1 2 3
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/11/21 2:27 p.m.

Thanks for the updates.. looks like you guys are having a ton of fun.

My older daughter (just about to turn 7) has really gotten into fishing and is ready to catch a big one. I'm trying but my fishing is so rusty! We'll get there. I just ordered a submersible fishing light after falling down a rabbit hole due to your mention of gigging lights. Hopefully she can at least see some fun fish with it.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/11/21 9:55 p.m.
dculberson said:

Thanks for the updates.. looks like you guys are having a ton of fun.

My older daughter (just about to turn 7) has really gotten into fishing and is ready to catch a big one. I'm trying but my fishing is so rusty! We'll get there. I just ordered a submersible fishing light after falling down a rabbit hole due to your mention of gigging lights. Hopefully she can at least see some fun fi

We really are having tons of fun.  I liked fishing when i was a kid but had zero interest in fishing as an adult until my son got interested in it.  He loves it and I enjoy the time we spend doing it...even if I'm steering with the trolling motor and he's fishing.  I'm really lucky we have several hobbies/activities we can do together.  I'm not very good/lucky with fishing, but I will insist on trying new spots that seem interesting and lately it's been working out (probably luck!).   The gearhead in me did surface this weekend when some fellas launched a bass boat with a really big motor this weekend.  It was comically big and loud...and kind of awesome because it was so unusual to see in the intercostal.

Funny you mention the submersible light...I bought one a few weeks ago but haven't remember to bring it with us yet.  I'm thinking if we're fishing docks w/green lights this may help attract fish to the boat.  Sometimes there isn't enough room under the dock lights for more than 1/2 lures.  It was cheap...and I'm sucker.

When we first bought the boat I wanted to get a light setup to gig (spear) flounder at night...but never really got around to it. They're actually closing flounder season for 45 days later this month...some people blame the near-commercial operations out gigging for flounder.   We usually eat most of the fish we catch in saltwater, but gigging flounder has been compared to hunting deer with a spotlight. 

SWMBO snapped a picture tonight when we went out for a sunset cruise.  Good stuff. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/21/21 2:40 p.m.

New boat!

1997 15' Sylvan Sea Monster.  These were apparently sold by Mercury/Brunswick dealers.  This name is even more interesting that the old boat (Sea Nymph).  What a time to be in the boat business.

It's powered by a Mercury Force 40.  Power tilt, electric start & a steering wheel.  No oil injection, so I still have to pre-mix 50:1.  I've been told Mercury acquired Force and by the time this one was made it was pretty much all mercury parts...but designed for a lower price point (no oil injection).  It'll cruise about as fast as the old boat with a 25 hp...roughly 20 to 25 mph.

It's a quite a bit wider than the old boat and feels like there's a lot more room.  It can't go quite as shallow as the old boat, but it's much more comfortable and also seems to handle wakes a little better (all the weight from the plywood probably helps).  SWMBO thinks it's less stable...but I'm not too sure.  

So far my father in law got the lights working (the ground on the red/green light wasn't attached to anything).  The pump for the livewell doesn't seem to be working...likely bad.  The bilge pump isn't connected to the switch, but does work when you alligator clip the wires to the battery.  

The boat is water tight and looks like it was stored inside.  The plywood floors sit on top of aluminum braces.  Unfortunately, there a few soft spots on the plywood, so I think we'll wind up replacing the plywood in stages.  

I haven't checked the lower unit oil yet (just ordered fresh oil today).  The impeller seems to be working well, but I'll take it by my repair shop and have it replaced soon.  

I jacked up the wheels and felt a little bit of play on the wheel bearings.  They were a little noisy, but have quieted down with some fresh grease.  The springs and axle are a bit rusty.  It's probably fine now, but I plan to replace the whole axle, springs, wheel bearings, etc before going on any long trips.  

I'll post more pictures w/details as I start prioritizing and tackling the maintenance and repairs.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/24/21 7:03 p.m.

I noticed some oil seepage from a bolt on the lower unit and i decided to just replace the oil.  I know some gear oils are gold...but this looks like a milkshake.  The drain screw was missing a washer...but i'm pretty sure there's water intrusion and I need some seals refreshed.  I'll check it in a week or so and will probably just take it to the mechanic.

I also noticed a fuel line under the carb was splitting at the end.  I cut off the split end and reconnected it...but it did feel a bit dry so I'll order a bunch of fuel hose and replace it all. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7aTQzzCPktglWw2obd61U9es7ySeRAsFjWQktaIOqf2G9Cp0PcvX48POHPUhPv98