Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/27/21 9:05 p.m.

Do you want the 88-93 or 94-98 grill?  I may know a guy that has a new 88-93 black gmc grill wrapped up in the garage

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/27/21 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Hmm....

Thats a good question! I have the later one here that needs paint and a billet insert. However, ive never seen a non-chrome early one.

I'll need to find some pictures....

Dusterbd13-michael
12/28/21 12:33 p.m.

If this tank is to be believed, 16mpg!

Im guessing it's a fluke somehow. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/28/21 5:49 p.m.

Not a fluke. 16.6 miles to the gallon this last tank. My guess is that the shorter tires get it into the sweet spot of the RPM range and also that tightening up the exhaust reduced the amount of air leakage prior to the oxygen sensor making it lean out a little bit. Regardless of whatever reason I am taking it as a berkeleying win.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
12/28/21 11:04 p.m.

Congrats my friend

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/30/21 6:05 p.m.
Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
12/30/21 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

Dusterbd13-michael
12/30/21 8:39 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

Love seeing progress on this build.

Oh and don't look at this:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/439956127671728?rid=10224334393560532&ad_id&rt=1&refID=0&refType=0

Ive been considering a billet steering wheel. But, just cant pull the trigger  ....

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
5/4/22 1:42 a.m.

Hi Michael, sorry for disturbing this thread while it is in slumber, but I have a couple of questions about the 4L60E trans. 

We are in the process of building a custom order vehicle and the customer supplied a LQ4 Vortec fitted with a 4L60E, and we have to install it, with a trans cooler. 

Now the thing is, here in South Africa, the most common auto box that is still used by many of the V8 guys are the old tech Th350, so when asking them, they say that, either a cooler is not necessary or they recommend something like this

I was wondering if either you, or anybody reading this, would be able to help with the pressure rating of the transmission on the out put to, and return from the cooler, and a recommended size for the cooler. 

Or if anybody can help with a workshop manual, I would appreciate it. 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/4/22 5:58 a.m.

If i get a chance today, ill pull out the factory shop manual and see if it has specs. 

However, i can do some practical information. 

The 4l60e cooler in the heavy duty application used the radiator cooler and a plate style extra cooler of roughly 8×12 inches plumbed in series. Fluid went to the external, then internal cooler then trans. 

As far as pressure, it's not really any different than the th350. A bulge on the end of the hardline, normal hose and hose clamp, and done. 

Hope this helps.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/4/22 6:00 a.m.

This truck just continues to be awesome. Does truck stuff well, and rarely needs attention. 

I love this truck. 

Due for an oil change and nut and bolt check. Otherwise, keeps on working!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
5/4/22 11:14 a.m.

Whose car is that?  WHAT car is that?

Dusterbd13-michael
5/4/22 11:20 a.m.
StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
5/4/22 11:58 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

This truck just continues to be awesome. Does truck stuff well, and rarely needs attention. 

I love this truck. 

Due for an oil change and nut and bolt check. Otherwise, keeps on working!

Yap. Noticed it was still going strong in that thread

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
5/4/22 11:58 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

If i get a chance today, ill pull out the factory shop manual and see if it has specs. 

However, i can do some practical information. 

The 4l60e cooler in the heavy duty application used the radiator cooler and a plate style extra cooler of roughly 8×12 inches plumbed in series. Fluid went to the external, then internal cooler then trans. 

As far as pressure, it's not really any different than the th350. A bulge on the end of the hardline, normal hose and hose clamp, and done. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Will appreciate the information 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/16/22 9:43 a.m.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

Crap. Forgot all about this. 

Still need the information?

Also, as an aside, i love this truck. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/10/22 3:17 p.m.

spent yesterday and today detailing it to pull the girlscout trailer in the parade. Thing cleans up amazingly well.

Needs a dash cap, as my dash is now a bunch of cracks and holes holding hands. Also needs another steering box, another power steering pump, and some other upgrads and maintenance soon. Before race season. Assuming i have a race car fixed. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/10/22 4:14 p.m.

Those Centerlines are holy grail stuff to me.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/10/22 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Same. The webbs are my favorite centerline ever. This set was found in Delaware, and there was an entire chain of grm guys involved in their purchase and getting to me. Prior to this set, i had a set of 16 inch webbs in multi four lug i was trying to get welded and redrilled for this truck.

I regularly come across billets that i flip for extra money if you want me to hunt you a set of centerlines. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/10/22 5:51 p.m.

Dude this truk is so right itz wrong .....looks fantastik ......went to the beginning of this journey....is this a three door? steering wheel billetness only if it matches yur hoopz ......thank fer the interlude fighting a jd4410 starter motor removal that is kickin' me arse....not

Dusterbd13-michael
12/10/22 5:56 p.m.

Unfortunately not a three door. Only downside to this truck. 

No plans for a billet steering wheel,  however i have a nice leather wheel to go in soon. 

First i have to figure out the intermittent brake lights and get it inspected. They are only working about 25% of the time....

Dusterbd13-michael
12/28/22 7:53 p.m.

So, passed inspection. Still no clue on intermittent brake lights. 

However, the power steering pump puked. So tonight i put in a reman and new hoses. It unfortunately didn't fix the box being noisy now, or the increased on center dead spot. 

Guess thats next. I have parts here, ive just been procrastinating on the new steering shaft. Hopefully that fixes a lot of the slop. The rag joint is junk, my two spare shafts are junk, but i have a universal and a welder....

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/28/22 8:26 p.m.

Hey before you get way carried away....I'm having the same crap with the Bravada today .....noises i'm thinkin at the belt tensioner.....low oil press due too wiggly wiring at the sensor more later ............out 

solfly
solfly Dork
12/30/22 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

i have the cunningham machine steering shaft for my K1500, stout.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/30/22 7:53 a.m.

That thought is my plan c.

Hopefully a few minutes of fab this weekend takes care of it for no cash outlay 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tn2wxkJgVlnRo4BNi84KJJbiTkKe8ek86K27YZm8XHBHyadMXPh9PvlOlhw5FEbt