1 2 3 4
Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
10/24/16 12:12 p.m.
Robbie wrote: GRRRRR. Google drive and picture hosting. Double Grrr. Fixing.

Hosting works great.

Hotlinking doesnt.

On a desktop browser, you can still access the hotlink urls using Picassa web.

On the whole, IMGUR and Flickr are better for cheap/free hotlinking photos.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
10/24/16 12:21 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce):

Yes, you're right on the wording. I was using photobucket, but it is SOOO SLOWWW with ads now and is pissing me off ("just give us $30 per year and we'll make the ads go away - by the way, here's another ad while you think it over") that I was hoping to switch. The photos are already on google drive, so I thought i'd be able to use that. apparently not.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
10/24/16 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Google wants to sell ads as well, so forcing people to the website to view a pic is their way to do it.

java230
java230 Dork
10/24/16 12:27 p.m.

Flickr or Imgur....

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
10/24/16 12:50 p.m.

fictures pixed

java230
java230 Dork
10/24/16 1:18 p.m.

Woohoo looks like progress!

pkingham
pkingham New Reader
10/24/16 1:28 p.m.

Glad to help! Mark is trying to figure out what year challenge to target (he's 10 now) so he was excited to participate in a tiny way. Let me know when you're ready to do corner weights.

Phil (and Mark)

RACEC4R
RACEC4R None
10/24/16 3:12 p.m.

Thanks again Phil/Mark!

Much interest has been generated. Now we really have to deliver!

Ian

John Brown
John Brown MegaDork
10/24/16 4:32 p.m.

Ian, I will give you the words of advice that I received second hand through Pat from The Nelsons

If you have an hour to work in the shop work an hour, if you have 5 minutes, work five minutes.

Become methodical and create a list for each task.

Never get down if you get behind and ask for help if you are overwhelmed.

Good luck brother!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/24/16 8:21 p.m.

I'm not exactly sure where this build is headed or what will be needed but this may be helpful...

About 1/4 mile down the road (or about 4 country houses down the road) from my MILs house and therefore about 3 miles from my house is a motorcycle dismantler.
Here is a link to their ebay store with over 68,000 products.
Link to FB

I'm not sure if their prices are cheap or not but maybe local pickup from a neighbor could sweeten the deal. I'm happy to help any way possible.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
10/25/16 5:50 p.m.

1774 lbs?! That's a GREAT starting point and a good deal less than I expected too!

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
10/26/16 11:20 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

THAT is an excellent tip!! Thank you. Now that you say something I remember you mentioning in the past but I would not have remembered alone.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
10/26/16 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

Less than we expected as well, but these were supposed to be 1850 - 2100 ish from the factory, and this one already had exhaust, intake manifold, and trunk sheet metal removed. So that does seem to be in the ballpark.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
10/26/16 11:23 a.m.

In reply to John Brown:

Thanks! (but trust me, I already have a big list for Ian staring at him from his email... haha)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/27/16 6:48 a.m.

Robbie I may be barking up the wrong tree based on your plans for the car. But hear me out....

Before, I brought up the crazy idea of putting an FSAE car under the 1/9. Which isn't exactly easy to do, since maybe one or two of us have access to an old one of those...

But, what about putting a LoCost under it? And not just any LoCost, but the Miata based one- based on Keith's book. So the rear end would be a Miata subframe and suspension, and the front might fit the front, or, more likely- fabricate the same front suspension as the LoCost, using Miata uprights.

That will net two really nice things- you get a better suspension for the car (not struts), and the window for wheels goes from a tiny 98x4 population to a massive Miata population. In the side, you also end up with more modern brakes as well.

And there's a fabrication option to that, too- instead of using the actual parts from the rear, you can fabricate a fame and a-arms based on the actual hardware. Which may be easier to adapt the motorcycle drive to it. Unless, of course, you find a killer shaft drive that can plug into the diff.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/27/16 8:36 a.m.

As a reference, it appears it's close to EM or DM, but I can't really figure them out too well, as they are Prepared but more- and prepared lets you replace the front struts with A arms, but no reference to the rear.

While the bike engine part would not work in either class, the concept of a Miata like under does. And given the space for an engine, if you can get anywhere near 1300lb, DM is for smaller engines- up to 2.0l- 1380lb w/driver.

Anyway, for the challenge, the "Locost" under is quite legal.

I'll stop trying to sell this concept.

John Brown
John Brown MegaDork
10/27/16 11:21 a.m.

Funny you mentioned that Eric, that was why there was a 2002 Miata sitting next to the Fiat when Robbie picked it up.

Robbie, if you choose that route buy the differential and wheels from Joey48442 and the rest is yours

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
10/27/16 11:47 a.m.

This gon' be sweet!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/27/16 12:05 p.m.

In reply to John Brown:

Great Minds....

John Brown
John Brown MegaDork
10/27/16 3:48 p.m.

Oh, and to ruin you I will have a Renesis for sale in a month or so...

RACEC4R
RACEC4R New Reader
10/28/16 12:49 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

So weight is the issue with all of your (cool and unique) suggestions. If I'm gonna fabricate a tube chassis or locost, I'm not going to involve the X19. LOL. The allure of the X19 is that it weighs slightly more than a tube chassis car and it's already done for us!

We want to put a bike engine in there specifically for a few reasons:

1) Who DOESN'T want a 12,500-13,000 rpm engine in a car?! We've all dreamed of that! 150-175whp @ 1300-1500 lbs is gonna be crazy fast!

2) Sequential close ratio 6 speed transmission. It's integrated into the engine on a motorcycle. Need I say more?!

3) X19 is already mid engined. Can keep chain drive of bike super easy. FR layout of a Miata is infinitely inferior, especially for chassis dynamics of a ultra light race car. There's a reason all race cars are mid engine.

4) We already own the bike engine, ecu, harness, all other systems for $300. To build this thing under $2k with only $1k of recoverables for a max budget of $2-3k will be challenging. Add miata to that plus all that fab work/materials...just no. I like having a life Thank-you-very-much. LOL. Also, we want to stick with 13" wheels. 225/13 A7's are gonna be so sick! Custom 4x98 bolt pattern with custom backspacing 13x8 rims from Diamond/Bassett are like $60 each? @ 14 lbs? Good enough for us. We're literally designing this car around the powertrain/tires/wheels.

5) We have one distinct advantage...of the 10 member team we're rocking right now...9 of us are Product Development Engineers at Ford. Robbie is in fact the only non-professional engineer in the entire group! LOL! What?! I just now looked at that...

Here's the breakdown:

Transmission and Drivetrain Engineers:

Ian - RWD Technology and Innovation

Neil - RWD Technology and Innovation

Mark - Ford Performance Drivetrain

Donovan - 10R Calibration

Mike - 4WD Calibration

Peter - 10R Calibration

Hybrid Engineers:

Taylor - MHT Calibration

Jason - MHT Calibration

Greg - EPE Calibration

Team Engineer:

Robbie - Rockstar, Team lead.

So if we need custom anything, we can design/brainpower it no problem. In fact, I just have to shout over to the next cube to get completely custom axles designed if I feel so inclined. So this is one of our strengths we will no doubt utilize.

I would love to have a shaft drive option, but I don't think anything out there can handle the Torque + Weight + budget. There are sick nasty solutions to our problem, but they cost $2-4k. Just can't for the competition.

Using a naked differential, or the Infinity J30 VLSD differential + axles I have sitting in my garage for a $50 budget hit is where it's at. We'll fabricate a subframe to hold the bike engine anyways, and either mount it all transverse, or longitudinal depending on the diff layout we decide on. We will just add provisions to hold our diff. This can be accomplished many ways, but we like to keep things simple and OEM. If we do, replacements are cheap/easy to find. Make it all super complicated and unique/fabbed. You're absolutely screwed if you did something wrong or keep breaking a certain component.

Love the ideas though everyone! You are all a special breed of crazy! Keep em' coming!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/28/16 1:23 p.m.

Where you are guys doing the build? There a GRM guy in my section, too- he doesn't post at all, but lurks.

BTW, no reason you could not replicate what the Miata does with a tube frame- seems like the basic suspension is better than the struts on the 1/9. There has to be a FSAE guy among you all....

Anyway, have fun! That's the point afterall.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/28/16 2:47 p.m.

Sure that is a real Fiat? Not nearly enough rust.

Please tell me that you have an indoor place to work so that this does not come to a stop for the winter. Or failing that that the team is of polar bear disposition and wont give a berk.

John Brown
John Brown MegaDork
10/28/16 2:54 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Sure that is a real Fiat? Not nearly enough rust. Please tell me that you have an indoor place to work so that this does not come to a stop for the winter. Or failing that that the team is of polar bear disposition and wont give a berk.

That car is blue, it's so oxidized it looks yellow

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
10/28/16 4:40 p.m.

I would offer that you might want to trade the j30 diff and axles for a 240sx diff and axles. Same rear end but different axles that you can actually buy replacements for. The j30's are as common as hen's teeth.

And if you do that, I'll buy your j30 axles as spares for my track car. :) I'd love to swap them out for regular 240 axles but it would mean a lot of work to figure out which stub shafts and axles work with my unknown lsd in my jdm car.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EjhlPqSfg40LlLAoJLMJGQOb9HBpPNfV4wFuKBXuCP78xMvuWUbh5z1NYQgefJ63