3 4 5 6 7
TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/11/22 4:52 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/11/22 4:57 p.m.

It makes more power than the 88hp Pinto motor (off boost) the turbo came off of so there should be more exhaust to get things spinning....shooting for 200hp...the XR4Ti it came off of only made 175ish...running stock compression ratio (and water/methanol injection) so it won't be a slouch at low rpm....the price was right on this turbo....free ... if it is laggy a new one will be ordered....

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/17/22 4:58 p.m.

Flange to mount turbo fabricated and intake welded together....(this would go much quicker if I had access to a machine shop again...)

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
8/17/22 6:24 p.m.

That's really quite neat. 

I'm super intrigued by this build

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/18/22 8:40 p.m.

Trying to figure out how to get from header to turbo...space is at a premium. Oil drained into fuel pump mount area originally and would like to keep it there, and the solenoid on the stock starter hangs out pretty far...suggestions are welcome! I will have to fabricobble something together that looks and flows decent...

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/18/22 8:41 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/18/22 8:41 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/18/22 8:42 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/19/22 3:12 p.m.

A (T3 V-band adapter with integral wastegate) will allow me to reclock exhaust housing and it appears it will be in a direct line with header.... :) ...on to next emergency....

Ultimate Internal wastegate valve for T3 5Bolt, high flow 3" V-band Style,  REV 2 STAINLESS CAST BODY : atpturbo.com

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/19/22 3:13 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/22/22 4:46 p.m.

Cleared and baked intake today with high heat satin clear with ceramic in it... Looks shinier than satin, oh well.
Header collector looked restrictive...can't have that! :o Opened it up and welded new flange on.

Old bent copper penny (can't use a newer penny that isn't solid copper) and bent welding wire to back up thermocouple holes that I wanted to fill in with weld since I will be using a wideband O2 sensor and gauge.

Trying to get bolts loose to reclock turbo >:(

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/22/22 4:47 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/22/22 4:47 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/22/22 4:48 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/25/22 2:54 p.m.

My tech tip made it in this issue of GRM!

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/27/22 8:52 a.m.

Yesterday, 5 out of 5 bolts broke on exhaust/waste gate housing after soaking with penetrant for a week, using a torch, working back and forth etc.... >:( I have gotten two out so far...more fun today with them!
V-band adapter came in. Headers sanded, primed and painted with 2000 degree ceramic paint...will bake them Monday when the wife is not home ::)

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
8/27/22 8:59 a.m.

Keep it coming. Super unique build.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/27/22 2:11 p.m.

Thanks Wheelsmithy!   I wasn't sure anyone was following this....

8) TIG welder to the rescue!

Musical motivation by Rush today because Alex Lifeson has the same birthday as me.... today!

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/27/22 2:11 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/27/22 2:12 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
8/29/22 4:44 p.m.

Baked header.
Reclocked turbo exhaust housing 45 degrees.
Modified 90 degree adapter to a 45, which lines up nicely now and will require a simple 90 degree up pipe to turbo :)
Modified v-band adapter wastegate so it would open slightly farther and "unshrouded" it's valve for better flow and to hopefully prevent boost creep....I suspect it's chinesium and like most such things usually requires repair or modification.....

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s3CxcGaV51jiTNAdapr23AGJdeBNVIFrc5YUEg9eAFxkPBcHYfuOxPqTn0PAtnuG