1 2 3
Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/26/17 5:52 p.m.

First fill up, 301 miles on 14.1 gallons for 21.3 MPG.  About the same as I got with the BMW in the same driving.  I did put in a bottle of Techron this time for good measure.  

The only issue that has come up is that the drivers window needs to be adjusted to catch better under the top, it sucks out at um, higher speeds.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/17 1:52 a.m.

If it had pop up headlights, I'd call it perfection. wink

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
10/30/17 12:10 p.m.

He said "um, higher speeds"  LOL.

Wonderful find, I hope your smiles never stop.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/30/17 12:28 p.m.
RedGT said:

I love it.  Don't often like red cars but the NSX wears it well.  Look forward to reading the thread.

And wow values have gone up.  I may have posted this before but I am still sore I missed the affordability window on these when early ones were hanging out around 30k, down to the high teens for a ratty but functional driver in some cases.  We bought a house instead.  Now they've skyrocketed.

Same story here. I looked at one that had been supercharged in Monte Carlo Blue Pearl for about $35k then decided to use the money as a down payment for a house. Maybe next time the economy implodes.

Wasn't there something, transmission or a transmission component, on these that was/are basically unobtanium? I thought we had a conversation about that when one came up cheap on ebay sans transmission. Enjoy the car they definitely sit atop the 90's classics.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/30/17 2:56 p.m.

There was a snap ring issue in the first year or two, by mid 92 I think the design had been updated.  Most parts seem to be available from either Honda or the aftermarket. Prices are much more than Civic or Accord parts, but certainly cheaper than Ferrari prices.  

As for that supercharged Monte Carlo blue car, it is likely that the same one that was previously supercharged but now put back to stock did not meet reserve on BaT recently at $64k.  They only made 40 or so of that color, and probably only a handful were ever supercharged, so likely the same car. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/31/17 7:54 a.m.

This morning I used the NSX to bring an engine block to the machine shop on my way to work.  No pictures but it just barely fit from a height perspective, Honda D series 1.6.  The machinist thought it was funny. 

JPSeuropa
JPSeuropa New Reader
10/31/17 8:36 p.m.

I have a '94 Brooklands Green with 65K miles on it.  I get a big smile every time I drive it after 15 years of ownership. Still no squeaks or rattles. Maintenance is easy except for the timing belt, which basically takes a weekend. It does not have the steering feel of my Europa or the quickness of my Seven. But if I have a long backroads trip in mind, this is my weapon of choice.

rbilder
rbilder New Reader
11/2/17 11:54 a.m.

I'll be following this... Nice write up and you picked up a nice car for a great price. Nice early NSX's have been going for what you paid or more. 

Frank at http://strutwise.tech/ in Canada does a fantastic job rebuilding and re-pressurizing the stock struts. They are better than when new when he gets finished with them.  I just had him do all four of mine last year. It was about $110 plus shipping. My two trunk struts were getting weak and wouldn't hold the trunk up if it was cold or cooler. My engine struts where still okay, but while I was doing it I had him do all four. They really pop up and stay open now. 

You already have new struts so you won't need them for a ling time. I have a 91 and just had the originals recharged. The only issue I read with the aftermarket struts were where the brake light wire bracket attaches to the strut, the aftermarket ones are larger in diameter and the clip doesn't fit like the original struts. 

You can always search nsxprime.com forums for 1st generation NSX/s for lots of information. I don't logon to their site very often anymore. I mostly follow NSX stuff on FB NSX Prime, NSX Owners (for owners) and NSX Club of America (for club members). 

You might want to become a member of NSXCA (nsxca.org). You get a quarterly magazine, plus this next year they are having their Annual NSXPO in San Francisco, CA Wednesday September 26 through Sunday the 30th.  The track portion of the event will now be two days at Thunderhill Raceway, the 26th & 27th, with the social part of the event Friday the 28th through lunch on Sunday the 30th... 
They select a different site each year, have various fun stuff planned and usually have a couple track days.   They usually begin taking reservations for the next year even in February or early March, so if you think you might want to attend you should join fairly soon. 

Somebody posted seeing NSXs for under or near $10k years ago. I've never seen them for that unless they were wrecked or somebody wanted you to wire them some funds electronically to some Western Union account (scammers). 

Funny to me, several comments about converting a 02 & newer NSX-T lights to pop-ups. . . I've heard and seen so many wanting to do or have the opposite, purchasing a 02 conversion kit to turn their pop-up light cars to the 02 bug eye lights. I'm guessing so they look more modern. Personally I'm a pop-up headlight fan, but would keep a car original or slightly modified. They hold their value better. 

If you want more power the CompTech superchargers seem to be used most often. They were installed by the dealerships and on the 1999 Zanardi Edition coupes they came supercharged from the factory. 
You don't have to worry about the snap ring issue somebody had mentioned earlier.  All first generation NSX's have the same snap ring. The issue affects some late 1991 and early 1992 NSX transmissions. Honda was using a three part tool to cut the case where the snap ring fits. They would calibrate the tool and make the cut and after ten cuts or so would recalibrate the tool. The issue came where the tool, since it was in three parts would go out of tolerance and cut a groove larger than it should have been. This left room for the snap ring to move and twist allowing them to break. Honda resolved the issue by changing to a once piece tool to cut the case where the snap ring fit.  The issue affects transmissions within a range of transmission VIN's.  And not all transmissions within the range are affected. Those cut right after the tool was calibrated or shortly there after would be fine.  It's been 25 to 26 years, so hopefully most of them left will be okay. It's similar to Russian Roulette, some are fine and some may break.  But I personally don't see it being a deal breaker. I believe I read somebody purchased a new case for $900 or so.  I suppose it could break and leave you stranded, but so can a blown coolant hose (I know a transmission is more costly fix).  

In my opinion you received a great deal. Barrett Jackson in Las Vegas October 19 - 21 just sold a 91 NSX for $71,500.  The 2005's have always been valued quite a bit more, plus you have the final year of the first generation NSX, 2005. 
There were only 248 NSX-T's made in 2005, 240 MT and 8 AT cars.
45 New Formula Red cars: 20 New Formula Red/Black interior, 22 New Formula Red/Tan, & 3 New Formula Red/Red interior.

I've had my 91 since March of 2008 and still love it. It's a very fun car to drive and where I live it breaks lots of necks.

I didn't mean to ramble for so long... thanks again for the write up. I plan to check in and see how it goes.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
12/3/17 8:19 p.m.

Filled up again, 21.75 mpg.  Car continues to be great. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/9/18 9:34 p.m.

Winter update.  Nothing to report.  The car is in the storage garage along with my 60 MGA and the Lemons Civic and Lemons Citroen SM.  It is snug in its car cover and battery disconnected inside.   I keep thinking about how much I am looking forward to driving it in the spring.  We are planning a multi day road trip with the car, along with a good friend and his wife in their Corvette C6.  

In other news, we did receive our new license plate for it: 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/9/18 9:58 p.m.
Sonic said:

This morning I used the NSX to bring an engine block to the machine shop on my way to work.  No pictures but it just barely fit from a height perspective, Honda D series 1.6.  The machinist thought it was funny. 

This kills me.......and here I am throwin' 40 lb sacks of bird seed in the trunk of the 'V' ....hey it's a car for cryin' out loud, use it!!!!

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/8/18 12:36 p.m.

It’s spring, fun cars are back out!

The NSX fires right up in late April after 5 months in storage with the battery disconnected.  We’ve been driving it fairly regularly, almost through another tank of gas.  It sure is nice to have it back.

I bought a used suspension setup on NSX prime, Bilsteins with Tein springs all assembled with top hats, $500 shipped and about 5k miles, they look just about brand new.   Installation wasn’t too bad, had to leverage the suspension down to get the stock parts out, follow the instructions on Prime.   The suspension design on these is really interesting, with these gorgeous aluminum control arms.   The jacking points are clear and easy to get to, and there is even a central jacking point at the center of mass to lift the whole side up and still be able to put stands under the front and rear jack points.  

As the car car was lowered now, I did a 4 wheel alignment with my Flyin Miata hub stands and laser kit, got castor to about 8, camber is about -1.5 front, -2 rear, toe is the factory 93+ setting, a bit out in front, a bit in at the rear.   All parameters are adjustable, which is nice.  It doesn’t have much ground clearance now, but it isn’t a problem if you are a little bit careful. 

Lastly, got  new set of stock size tires, as Azenis 615k+ are available in the pretty rare factory size combo and had a $100 rebate, ended up at $433 for all 4 after rebate, or about half the price of tires for my CLS63.   

So, it still is a wonderful experience and totally painless to daily drive an exotic.  

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
5/8/18 10:22 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Man, that car is sharp!

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/9/18 10:39 a.m.

In reply to rico750sxi_2 :

Thanks!  We really like it, it has exceeded expectations 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
5/9/18 10:58 a.m.

Your vanity plate: smiley

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/20/18 10:10 a.m.

I found a used exhaust on Prime that was near a friend of mine so he went and picked it up for me and brought it to the Lemons race last weekend.  It is a Pride lightweight exhaust, and really does weigh about half of what the stock exhaust does.  New is over $1000 plus shipping from CA, I paid $550, with my friend picking it up for free.

NSXs had 2 different exhaust styles, 91-94 and 95-05.  Because the production of the early cars is much more than the later, all of the aftermarket is the early style.  To fit an early style onto a late car, you need exhaust adapters, which are readily available from several sources.  I bought one from the same company that made the exhaust, $150. 

And installed on the exhaust: 

Installation was straightforward with 4 standard Honda exhaust bolts and 4 hangers.  The adapters didn’t line up quite right so I had to grind one of the bolds down a bit to fit through the hole, but it worked.  

There is plenty of room to work

The tips are about the same size as stock.  It sounds great, and isn’t obnoxious, but is notably louder. 

I then moved on to another project, an upgraded oil pressure sensor kit.  The gauge sender is prone to failure on these and gives weird readings, separate from the low pressure light.  Mine had been giving erratic readings so I bought the replacement kit from NSX part supplier Science of Speed.  It moves it to the firewall to isolate it from vibration, which is something I’ve done in all of my Civic race cars over the years.   The kit was good quality and thorough, with decent instructions. Here is the kit: https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx/enpp/engine-sensors-gauges-accessories/scienceofspeed-factory-oil-pressure-sensor-upgrade-kit-nsx-1991-05.html

This was a bitch of a job, took me about 3 hours.  It wasn’t complicated, it was just difficult.  Mid engine problems, really.  The sender is on th forward bank, transmission side, way down behind wiring harnesses and EGR stuff with the cooling tank in the way.  I had to pull the strut tower brace, some coolant lines to move the tank, and do almost all of this with only my left hand, and I can’t even wipe my ass with my left hand.  

It is in there somewhere...

In the end it all works well, but this was not an easy or fun job. 

I need to do an oil change soon as the oil in the car has been there for 2 years, though less than 3k miles.  I just need to get a filter.  

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/21/18 7:19 a.m.

Latest fill up, 21 mpg. 

The exhaust is a bit droney under 2500 rpm, which is a great excuse to keep the revs up. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/24/18 8:48 p.m.

Today while at the grocery store, a pleasant man comes walking quickly up toward the car and says "Hey, is that an NSX?"  I reply that is is.  His response is great:  "Damn, you even more ballin' than me!  It even has a peanut butter interior!"

As I left the store he waved out the sunroof of his white Escalade.  

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
6/7/18 7:55 p.m.

The NSX works great for Home Depot runs

I also havent put out the top on in 2 weeks. 

Today I went and bought a used enclosed trailer.  The ad popped up today and I had brought the NSX so I went in that.  I think it might have helped make my negotiation unsuccessful, but the asking price was still a bargain so I paid it.   It was a nice back road drive home

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/8/18 4:31 a.m.
Sonic said:

Today I went and bought a used enclosed trailer.  The ad popped up today and I had brought the NSX so I went in that.  I think it might have helped make my negotiation unsuccessful, but the asking price was still a bargain so I paid it.   It was a nice back road drive home

When I first started reading this I had a mental image of towing home the trailer with the NSX.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
6/8/18 9:15 a.m.

Love the updates. Beautiful car. Still can't get over your license plate. Party on.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
6/11/18 11:06 a.m.
Sonic said:

The NSX works great for Home Depot runs

I also havent put out the top on in 2 weeks. 

How did the NSX do as a tow vehicle? wink

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
6/12/18 7:11 a.m.

It was excellent! Hard to wire in the trailer brake controller, but it worked out cheeky

Fortunately the new trailer is also all aluminum, so it goes well with the car.  

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/16/19 8:05 p.m.

Long time, no update.  I'm bad at this game. 

Short version: the car is excellent and we love it.  We mostly drive it on nice days, put about 4000 miles on it last year.  It has been completely reliable.  It gets 21-23 MPG however we drive it.  It burns no oil.  It is super easy to drive daily.  It's wonderful.

More: 

I find it funny how small this is compared to regular traffic: Here it is parked at work

This past July, we were going to Pitt Race for an HPDE weekend: Mrs. Sonic and I driving our Civic and our friend Jeff in his super ratty NA Miata that he just finished doing a suspension refresh and roll bar installation on.  I had just finished building a new motor on the Civic (D16Y8, turbo), and was going to tow to the Dyno in Carlisle PA which is about 1/3 of the way from where we are to Pitt Race.  On the dyno, after some breakin, just as we were starting to tune, all of a sudden the car had the least spectacular engine failure ever, just some spoke and odd behavior.  We ran a leakdown test which showed problems with the piston rings on Cyl 3 (Eventually diagnosed as a cracked oil control ring that came loose and made a mess of the piston and cylinder wall).  So, we were on Friday afternoon of an HPDE weekend, and Chrissy and I now had no car to drive.  I was instructing and had a student, and they had both paid up for the weekend.  After some discussion, we agreed that the most prepared other car for a track day of what we had right now was the NSX!  So I drove home, dropped the Civic off, did a quick oil change in the NSX, and loaded it into the trailer.  On the way we bought an HPDE insurance policy from Hagerty from the iPad.  I drove the NSX, Chrissy and Jeff drove the Miata.  Good times were had by all. 

On track, the NSX is brilliant.  The slow-ish ratio steering that is a bit annoying on the street at times is perfect on track and allows perfect placement and becomes telepathic.  Shifter is amazing . It sounds brilliant.  It understeers at the limit but I'm sure I could tune that out with a more aggressive alignment and it was a nice safety measure.  You can feel the weight behind you but it is controlled well.  I was running stock brake pads so I had to take it a bit easy as there was a bit of fade after a few hard laps, but it would happily run 80% all day.  

Some time around here when Chrissy was on her way to work she took a rock to the windshield which cracked it.  Fortunately we have a $100 deductible, as the only glass available is OEM, it took 2 weeks to get, and cost about $2600 to have replaced. Eeek.  

In August, Chrissy and I finally got married after 10 years.  The wedding was where I grew up on Cape Cod and of course, we brought the NSX!  We arrived at the ceremony by boat but had the NSX there to leave when the party was over, picked the boat up the next day.  The 400 mile drive each way is a complete non event, the car cruises well and works great as a GT except that it has almost zero interior storage space.  

It went away for storage in December, fired right up in April, and here we are.  Just every day life with an exotic that is completely painless.  

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
5/16/19 10:32 p.m.

Congratulations on the wedding!! And man that car is gorgeous. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1vLiH3NDVoKjawj4kdU3fVdkXCNt4Qj8ZEVOA8eof7gyIIfcp7AzfsFBhduO3qYN