1 2 3
solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/11/17 4:27 a.m.

So, over the years I have had a number of trucks.

The last one had left the stable a few years back but we were living less than 10 minutes away from both dads who both had trucks I could borrow whenever.

We also had a 99 CRV that I used for dump runs etc.

April of last year we sold our house.

In June or thereabouts we replaced the CRV with a much nicer, newer one.

In early September we bought our new house and were no longer close enough to borrow dad trucks.

I had started my truck search in July/August and after looking at a few overpriced mid 2000s trucks that needed a ton of work I decided on a 88-98 body style. Working as a service manager has afforded me the opportunity to observe a number of trucks and I feel that generation of GM trucks is better.

I looked at a bunch on Craigslist and sent a few messages. One that I was really interested in had been brought here from Oregon. It was in need of some mechanical attention but the body and frame were solid.

I wasn't able to go look at the truck due to packing and doing last minute stuff with a couple weeks to go before closing.

I sent a message a week or so later and found the truck had been sold. I decided to wait until after the move to keep looking.

We closed on September 9th and I got a message that the deal had fallen through and the truck was still available.

I told the seller I was in the process of moving and I could see the truck next weekend.

He told me he needed to sell it that weekend because he was leaving back west.

solfly
solfly Dork
7/11/17 5:15 a.m.

I sweet talked my wife into letting me go look at the truck despite it being moving day and our fifth anniversary. It was as described, needing attention but structurally sound. Here's the picture from the ad. 

solfly
solfly Dork
7/11/17 7:28 a.m.

Here's a good overall pic, also from the ad.

One of my primary concerns was the rocker panels and cab corners, most of the trucks up here have none.

Some pictures of those he sent before I went to look at it.

solfly
solfly Dork
7/11/17 7:30 a.m.

Another picture he sent and the result of him accepting my offer of $1250.

solfly
solfly Dork
7/11/17 7:32 a.m.

Scooter approves. 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/11/17 7:39 a.m.

The list of repairs to this point has been extensive, but not unexpected.

All brakes.

Power Steering Pump.

Fuel Pump (twice).

Brake Master Cylinder.

Radiator.

Oil Cooler lines and Housing Gaskets.

Transfer Case Output Seal.

Catalytic Converter/Y-Pipe.

Muffler.

Battery.

Tune Up.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/11/17 7:48 a.m.

All of the above mentioned repairs took place in the fall/early winter of last year. I drove the truck throughout the winter.

There have been a number of mods done but I didn't take pictures for the most part. I will take pictures and post as I can and keep things up to date going forward.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/11/17 9:11 a.m.

$1250 !?!?!?!!! Major Scoreboard!!!! very well done!!!!

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/11/17 9:30 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: $1250 !?!?!?!!! Major Scoreboard!!!! very well done!!!!

Yeah, with the actual repairs I've got a bit under $3000 invested. More than that with the mods/extras but it beats a $6000 truck that needs as much or more work.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/17/17 10:13 p.m.

Making progress...cuz I aint' on my '91 ?

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/24/18 6:40 a.m.

Well I broke the crankshaft this past week.

350 or LS is the current debate.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
2/24/18 6:51 a.m.

New GM crate engine for 1799 from Jegs (delivered) all day. Built by GM with 100% new parts and a great warranty.

It's a work truck, why go down the rabbit hole with engine swap to LS.

Click here for the engine at Jegs

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/24/18 8:34 a.m.

That's definitely the way I'm leaning currently.  A bit better fuel mileage and power would be nice, only reason I'd lean toward the LS.

I do think if I go 350 I'll do a few upgrades though.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
2/24/18 8:46 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

I agree with your opinion of that series.  My 1997  Chevy went 371,000 of really hard work miles. Hauled home my house!  ( well most of the pieces of it).  Loaded exceeding 4000 pounds in the bed and many tons on a trailer.  Biggest Timbers were 12x12 by 24 feet long white oak or black walnut, a total of 55,000 bd ft  

Little 4X4 short box regular cab V8 that averaged 17 in the city 19 on the highway and only cost  $1000 in breakdown repairs  never once left me stranded! 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/24/18 10:10 a.m.

CAI and a cat back(gibsons..i'm partial) on the jegs bullet Cuzin' E mentioned .....Ol' Gray (91'373K) is sittin' in the driveway waitn' on a clutch wink 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/24/18 1:06 p.m.

I'm going to pull the engine first and see what I've got. A rebuild isn't out of the question. If that's an option it could free up funds for a cam etc and a couple bolt ons and tuning. All up in the air.

I want to do it right, I'd love for this to be my sons first vehicle if gas guzzlers aren't outlawed by then.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/24/18 1:55 p.m.

Oh, just for the sake of bringing this up to date here are a few things that happened.

The drivers seat is trashed. I stripped a parts truck interior that a friend had. Gray leather. It was out of a third door truck and mine isnt.  Spent some time trying to track down the additional panels I needed and didn't have much luck.

Then a tan parts truck came up so I bought the front seats and drivers door panel. Currently sitting in my garage.

Also, in September it went to the body shop and had the door bottoms and roof fixed and painted as well as the windshield replaced.

Around that time I purchased a matching hood in much better shape than mine and swapped it.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/28/18 3:18 p.m.

looking like the broken engine is coming out March 10

solfly
solfly HalfDork
3/1/18 10:05 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

New GM crate engine for 1799 from Jegs (delivered) all day. Built by GM with 100% new parts and a great warranty.

It's a work truck, why go down the rabbit hole with engine swap to LS.

Click here for the engine at Jegs

just to clear this up the link is for a jegs built engine, the gm one is new

dave

whats the difference between 809-12681432 and 059-0282

Chat started

Rusty Bell joined the chat

Rusty Bell

Hello, I will check for you.

The GM engine is a new casting and the JEGS engine is a re-engineered engine that has some updated components based on testing. It will be built with a seasoned block.

dave

ok, do you know what the updates are?

Rusty Bell

They are listed on this link - http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Performance-Products-1996-2000-Chevy-Truck-Vortec-350ci-57L-Crate-Engine/5240244/10002/-1

Different spec parts than the Chevy version. Very similar at a lower price.

dave

thanks

is there a warranty on 059-0282

Chat started

Ray Rinehart joined the chat

Ray Rinehart

Yes, there is. JEGS crate engines feature a 36 month/unlimited mileage warranty.

dave

thanks

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
3/3/18 6:52 p.m.

In reply to solfly : I bought one of those crate motors to stick in a Chevy powered Devin for Vintage racing.  Used it for 13 races one year and 15 the next.  Wanted more power and revs so pulled it and put it in the tow vehicle.  Hauled 2race cars all over the country in that with nothing more than oil changes.

A decade later sold it and a decade after that the owner told me it finally blew up. It was in a 2 ton medium duty truck that I used to rev until the valves floated before I shifted  both in the race car and two ton truck.  

My point is those crate motors are simple and reliable.   Don’t waste your time rebuilding one because it will cost you more in the long run.  

pheo
pheo New Reader
3/3/18 7:34 p.m.
solfly said:

I sweet talked my wife into letting me go look at the truck despite it being moving day and our fifth anniversary.

It was as described, needing attention but structurally sound.

Here's the picture from the ad.

I started laughing and my wife looked at me like "Are you ok?" So I read your first sentence out loud.

Your wife is a keeper you lucky bum!

By the way nice score, even with the repairs.

solfly
solfly Dork
3/28/18 6:12 p.m.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
3/28/18 8:07 p.m.

Oops!!!  She be broke.  Crate engine?  Nice work cleaning it up.  Nothing like a little snow to help things out.  Good luck.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
3/29/18 4:51 a.m.

Almost certainly doing the Jegs replacement.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
3/29/18 10:04 a.m.

I wonder what made the crank break.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p4mtaaYwkRdMT3UjmqDiSDoD90bWUCum7YKxMMBEyGgJRKhgFYtelgwHUq1UcZ0J