Simonflyer11
Simonflyer11 None
4/20/20 11:11 a.m.

I've been thinking about a budget-ish track car with a turbo k swap (not sure which one specifically) and I'm thinking about aiming for 700 at the crank. Will I need a turbo so big that I'll have too much lag? (Or have to overshift to stay in boost) Or will it not be too hard to keep it in boost.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/20/20 11:14 a.m.

For that power level, you may be happier with a little more displacement. You're going to have to stress that K pretty hard to reach those numbers, and high stress does not mean high reliability.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/20/20 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Simonflyer11 :

keith is right about stressing the motor, and yes you're going to need a massive turbo to hit 700hp. 

you need to know what you're putting it in first. and how much tire you have to put that power down is also going to be a big deal. 

it sounds like the cart is way ahead of the horse here. 

Super K adventures on facebook would be a good place to go look at what a reliable tracked high hp K series build can do. 

Simonflyer11
Simonflyer11 New Reader
4/20/20 11:44 a.m.

It's more of a theoretical car at this point although I was thinking about an e46 or a cayman roller if I can find one for cheap enough. Either car would have wide sticky tires. Flares or widebody if necessary. In terms of displacement what motors are you thinking about Keith? I'm not sure if I want a big v8 but it may simplify things over a turbo 6

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/20/20 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Simonflyer11 :

Personally with your HP goals. the k series only makes sense if you have a Honda product where it makes sense like an s2000 going from a F series to a K series to get cheaper and more plentiful engines. Or any FWD Honda products where there is tons of support for K swaps. 

For the BMW or porsche I'd do an LS swap.. it seems like a LOT easier way to make the reliable power you are after. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/20/20 11:57 a.m.
Simonflyer11 said:

It's more of a theoretical car at this point although I was thinking about an e46 or a cayman roller if I can find one for cheap enough. Either car would have wide sticky tires. Flares or widebody if necessary. In terms of displacement what motors are you thinking about Keith? I'm not sure if I want a big v8 but it may simplify things over a turbo 6

Well, if you want 700 "big V8" is the best way to go. The higher the displacement, the easier it will be to meet your power and torque goals without stressing the engine. I'd also pay attention to the area under the curve - would you give up a few peak hp in order to get a wider, flatter powerband? Peak numbers are just peak. For example, I've driven two cars on track that were almost identical in terms of peak power and redline but one had a bunch more area under the curve and was considerably faster.

If you're thinking E46, that means you're already looking at a car that comes from the factory with a 3.2 straight six. Voila, a big displacement bump and no swap hassles. The Cayman is going to be a little more challenging in packaging, I suspect.

But there's a reason that LS swaps are so popular.

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing New Reader
4/20/20 5:32 p.m.

I hate to ring the fanboy bell........but 2JZ FTW!

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/20/20 6:01 p.m.

This is what I was thinking when I opened this thread.

79rex
79rex Reader
4/20/20 6:25 p.m.

budget and 700 hp out of a 4 cyl dont seem to go together

Simonflyer11
Simonflyer11 New Reader
4/20/20 10:38 p.m.
79rex said:

budget and 700 hp out of a 4 cyl dont seem to go together

I don't mean bare bones junkyard build, just not as many bells and whistles and lots of little stuff like brackets and cables done diy instead of from a kit.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
4/20/20 11:04 p.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:

This is what I was thinking when I opened this thread.

same

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DDzIIaqGtn8jqPPFKEzJBSTYPa5QIxPSMIJyy8amEnDzhleefGSyy6V9FWBYGF4c