Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/12/21 2:51 p.m.

I spent about 3 hours Sunday working on a project that's not yet complete, so I haven't taken any pics yet. Soon.

Monday I did 2 things. First I painted the bottom of the new frame parts.

Then I started working on a support for my diffuser. Made some cuts to this aluminum channel that came on the f440 floor.

Now it's ready for some rivets to make a nice joint.

Mock it up in the car.

Find some cast off Honda motorcycle bolts, drill and tap some holes, and voila!

Since then, I've also removed it again for a quick coat of paint, and then started checking off small items from my list. Reinstalling things, sanding back sharp edges, mockup up the nitrous. That sort of stuff. 

572 hours (but 3 not yet pictured so not yet counted).

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/13/21 10:08 a.m.

Here's what I've been working on. Up from 3 hours in to 5 (also when I was "rage building" last week, some of that was on this idea).

This has been a frustrating part of the build, but I think only because I've never done anything like this before and therefore I don't know the best way forward, don't have the right materials, my techniques are suboptimal, and I keep starting over.

HOWEVER! 

I think I got to a final product that I really like.

Cut up the trunk lid (and spend a million minutes fitting, grinding off a little, refitting, etc)

Then cut a piece off this sheet I bought from the scrap metal yard at $.50 per lb. It's coated with something but I don't think galvanized. It's about .027 thick, and I used a 32x14 inch piece for 3.41 lbs and $1.71 budget hit.

Folded and riveted at the front, then I used some silly bending methods to achieve a curve.

Awww yeah.

Then, cut some reliefs in the bottom.

Finally, I was listening to queen in the garage this morning, and after sinking what felt like way too many hours into this piece, it fell right into place as "we are the champions" came on. 

Woohoo!

And 

I'll probably redo the rivets since they loosened up a bit with my bending, then get the fit perfect and tack it in, then rivet the back edge, and final weld. The extra flap at the back edge will be left there as an adjustable gurney flap.

Really excited about how this came out.

577 hours.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/13/21 10:26 a.m.

OK so I am still confused about the canoe stuff, but this wing taking the place of the leading edge of the hood, all while looking a lot like the leading edge of the hood, is pure brilliance.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
10/13/21 10:39 a.m.

If I am understanding this correctly, your hood is now a wing??

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/13/21 10:40 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

It's a hwing!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/13/21 11:04 a.m.

So cool!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/13/21 11:16 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Brilliance is right. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
10/13/21 3:23 p.m.

so, maybe this is too late,  but I thought I'd offer the thought that you probably want the front seam pointing 'forward' or a little 'to the sky', instead 'down to the bumper'... that way it acts more like a Krueger Flap, and enhances the shape's/foil's camber similar to the 'Plain Flap' at the back...

this, is, all of course assuming I'm getting the orientations correct.

edit:   
as an FYI, this is similar to what Audi did on the R18 (R15?).

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
10/13/21 5:34 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

It's a hwing!

Hwiskey. That's the safe word for if you go too fast. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
10/13/21 5:44 p.m.

F'ing awesome.

If you send me dimensions I might be able to print some templates before the Challenge to help shape the wing a bit better?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/13/21 11:10 p.m.

And before you wanted people to know about it, was it a ...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/15/21 11:28 a.m.

I got in another hour redoing the hoodwing's rivets and preparing it for final install. Sleepy, I do have a plan for a gurney flap but I didn't do the flap to the front. I may be able to add something like that if needed.

Also I started finalizing sheet metal at the rear. Measured and cut these, then repositioned them (the final plan will become more clear as I go). Will weld into place soon.

579 hours.

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/15/21 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

mostly it'd be a "nice to have"... I understand if you don't get there... lots of other things to get to come together first.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/16/21 2:44 p.m.

Amongst many things I'm doing today, here is some "carboat fauxber"

nocones
nocones UberDork
10/16/21 2:58 p.m.

It's amazing how good that works..

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/16/21 3:35 p.m.

Wait, what? Care to link a how to?

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/16/21 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

iirc... it's white/silver paint first (i reckon the original canoe paint/color is close enough for 50/50)... then you use the sticky "no slide" rubber layment that's "open gridded" and the use black spray paint to make the 'checkered' carbon weave look

Dusterbd13-michael
10/16/21 4:10 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

neat! Ima have to try that pn a few parts soon....

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/16/21 11:07 p.m.

We did gloss black first and then silver through the mat, but I'd think it works both ways!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/18/21 9:40 a.m.

Still in full on thrash mode here (maybe subdued thrash compared to last year). 

Here's a quick update in terms of hours so I don't forget but I will fill in pics later.

Saturday I worked solo on the rear bodywork 3 hrs (ran out of welding wire - doh!!), then Ian arrived and we spent 5 hours painting fiberglass, finishing the hwing, clear coating the body, and installing the main floor.

Sunday I had a family Halloween party to go to, but Ian got in about an hour solo doing small stuff, and then we did 3 hours on polishing wheels and cutting additional floor pieces. We had two special helpers also, Trent and GRMs own Appleseed, who each put in about an hour of labor toward the floor pieces. 

Trying to take time to do the small stuff well. Sanding all sharp edges, details, etc. Getting excited!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/18/21 12:57 p.m.

Midday break photo. We have floors!

14.6 sqft of my .027 steel used for the rear section. The front section is aluminum and the piece came on the f440.

Dusterbd13-michael
10/19/21 8:34 a.m.

Sent you a message through the board. Please let me know if it doesn't come through 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/19/21 12:03 p.m.

Here's a photo dump. I worked solo again yesterday about 6 hours and then had help 5 more. 

Extra cutoffs from the trunk (this was done early Saturday).

Turned this

Into this:

Then Ian did a bunch of removing sharp edges.

My son helped polish wheels (polishing still not done yet).

Yesterday I finished riveting on all the floors, and then made this diffuser with canoe parts and free coroplast.

Then Ian and I assembled the car, added gas, fired it up for first time in a year, and drove around the block.

I really like how the satin clear came out on the body.

Today is finishing up little stuff, packing, doing the budget sheet, packing, etc.

Gonna be exciting!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
10/19/21 12:14 p.m.

She looks good!

What sort of changes did you notice after all the work you've done?

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/19/21 12:27 p.m.

Looks like it should be called the silver bullet!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ubjjPqFbNWwmedbBW7ezIrafhnTk8VHy3rulVsylipKDh7ISHTMi1ZzwzA066Gm8