Matt330LS
Matt330LS New Reader
7/31/20 8:23 a.m.

Long and short is in 2016 I bought a BMW E46 (330Ci) intending to do an LS swap and make it a dual purpose street/track car.  Where it sits now is a far cry from that as major Project Creep set in.  So now it's mostly just a track machine that's registered and insured so it can be driven on the street...whenever it moves under its own power again.

I'll get around to adding pics eventually, but I've included a link to the video of the engine's fist start.  It's open header in the video and shook the whole shop.  Even had a neighbor a couple houses down text and ask if it was me that just got the car running.

First start

Basics of the car are 2001 E46 330Ci.  Originally M54B30 and manual trans.  Swapped in an LQ4 based 408 cubic inch stroker.  Fully forged and balanced bottom end, 317 heads with upgraded valvetrain, custom cam, LS6 intake, Holley fuel system components and controlled with a Holley HP EFI system.  Texas Drivetrain Stage 2 T-56 with Stage 2 Diamond clutch and Pro 5.0 shifter.  Car has been gutted and caged, OMP seat, ATL fuel cell in the trunk, Cartek battery isolator.  Other odds and ends.  Video shows whatever 18" BMW wheels came on it when I bought it.  I've since swapped those out for a set of pristine condition used Team Dynamics Motorsport 17x9 with Hankook RS3s mounted.

Still more to go to get it driveable.  The cage and other metal work were hired out since I can't really weld, and the short block was assembled by a shop.  The rest has been four years of my spare time and sweat equity...and swearing...and more than a few "set the tool down gently and go get a beer and relax" moments.  With some luck and a little more motivation it "should" be driveable before spring thaw, and finally get to see some track time.

Been lurking here a long time, hopefully this beast meets the intent of "grassroots."

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
7/31/20 12:42 p.m.

This is absolutely the intent. Welcome to the forum!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VPLFatMSDcjlk2UBvafG46QBvyUs9f3Nh4S4H1XNnhMyKkzpMYJJmjwyfoUxz6vt