1 2
Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/15/18 4:40 p.m.

Sorry for a lack of updates, I haven’t done much at the garage lately. At this point the front suspension is complete aside from the tie rod ends on back order. I believe all of the aluminum panels have been drilled for the rivets and removed. The brake and clutch foot box is installed along with the master cylinders. At this point the hold up is in getting the rear end back from powder coating. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/15/18 9:06 p.m.

And the rear end just came back today. Hopefully doing work Sunday. Dad’s goal is the have the roller done by his birthday in January. 

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/16/18 2:10 p.m.

Looking good!  Every step in the build is a big accomplishment. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/18/18 1:43 p.m.

The freshly coated rear end in the bed of the truck. 

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
11/18/18 7:08 p.m.

Looking good so far!

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/23/18 10:04 a.m.

Now the rear end is off to our regular mechanic for center section to be properly assembled. 3.27 and a Torsen. After that we can get it finished out and in the car. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/30/18 7:19 p.m.

I was wrong about the rear end. The PC was bad and It is at a different shop getting burned off and redone. Funny story with the new shop, the owner rode the school bus with my dad and at some point my dad saved him from a beating from a bully back then so as a late thank you, he is doing the job, along with 16 little pieces, for $25. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
12/1/18 12:16 a.m.

That’s the best story I’ve heard all week!

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/20/19 2:24 p.m.

Update, a combination of no heat in the garage and things being at various shops has slowed progress for the last few months. The rear has been re-powder coated and the internals properly installed. Now to get around to popping in the axles and button it up.

The block went to the machine shop and has come back ready for a new rotating assembly that has been ordered. .030 over plus a .25” bump in stroke puts it at a torquey 331.

Lastly a new fuel tank cover is on its way and then the tank can be installed so the rear end can go in and we can get the rear 3 link hooked up.  

I though I had a shot of the shiny fresh block work, but I guess that will have to wait for tomorrow.

 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/20/19 4:55 p.m.

What kind of spindles and brakes did they use?

 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/20/19 8:20 p.m.
bentwrench said:

What kind of spindles and brakes did they use?

 

Fox body based. The original concept was single donor. The base kit and a complete running fox mustang was all you needed to build one. That said, we are not using a donor so those parts are upgraded pieces. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/20/19 8:57 p.m.

It looks like there are 2 different suspension setups?

Yours has little or no anti-dive. And shorter arms or a wider track.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/23/19 2:24 p.m.

Freshly machined block, the other bank is taped for painting. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/23/19 2:25 p.m.

Disk brake baking plate and 3 link mount on the rear end. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/20/19 4:59 p.m.

Parts have been rolling in although work has been stalled by an extended hospital stay. We’ve racked up multiple free hats from Summit on the large orders. We have just about all the engine internals and those will be off to the shop for spin balancing shortly. 

The most recent delivery was a pair of vintage style winged Koni stickers. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/27/19 2:23 p.m.

Block is painted and the crank is in. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/7/19 1:13 p.m.

The block is complete. We are currently port matching the promaxx heads. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/20/19 3:56 p.m.

Sitting in the frame when I went over to use the vise for working on bike parts. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/14/20 12:44 p.m.


 

Engine on the dyno awaiting first start. Currently working through a no spark condition. 

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/14/20 7:32 p.m.

Great to see an update, hopefully the engine fires soon. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/15/20 2:11 p.m.

We eventually got it fired up. There was one wire to the distributor that the directions wrongly said to not hook up. It ran beautifully for 15 minutes and then when it came time to start dialing in the timing and progressive linkage it went sideways. This is all within the Holly Sniper EFI package. The shop is supposed to get it figured out and broken in and then we go back for the actual dyno run. 
 

When my dad built this engine in the comp cams dyno sim, it came back 440-450 HP and Lb/ft, with a 10% margin of error. 
 

Not sure if I've already given a run down of the hardware, so here goes. 
 

331 stroked Windsor

Promax aluminum heads

Professional Products intake, Edelbrock Airgap RPM clone

10:1 cr

Ford Racing E303 cam, 220/220

Holley Sniper EFI

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/20/20 7:51 a.m.

So the engine ended up needing a little more work. It had two oil leaks to be fixed,  one at the back of the intake manifold and one in the proximity of the front main bearing. Also, the guide plates are too tight and galled up the pushrods. 
 

As far as the sniper, it is getting sent back to Holley to get looked over to make sure it's good. But otherwise the we believe the issues stem from trying to run a progressive linkage rather than a straight, and trying to customize the tune before it could self learn a baseline. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
1/20/20 2:35 p.m.

I keep thinking and dreaming about one of these.  I laughed at my own misfortune this year.  I got the ad for $9900 base kit sale the same day I drove home a Porsche 944 S2.  No Cobra kit for me.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
t9p6eTmNE9d62Lc4C7Vvt8nhGwJ2fim0PaucPd04GTJ8snk8ey3hMt2l7sJi42s5