1 2 3
johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/17/22 8:35 p.m.

Motivation has been down for this project, so I thought maybe a build thread might be a good idea to keep the project going. Winter likely has to do with this, an uninsulated unheated garage has kept me indoors for the past few months.

The car is a 1991 318i that features a early model front end grafted in, possibly the only early-late model combo around. It was purchased as a spare daily around 2.5 years ago. It was driven somewhat often for roughly a year before the M44 started to drink some coolant. I understand these have an issue with cracked heads from time to time, likely the case. 

After some thought, it was decided the motor would be removed and something more interesting installed. First go around was a VK56 offered up by a friend. Unfortunately COVID made for a lack of shop action with the two of us and I decided if it was ever going to move on its own power (atleast within a couple years), I would need to just build this one on my own. 

The F2T is one of my favorite engines. I've had both an MX-6 GT and 626 GT and really enjoyed both. Solid, reliable, reasonable power with a ton of potential. 

I tend to be tough on phones, breaking roughly 1-2 per year so much of the content has been lost.

Early on...an oil pan was fabricated along with a pickup tube.

My trusty shop cat keeping an eye on things.

I opted for a cheap 6 puck clutch meant for the B2200. ACT was my only decent option, and I wasn't ready to drop that cash on a car that might not get finished up. Hopefully this $80 clutch kit holds up ok...

The tramsission is from a B2200, and it feels fantastic compared to the G260. Similar to Miata feel.

At the current moment this is complete:

• Oil Pan
  • Motor Mounts
  • Transmission Mount
  • Flipped Intake Manifold
  • Fuel Lines
  • ABS Delete
  • Steering Shaft Upgrade
  • Camshaft Modified/Cut

Still a lot to do, but the tough parts are done. Current state below.

It's tucked pretty good, perhaps a little too far back but I will make it work I think. 

Planning to stick to the stock VJ11 turbo, keep things reliable and fun for awhile before the itch for more power begins.

Next on the list is a clutch line, bleeding the hydraulics, and beginning the downpipe fabrication.

Hoping to get everything wrapped up minus wiring by mid-summer. Hopefully thats not too optimistic.

Thanks

-John

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
2/17/22 10:49 p.m.

E30 and f2t.  Radwood.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/17/22 11:37 p.m.

That's hot.  I don't remember what that specific trans is supposed to be good to as far as power/torque input is concerned.  F2T's are capable of quite a bit of power; the stock turbo should help keep breakage to a minimum.

infernosg
infernosg Reader
2/18/22 8:44 a.m.

The B2200 transmission feels like a Miata transmission because essentially IT IS a Miata transmission. Or at least an earlier version of it. I've seen them referred to as "Type M" and they were developed for the first generation RX7s but found their way into the early RWD 626s, 2000/2200 series trucks, N/A second generation RX7s and Miatas. Quite a bit of swapping around can be done provided you match the input shaft, bell housing, shift control assembly and tail housing to your application. For example, the guts of my RX7's transmission are essentially all 99+ Miata. I just swapped the bell and tail housings and shortened the Miata input shaft. I found the Miata gear ratios more favorable and took advantage of the constant revisions Mazda made over the years. For example, they went to a double-synchronized second gear and helical reverse gear sometime in the mid-90s.

EDIT: Regarding durability these transmissions have a poor reputation but I don't think it's warranted. Other than generally wearing the shifter forks and synchros Miata and RX7 racers have been using them for years. It's the drag racers and drift bros who break them with constant shock loads from clutch drops.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/18/22 8:45 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

That's hot.  I don't remember what that specific trans is supposed to be good to as far as power/torque input is concerned.  F2T's are capable of quite a bit of power; the stock turbo should help keep breakage to a minimum.

Thanks! It should hold up to stock turbo power, which may be around 200/250 on 13ish psi I would think. A RX7 or Miata transmission should fit in the same space. I'll make that move when  needed.

-John

iansane
iansane Dork
2/18/22 10:44 a.m.

Holy carp that intake is way over the strut tower! Does that have enough clearance to bolt the hood down?

Cool swap.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/18/22 11:00 a.m.
iansane said:

Holy carp that intake is way over the strut tower! Does that have enough clearance to bolt the hood down?

Cool swap.

Negative. Some material has been removed from the hood to allow closing. The hood was pretty damaged to begin with, so I wasn't too upset about it. Hoping to come up with a unique/funny way to cover the hole or make it a scoop of sorts.

-John

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
2/19/22 9:03 a.m.

This build is a fantastic idea! Carry on.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
2/19/22 9:09 a.m.

yesyesyes

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
2/19/22 9:34 a.m.

Ooh, a boosty E30 seems like it would be a riot laugh Cool.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
2/19/22 11:44 a.m.

You just won GRM for combining an F2T with an E30.

I drove a B2200 for years and my dad still owns it. B2200 transmissions feel amazing, it's the best trans in a truck that I'm aware of!

I have dreams of dropping an F2T in a B2200. But this is probably cooler. Enjoy!

Turbine
Turbine Reader
2/19/22 11:52 a.m.

I had pipe dreams of swapping an f2t or Audi 5 cylinder into an e30 or e36. Awesome to see someone actually doing it! 

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/19/22 12:05 p.m.

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys. Might be working on the exhaust a bit today. 

Audi i5 would be my second choice. AAN engines are tough to find these days, I suppose an 07k would be a good alternative to that. Would certainly sound a bit better than the f2.

I had hoped that this would be the first f2t e30 but I've heard there was one running around the DC area. And of course someone built an fe3 e30 drag car, which is pretty darn cool.

-John

pres589 (djronnebaum)
2/20/22 11:22 a.m.

What's your plans for ignition and engine management?  There should be a distributor jammed through the firewall in your install...

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/20/22 4:07 p.m.

Got the garage into the 40s today so the upper portion of the downpipe is done. Welds aren't my best but certainly strong enough. 

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/20/22 5:05 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

What's your plans for ignition and engine management?  There should be a distributor jammed through the firewall in your install...

Correct, there should be. Planning for edis4 and megasquirt. I considered just cutting a hole for the disty, but that's a bit more hackery than I like to do. Plus, the heater core takes that space, and I'd like to keep heat.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
2/20/22 6:33 p.m.

Sounds like a good way to get rid of the factory MAF as well.  Good deal.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/25/22 7:49 p.m.

Picked up a used BOV pretty cheap. The ol turboxs rfl! I'll have to sort out welding the flange to the cold-side once I get to that.

Should be loud and fun.

de80q
de80q Reader
2/26/22 1:36 a.m.

This is just awesome!  Keep up the good work here!

I have one of those BOV's on my 10vt swapped Audi 80q.  It is absolutely obnoxious!  I can't go anywhere without all the little ricers around me trying to race once they her it!  It looks like yours has a pipe connection on it thought.  Probably supposed to be routed back to the intake.  Mine has the big horn on it, so it also get the whistle at the end.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/26/22 6:27 a.m.

In reply to de80q :

Whoopee cushion.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/26/22 10:32 a.m.
de80q said:

This is just awesome!  Keep up the good work here!

I have one of those BOV's on my 10vt swapped Audi 80q.  It is absolutely obnoxious!  I can't go anywhere without all the little ricers around me trying to race once they her it!  It looks like yours has a pipe connection on it thought.  Probably supposed to be routed back to the intake.  Mine has the big horn on it, so it also get the whistle at the end.

Cool! About 10 years ago I had a 10vt swapped 80q myself. What a driving experience that was.

de80q
de80q Reader
2/26/22 10:02 p.m.

In reply to johnp2 :

Its a whole lot of fun with 22psi and EFI.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/26/22 10:33 p.m.

In reply to de80q :

You're making me wish I were finishing the K24-7400 fed 2.3l 7:1 NG headed MC2 in my Quantum rather than putting an EJ205 in an R53 Mini...

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
2/27/22 7:00 p.m.

The F2T holds a special place in my heart. A truly amazing engine. And an absolute tractor when it comes to the torques. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
2/28/22 4:55 p.m.

This combination sounds rather Mad Libs ish. I approve.

I wouldn't bother with EDIS - this served its purpose when the MegaSquirt code team was still working on distributorless igntion support, but the current support for distributorless ignitions is so much better that there's no need to hunt for 30 year old Ford ignition modules now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l4v2FVHlPiFZxqOPan3MWPCXk6ckIxs297wUPImAOaTWCMdWsjabLTtB9kvp7jgW