exST165 (Forum Supporter)
exST165 (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/23/20 10:25 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

Just grabbin some groceries in my corona cruiser. 

I missed these posts until just recently.  This is almost exactly what i wanted to do with my Fiero for the Challenge when i bought it.  Only major difference is that i was going to chop the windshield and add a rollbar.  But i lost my nerve so lookimg for inspiration.  Have you taken it to any lapping or track events or is it only for auto-x?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
9/24/20 4:39 p.m.

In reply to exST165 (Forum Supporter) :

It's just for autocross, $2k challenge, and Street cruising.  I don't feel it's real safe for track speeds in its current configuration and I don't want to add the work/weight to make it better. The e36 and miata work very well for track day events. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
9/30/20 2:18 p.m.

Should have the YXZ engine back next week!  I'm excited because there are a couple badass (non SCCA) rallyx events coming up quickly. One at the Firm and another at a new motocross venue.  

A buddy and I did the Track Night in America at Sebring last week. Its been a year since I was on track at Sebring last!  (at our last champcar race).  He's from the PNW and moved to Florida about 3 years ago.  He was super excited to give the notorious Sebring surface a try and he loved it!  Thats him in the white 370Z behind me in the photo.  The e36 performed really well except for the alternator went bad (sustained high rpm or just old?) and the starter was heat soaking and didn't want to work. I had to push start the car for the later sessions.  The photographer at the event caught me in some low g-force action for the freebie photos, so they're not real exciting.  I've replaced the alternator and added a heat blanket on the starter.  The car really is a ton of fun and handles and accelerates really well. I need to try and put it to use more often. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/1/20 6:26 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

What heat blanket did you use on alternator, I'm starting to run into a similar issue. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/1/20 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

This is the blanket I ordered. I wrapped it around the starter (not alternator). It needed some trimming.  I believe it was $25 on eBay.   The alternator has not received any wrap.  It was only replaced.  

10/1/20 8:37 a.m.

That's what i got on GLH on it's Starter. It's a whore to get to. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/1/20 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Lol!  Yes, it was more of a pain than I was hoping on my car too. I unknowingly pulled a plug loose on the starter while installing the blanket.  The car didn't want to start and I was wondering wtf I had done wrong on the alternator until I found the starter plug.  

10/1/20 8:59 a.m.

Starter is directly behind turbo 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/1/20 9:42 a.m.

Yours looks like more of a pain!  Lol

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/16/20 5:11 p.m.

Finally. A little action around here!

YXZ has a new heart

and the Spyder is stickered up for the Challenge!

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/16/20 7:31 p.m.

Game on!!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/18/20 4:39 p.m.

Got the Yamaha back together today and did the 1 hour easy driving with conventional oil, as advised by the engine builder. It is Saucy!  Significantly more mid range power, which feels great. In stock form, all the power is up at the top of the range.  This feels real nice!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/23/20 11:45 a.m.

Looking like another 2nd place in the Challenge autox!  Grumble.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
10/23/20 12:42 p.m.

At least you didn't hit a cone on every run below a 50

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/23/20 1:43 p.m.
ojannen said:

At least you didn't hit a cone on every run below a 50

Not bad at all for a 1st time effort in a very stockish car!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/25/20 11:40 a.m.

The Challenge was rad as always!  I was really hoping to take the top spot in the autox this year, but the Georgia Tech dudes had massaged their bmw even further since last time. It's really very incredible that big brick of a car can be so nimble!!  I took 2nd in the autox and was still sitting 3rd in the dynamic scoring after pulling only a 16.3 in the drags.  

this motivated me to do the concours presentation instead of opting for the "gimme" 12 points, as I usually do.  Maybe, by some miracle, I could hold onto that 3rd spot?   But it was not to be.  Even with a 15 point concours score, I dropped down to 7th.  I guess I never really realized how much weight the concours carries. I've always just been a mid packer.  In order to finish at the top, you need to have a pretty wild build and prepared presentation.  

that's ok. I'm quite pleased by the 3rd place after dynamic events.  I approach the Challenge as a super unique autox event with lots of friends and rad machines in attendance.  Drag racing and concours just aren't really my things.

My wife was asked by Tod of the Cobra Kai team to throw on a wedding dress and be the "runaway bride" in his Smoky and the Bandit themed concours presentation.  That was a fun addition to Saturday's events.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
10/25/20 12:16 p.m.

You and your car made the autocross look so easy. All the other fast cars looked as though they were dramatically trying to hold onto the ragged edge of control. As they say in autocross, fast doesn't look fast, it looks smooth.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/25/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I appreciate the kind words!  Smooth is what it's all about. Especially with this car, it's pretty low powered and open diff, so maintaining the momentum is key.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/27/20 1:13 p.m.

Challenge Pics

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/27/20 2:14 p.m.

I think i took more pictures of your car at the challenge than mine. 

Maybe its because I just bought a 2zz swapped spyder.

Great job!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/27/20 3:43 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Haha!  Post em up if you've got some good ones!

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/27/20 3:56 p.m.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
10/27/20 7:37 p.m.

Just looked back in the thread and my drag time last year was a 15.5 compared to this years 16.3.  Significant difference. I was struggling a bit for traction this year, but dang.  I think the terrible aero was a bigger factor. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/27/20 7:55 p.m.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
10/28/20 1:58 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

Just looked back in the thread and my drag time last year was a 15.5 compared to this years 16.3.  Significant difference. I was struggling a bit for traction this year, but dang.  I think the terrible aero was a bigger factor. 

How did your trap speeds compare?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U37hgE8lirJvy8c8LLpgQmbTqUDwULZoxjUdkvaUhOmfzaIJG9lzIcPkjtVkBZEp