5 6 7 8 9
TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/12/22 6:48 p.m.

Minimal progress this past week....working on a kitchen project....because "happy wife, happy life" ;)

Finished oil drain plate and ran oil supply line.

Modify message

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/12/22 6:48 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/20/22 9:04 p.m.

Still working on kitchen project but managed to make a turbo support brace that will bolt to a bell housing bolt. Started carb mounting using a Mikuni carb boot (bolt pattern worked with no mods) so the carb will be rubber mounted to help absorb vibration and possible fueling problems from it...modified boot for vent etc....

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/20/22 9:04 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/20/22 9:05 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/20/22 9:06 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/20/22 9:07 p.m.

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/22/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Cool stuff going on in here.

What's your source for turbo manifold pipe (and is it truly "pipe")?

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/22/22 9:19 p.m.

They were cast stainless, I got them because of the smaller radius they were available in (space is at a premium!).......I got them from Summit

"Ultimate Headers Tight Radius Elbows"    ultimate headers.com

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/22/22 10:31 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Sweet, thanks. That might help me out.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/22/22 10:46 p.m.

Love the thread.  

Another USAF vet here, nothing as exciting as SR-71 welding, but I turned a few wrenches.  You ever get the itch to tell a story or two from your time in, then we've got a thread for that.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
9/22/22 11:02 p.m.

A.  Thank you for your service, you are appreciated

B.  Truly amazing fabricating work.  I'm excited to see the final product

C.  I have a new favorite word thanks to this build:  "Fabricobble".  I have every intention to use that in the future.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/23/22 8:26 p.m.

-Bead on tube to engage groove in carb boot
-Wood lathe "machining"
-Carb mounted

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/23/22 8:26 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/23/22 8:27 p.m.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader

Nukem
Nukem New Reader
9/23/22 8:43 p.m.

There is something very satisfying about that little Mikuni sitting on the front of that compressor housing.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/23/22 10:27 p.m.

It's one of the original Stromberg CD-175s .... supposed to flow enough air for 250hp draw through...

Now I can take the turbo system apart to paint/detail!

clshore
clshore Reader
9/24/22 11:03 a.m.

Nice work.
On a draw through, be sure that your turbo seals are fuel compatible.
(apologies if that's covered earlier in the thread, I have not yet read through from the start)

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
9/24/22 3:21 p.m.

Great build thread, love the updates while keeping the original character.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/28/22 7:03 p.m.

The question of lag came up previously. I don't recall my '81 draw through carbed turbo 2.3 Mustang being unresponsive, not fast with only 137hp (if I remember correctly) but not unresponsive. . .

One of the advantages of a draw through system is that when you close the throttle the compressor is now spinning in a vacuum....it doesn't slow down and possibly speeds up (there is no air to compress).....so when you get it spooled up it stays that way between gear shifts. Other benefits to this ancient technology is a simple fuel system without the need for high pressure or boost regulation. An intercooler will not work but water/methanol injection can easily take it's place. Another advantage is people will not think it can be fast....(look to air cooled vw guys if you want to see fast draw through systems...).

I finally found an old compressor map for my T3 and I think it will be fine....time will tell!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/28/22 10:26 p.m.

A couple pages ago you said you wondered if anyone was reading along. Yes. Yes we are. 

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
10/3/22 9:52 p.m.

Turbo system mock up basically complete and taken back apart and head back on the bench to set valve clearances (didn't expect the turbo system upgrade detour to take 2 months....) think I am going to throw a rebuild kit in the turbo while I am at it....

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
10/7/22 11:10 a.m.

I will be adding water/methanol injection to TCST...has anyone used AFM's Mr. Freeze? Any comments?

I like the simplicity....or should I go with Snow? I will be injecting pre-turbo .... (the original build from 1975 sprayed right at the compressor wheel....and there are no signs of damage....)

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NfFEEFNZyuurksEqilw6QurgV7wlM4YPyShUSyBwGFaEtNOZxL81L348Dp3lKYj7