55 56 57
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/7/24 9:50 p.m.

Florida four wheeling looked like a good time. Always wondered what it would be like on some of those trails. The thought of gators would freak me out too much though ha!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
5/9/24 7:41 a.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Florida four wheeling looked like a good time. Always wondered what it would be like on some of those trails. The thought of gators would freak me out too much though ha!

It was really a lot of fun!  The lil Cherokee did great.  Didn't see any gators, lol!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
5/14/24 10:42 a.m.

Did a "Track night" at Sebring last week and the e36 gave me the first bit of trouble ever.  In the 3rd session, the car began backfiring on deceleration.  My buddy said it was putting out a decent fireball to go with the sound.  Afterward, all of the plugs and wires look to be fine.  I've tightened up all of the V-band clamps in the exhaust - some were a hair loose.  I've ordered new plugs and wires and am getting the oem injectors cleaned and rebuilt.  I've not found any obvious cause, but hoping these things take care of it, because I'm about to sign up for the West Virginia Hillfest and do my first ever hillclimb!

Last weekend a buddy hosted a backyard lawnmower race.  I got excited and bought a mower that had already been pulley swapped for higher speed.  Then after some more thought, I realized I didn't want to take the chance of getting tossed off the mower and whacked by another mower.  So I talked another buddy into being the driver.  It was pretty wild and entertaining.  There were a few spills, but no major injuries.  15 mowers showed up and we made it to round 2 of 3 before getting eliminated.

hobiercr
hobiercr UberDork
5/14/24 1:15 p.m.

That jump picture hurts MY back!

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
5/20/24 9:40 a.m.

I am sure you have heard about it but there is an official lawnmower racing series near Avon Park/Sebring.  It looks a lot like this without the jumps.  I briefly considered it a while back and decided I liked my kidneys unbruised.  The center of gravity seems so high due to the belt drive going under the driver.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
5/21/24 12:51 p.m.

In reply to ojannen :

I'd like to build one of the lowered ones for the local backyard races, but I don't think I need to get into "real" lawnmower racing.  I'm also struggling to find time to make progress on the 914 lately, which means I don't need to add to the list of projects soon.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
5/25/24 8:59 a.m.

Finally a bit of progress on the Porsche.  Its air cooled days are over :(

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
5/29/24 12:34 p.m.

I brought the e36 to my buddy after not being able to track down the cause of my backfire.  Took him about 1/2 hour to find a crack in the header.  He said it was causing the fuel trims to be off side-to-side.  I'm very pleased it's not a bent valve or other internal issue!  

welded

I've signed up for Hillfest at Snowshoe, WV August 9-11.   My first hillclimb event!  Pretty excited!  Participating in one has been on my bucket list for a bunch of years now.

hobiercr
hobiercr UberDork
5/29/24 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Great that was a relatively easy issue to fix! Can't wait to see your hillclimb report. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
6/1/24 8:52 a.m.

Added a lower radiator shroud to the bmw.  It needed some trimming to fit behind a non-M bumper.  Temps were creeping up a bit at Sebring, so I've added a 165 thermostat (was running a gutted thermostat previously) and added this shroud.  Changed the oil, torqued the lug nuts, she's ready for a hillclimb!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
6/3/24 9:04 p.m.

The way my brain works, I have a real hard time turning wrenches on a new project while any of the other cars are in need of repairs. So the Porsche has been taking a back seat while the bmw was getting sorted and the YXZ got some steering repairs and upgrades.  Bmw and yxz are now both up to speed and I can make Porsche progress again. 

very few 914s came with a rear sway bar, so when I saw a used setup listed on 914 world a few months back, I jumped on it.  With the drivetrain out, it's a perfect opportunity to weld in the mounts and reinforcements. 

I received the car with the rear view mirror laying on the floor. I ordered a Porsche adhesive pad to reattach it to the windshield.  While pressing it to the glass, the windshield cracked. 🤬🤬.  Eventually it fell off again.  So I eBay'd a bmw 2002 rear view and modified it slightly to mount to the windshield frame, as I'd seen done by a cool 914 safari build. 

also, my buddy, who has a vw rail buggy wants to buy the old engine.  Clutter out and cash in!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
6/11/24 1:50 p.m.

Lower shock mount bolts with lil nubs are needed to mount the sway bar.  Perfect time to bolt in the fresh rear konis, purchased with $2k Challenge Tire Rack bucks :)  I stuck with the springs that were on the car, hoping fresh shocks and a sway bar stiffen things up without creating a harsh ride.

hobiercr
hobiercr UberDork
6/11/24 4:06 p.m.

Making progress!

Is the Safari 914 above a goal? I like the look.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
6/11/24 5:35 p.m.
hobiercr said:

Making progress!

Is the Safari 914 above a goal? I like the look.

Mine won't be a safari style car. But his is a super clean build - Subaru powered.  He's where I stole the idea of using a bmw 2002 sourced rear view mirror.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
6/12/24 7:00 p.m.

Pulled out the useless HVAC system and found an old student parking pass. 

55 56 57

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cq68WJ6K4Fry1pvPA3AIoKDYABJqf7iO5dL78d3q53552CfL3QLd2WcjUIIXzCBt