1 2 3 4
johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/7/22 9:39 p.m.

Coil and coolant expansion tank mounted up on some diy brackets.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/17/22 7:04 p.m.

Gauges are in and throttle cable is finally sorted out.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/17/22 9:27 p.m.

You're making good progress!

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/18/22 10:49 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

You're making good progress!

Thanks. I would really like to have this driveable before the end of summer. Assuming no major setbacks, I think its possible.

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/30/22 4:47 p.m.

Crank sensor bracket and alternator mount finished up.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/30/22 6:17 p.m.

How do you get the belt out?

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/30/22 6:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

How do you get the belt out?

The bracket has a split in the base. 

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/31/22 10:39 a.m.

Here's a question for the hive. 

Had a bit of spare time yesterday so i figured I'd hook up the starter power and crank it to make sure I was getting oil pressure. 

Charged the battery and hooked up cables to my Focus for a little extra juice. A reasonable amount of cranking later, and I'm showing nothing on the gauge. Pulled the oil filter and she is bone dry. 

Cranking with plugs out and no electronics connected other than body fuse box. 

Any thoughts? I was going to pre-fill the oil filter tube and give it another go this evening.

Thanks

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/2/22 8:32 a.m.

Dacia Top Gear GIF - Dacia Top Gear James - Discover & Share GIFs

We have oil pressure! primed up the filter port, turned it over with some extra oomph and it filled up the filter.

On to wiring!

Thanks

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/11/22 10:30 p.m.

Update. Wiring is complete and MS1 modified for EDIS.

Unfortunately, I am running into some issues trying to flash MSextra code to the MS1 2.2 w/ BG code. I've followed the guide on DIYautotune and it just won't update. I was able to confirm the USB adapter works and Tunerstudio does indeed show IAT, CLT. TPS, etc. data. So the ECU is functioning on the existing BG code. Below is an image of what happens when I try to flash the new firmware.

The boot jumper is installed when I try this. Also tried without, same result. I realize this is antiquated hardware and software, so finding a solution might be a challenge.

I understand Matt Cramer hangs around GRM quite often, so hopefully he will see this and offer some advice.

Thanks

-John

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/11/22 10:57 p.m.

He doesn't grep MegaSquirt so you may need to bug him directly, or start a new thread.  Paul_VR6 is also very knowledgeable in the MS systems.

That said, I have a 1.01 unit (may have got it from Paul actually) and one of its features is that the chip does not have a bootloader, so its firmware cannot be reflashed via cable.  Depending on how old your MS1 processor is, this may be the case for you, too.

I did an endrun by just buying a new processor, which had a bootloader.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/12/22 9:39 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Thanks Pete! Perhaps I'll reach out directly but I hate to bug him. This chip does have the bootloader location, so I would have to assume it functions. Will continue to research a solution. Tried an older version of the firmware and it required a 16 bit operating system, which I do not currently have. I wonder if there would be a problem using a USB adapter to load firmware. Kinda unlkely in my mind since TS connects just fine.

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/17/22 4:58 p.m.

Update: Fooled around with com ports and battery charge and was able to load up the correct firmware. 

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
6/17/22 10:20 p.m.

Additional update: 

The car has spark, but no fuel it seems. Starts briefly on a spray of ether. This is great because the ignition was the more in depth portion of the build.

Fuel pump works, rail is getting fuel. Going to check the injectors to see if they are functioning. Could be an ms setting I messed up, not super knowledgable about tuning. Something I'll be learning as I go.

Thanks

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
7/5/22 9:28 p.m.

Been quite a while since the last update with the firmware debacle. After messing with different ports and charging the battery up, I was finally able to get Extra firmware uploaded. What followed was a poorly running car that took weeks to diagnose.

Turns out there was a mounting ear that was keeping my intake manifold from sitting flat on the adapter, causing a large vacuum leak. This was mended, several other adjustments were made, and she idles pretty well and revs freely now.

Still some work to do, various leaks to mend, but I am super stoked it runs.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6smkovQUSEM?feature=share

Thanks

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
7/13/22 10:07 a.m.

Water pump replaced last night and it appears to be leak free. Existing unit was leaking out of the weep hole, I assume the seals degraded from sitting. 

Should be able to test the cooling system for further leaks later on this week.

Driveshaft components have been ordered so I can get moving on that.

There does appear to be an oil leak at the rear/ps of the oil pan. Not sure where that is coming from, something to address once a few other items are completed.

-John

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/13/22 10:20 a.m.

This is gonna be a fun car!!!  In for vids! 

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
7/14/22 4:04 p.m.
golfduke said:

This is gonna be a fun car!!!  In for vids! 

Thanks Duke! Will post up more videos once it is driveable.

Thanks

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
8/7/22 5:08 p.m.

Cooling fan and shroud installed. Definitely moves a ton of air. Idle is tuned pretty well for not having an iac. Last item is a driveshaft and I can start some actual tuning.

Various parts of the build bother me, but I'll prob address them next year. Itd be nice to drive it here and there and enjoy it a bit.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
8/21/22 4:26 p.m.

Driveshaft fabbed and installed. All fluids exchanged. We are now running and driving around the neighborhood. 7psi feels pretty good and the bov noise is as cool as I thought it would be.

Have a nice oil leak on the front cover but I'll address that after the tune is reasonable. Autotune is working pretty well so far. 

Videos coming soon.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/26/23 4:12 p.m.

Eventually finished up this build. Will likely be selling in the near future so I put together a quick video.

Thanks

-John

golfduke
golfduke Dork
2/27/23 8:38 a.m.
johnp2 said:

Eventually finished up this build. Will likely be selling in the near future so I put together a quick video.

Thanks

-John

I'm definitely curious on the sale if you don't mind keeping me in the loop- golfduke 9883 at the gmail. 

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/27/23 9:04 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Thanks. I will shoot you an email when the ad goes up. 

-John

golfduke
golfduke Dork
2/27/23 9:20 a.m.

In reply to johnp2 :

You mind me asking a ballpark window of what you're looking to get for it? 

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/27/23 12:44 p.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Good question. Not really sure of its value being such an unusual build. I think it will be above 4500 though if that helps. Just gauged off of the current market for e30 by itself.

Maybe the hive has an idea where I should price this?

-John

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ftXlsGqOMYBA2uDrA2eEW3kOwraAZLed90v1rUIi9ld06xmahzAYEnh8toxa3CxL