track. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/23/20 11:07 a.m.

So, I guess anything can happen, but I think hot water spills are pretty well insulated from the driver. 

Roger that.  The fill pipe in the pictures was hard for me to place in space, and with the radiator sitting behind the driver's head... and re: the other BEC, I thought it might be good to think it through.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/23/20 11:46 a.m.

Next you'll tell him that his frame isn't light enough.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/23/20 1:11 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Next you'll tell him that his frame isn't light enough.

I would... but I reckon the Datsun body is the more likely culprit.  And, it's not like anyone listens to me here about 'weight weenie' stuff, right?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/29/20 1:26 p.m.

I have lots of updates to post. But instead, I will post this really old video I found of who I think is the person who converted this to bike power in the first place!

From this link here:

https://vfrworld.com/threads/84-vf750f-powered-f440-car.31680/

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/29/20 1:27 p.m.

I think I'm going to reach out to the guy to say hi!

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/29/20 1:35 p.m.

Can confirm. Same car, and that is the party responsible for the Honda conversion.

I have that video in a folder with the rest of the history I was able to gather when I tried to purchase the car the first time.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/29/20 1:49 p.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

Did you ever talk to them? Or maybe you know them even? Looks like they might have been doing a lot of autox in the indy area about 10 years ago.

FooBag (Forum Supporter)
FooBag (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/29/20 1:52 p.m.

Robbie, I believe this is the guy, basis looking through the old GRR results.  https://www.facebook.com/godwinmt

Amusingly, he's friends with GRM's favorite shrug,  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/29/20 1:55 p.m.

I did talk with him when he had the car for sale. I was second in line, the first people snapped it up, and I bought it from them after they lost interest. I did let the previous owner know that I had taken possession, but never met him in person.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/29/20 1:57 p.m.

In reply to FooBag (Forum Supporter) :

Small world!  I know him as a fast RallyMoto guy but it doesn't surprise me at all that he used to be into sketchy bike engined formula cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9pgS64C0UtwwAQ6hfACl6CPfvEM3vH4p9Hmceal3hGj04ZG6f0Hk3vHZjdYuXLoO