NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/26/18 9:57 p.m.

My searching leads me to believe that there is a jumper known as x32 that plugs into the Miatas harness in place of the DRL module that will get rid of the day time running lights.

Anyone hear of this module or know how to do the wire jumping so I can get rid of the DRL module? 

Pete

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/26/18 11:41 p.m.

What year of Miata are we talking about? There are a few different answers.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/27/18 6:04 a.m.

1991 Canadian car. Non air bag. Was out of a BRG special. 

Busy thinning the 1991 harness down for the Molvo and I have a feeling that getting rid of the DRLs is going to make life easier.

Is this something that every US Miata has in the harness? 

Pete

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/27/18 6:18 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I read your first post and thought, "Are DRLs something all Canadian Miatas had?"

Dammit
Dammit Reader
12/27/18 8:45 a.m.

I’d have thought that (if this is the Molvo) DRL’s would be 100% appropriate, given that they are mandated for all cars in Sweden.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/27/18 8:59 a.m.

All Canadian Miatas have DRLs. The Miata was one of the first to have DRLs because the 1990 model year started pretty early.  They also used the orange turn indicators which made them really easy to spot on the road in the early days.

The jumper only works with the 1994-97 cars. The earlier cars have surprising variation in wiring harness design between Canada and the US. On a 1.6, just ground out the wire for the emergency brake. That’ll disable the DRLs. But I don’t think it’ll really make your life any easier. It’s pretty well integrated iirc. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/27/18 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I have no moral objection to running the DRL since it would appear that all it really means is that the running lights will be on all the time unless the handbrake is applied. But like you say, the things are well integrated into a lot of systems and I worry that they will jump out and bite me in some way I don't expect.

Canadian cars are wired way different than USA cars. Things like a blower relay, Used in US cars but no relay for Canadian cars.

Going to be interesting when I go to light this thing up.

Pete

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/27/18 9:58 a.m.

No headlight relay in Canada either, and the non-airbagged cars have a really chunky combo switch that is much nicer to use than the later part. Better looking, too. One of these days I’ll retrofit one into my street car, but it means a different column and (iirc) wiper motor. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/27/18 11:05 a.m.

Yeah...took a while to convince myself that the lack of relays on the relay holder by the MC was correct. There was only 1.

Why do Canadian cars not have relays for headlights, does not make a lot of sense?

Pete

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/27/18 6:53 p.m.

The contacts in the non-airbag combo switches are a whole lot beefier than the ones used in the airbag cars. Chicken and egg - do they not need relays because they have the good switches, or do they need the good switches because they don't have relays? The change happened with the airbags, so I'm wondering if the change to the column drove a number of other design decisions. The Canadian wiring has no problem driving big strong bulbs.

petey
petey New Reader
12/27/18 11:21 p.m.

i find this topic amusing.you know why.

Bigben151
Bigben151 New Reader
2/26/23 7:43 a.m.

Bringing this back to life... lol.

been trying to find the schematics to convert a canadian 1990 miata to an american combo switch. Is it a possible job?
Long story short, I bought an electric power steering kit, but the column they use is for an american spec car... so my combo switch and ignition switch don't fit. Trying to see whats the easiest way to make it work.

Thanks!

Ben

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
2/26/23 10:10 a.m.

On a car as small as a Miata, I'd rather keep the DRL's to help it get noticed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/26/23 11:15 a.m.
Bigben151 said:

been trying to find the schematics to convert a canadian 1990 miata to an american combo switch. Is it a possible job?
Long story short, I bought an electric power steering kit, but the column they use is for an american spec car... so my combo switch and ignition switch don't fit. Trying to see whats the easiest way to make it work.

Thanks!

Ben

It is possible, I've done it, but I've never seen it documented. It's more complex than you might expect as there are some thing that change from switched power to switched ground. You'll need the column, the switch and the plastic housing. It will affect your horn button as well. I'll see if I can put together a how-to.

Want to trade some parts? I'm always looking for the Canadian stuff. 

Bigben151
Bigben151 New Reader
3/10/23 11:19 a.m.

Hi Keith, thanks for the info, it fits with what I had found on the subject! Decided to modify the kit and use my column and combo switch, it'll be much easier I believe. Also, the canadian NA parts are lighter the american stuff! I'll have to keep the canadian parts though, so I won't be able to trade with you... 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/10/23 11:33 a.m.

The only real weight difference is in the knee plate, and it's independent of what column is used. The column might be slightly lighter, but not enough to get excited about.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/10/23 1:07 p.m.
Bigben151 said:

Thanks!

Ben

Any chance you can do a thread on the power steering kit install?

The Molvo has gone from a depowered rack to a manual rack, but is just on the cusp of being parking lot friendly. I was about to buy a spare 90 Miata column until you mention that the kit does not fit.

What kit you bought, how it went together on a Canadian car and what your thoughts are on the finished product would be most welcome.

Bigben151
Bigben151 New Reader
3/13/23 9:51 a.m.

Yeah, few grams maybe...lol

Bigben151
Bigben151 New Reader
3/13/23 9:54 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

The issue seems to be only on 1990-1993 canadian miata. Bought the kit from epowersteering via Kmiata. Since they use US donor steering column, they key part and the combo switch are different... I'm not done installing it yet, but I'll try to take a few pics and make a review.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/13/23 10:56 a.m.

Not even 1990-93, it's only the non-airbag cars. So it's 1990-92.

Combo switch, clock spring, plastic column shroud, steering wheel spacing and combo switch wiring are different.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dqnnL7kz2BUvXAw7laLYIrLTita50saNp1oIJ7WqMbGWK4lTv4s4bMDV81Bqz1v9