1 2
NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/27/20 4:43 p.m.

I have been off and on looking for something to do light-duty towing, rally volunteering, recce,  light off-roading, etc.

I had an Impreza wagon and a set of Forester struts and was going to go the lifted Impreza route, but I changed my mind and sold all of that, besides I wouldn't really do the light-duty towing part. I have a 01 Chevy 1500HD for towing but as most have noted the ol 6.0L is fond of gas pumps!!

I have a friend that has a 99 Toyota 4Runner and thought that would be a good option, but WOW is the Toyota Tax around here strong. Decent one can easily top $6K around here. What really got me going was last week, I found a 01 4Runner for $3500 in NW Toronto. Decided to go take a look. Total rust bucket sad

Some of the other threads around here got me thinking about other late 90's - early 2000's mid-sized suv's. So I was searching Montero's, Blazer's, etc. I found one other rig that had a solid reputation like the 4Runner but didn't get the Toyota Tax. I was searching around and just missed one last week in Mississauga. Saturday night wham - this shows up.

04 Nissan Pathfinder LE - absolutely loaded (actually more than I'd really like because when that stuff goes - ouch!).  I take a look and confirm what the seller is saying - one small section of rotted exhaust and a PS problem. On the spot, I throw him and offer of $750 CAD. He says yes and I pay him.

Headed out this morning with the tow pig and picked it up.

For up here this thing is clean!!! Only rust I found - rockers - both sides just in front of the rear wheels. Key is, it's not through and it's fixable.

Other than that - it looks good. 

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/27/20 4:46 p.m.

So preliminary investigation shows that one of the hardlines on the rack has stripped threads. So it may require a replacement rack.

Anyone ever heard of using a helicoli or threadsert for this type of thing?

Exhaust work will go to a shop as the section requires a bend and I don't have the gear for that.

This should easily be on the road for under $2K!!

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
1/27/20 4:59 p.m.

Check the front inner fenders/skirts.  Is a chronic rust spot.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/27/20 5:03 p.m.
noddaz said:

Will do - thanks

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/27/20 9:30 p.m.
NGTD said:
noddaz said:

Will do - thanks

Checked them - they are all good!!

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
1/29/20 4:08 p.m.

Decided to order up a rack from a nearby auto recycler but they can't pull it until Monday.

I guess I'll call the local Nissan dealer for a new set of steering rack bushings.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/4/20 9:19 p.m.

Last Thursday morning a bunch of headed to Maniwaki, QC to help out at Rally Perce Neige 2020.  It was a great rally.

Even better news happened on the way there. I received a call back from one of the interviews I had and they made an offer!!! As of Feb. 17, I will be re-employed!!!

While we were there my friends 4Runner decided to not go due to an electrical issue, so we bummed a ride back and set off with his tow rig to retrieve it on Monday. 11 hour round trip.

Thanks to being away and the retrieval, I hadn't had a chance to get anything done. This morning I headed out to get a used steering rack.

Decent unit and only $125.

Removal of old one happened after I helped my friend replace the alternator in his 4Runner. 2 weeks ago he got significant frostbite on several fingers and he still can't do some jobs. So I did most of it and then he let me use his heated garage for my work.

New steering bushings in tomorrow.

During the removal work, I broke one of the fittings off for the trans cooler on the radiator, so I think I'm going to have to order a new rad. The fitting was heavily corroded and broke off really easily.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
2/4/20 10:31 p.m.

I really like those SUVs. They drive great. I had a '97 that I threw 31s on, it was great other than the lack of power. Your VQ version fixes that.

As mentioned, rust in the front strut towers is a big issue. There's a recall for it, I've done a bunch of them.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/5/20 12:01 a.m.

Great trucks except for the transmissions. Manuals like to destroy the input shaft, autos like to milkshake through the trans cooler. If it's an auto put a divorced trans cooler on it ASAP and replace the radiator.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/5/20 2:11 p.m.
Javelin said:

Great trucks except for the transmissions. Manuals like to destroy the input shaft, autos like to milkshake through the trans cooler. If it's an auto put a divorced trans cooler on it ASAP and replace the radiator.

Well funny enough, while I was trying to get the rack out, I broke off one of the transmission cooler lines going into the radiator. New radiator sitting in the back of my car as we write.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/5/20 2:13 p.m.

Rack is out.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/5/20 6:46 p.m.

Replacement steering rack is in but I was tired and forgot to take a pic.

Tomorrow - replace L Tie-rod end and swap in new radiator.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/8/20 8:22 a.m.

Steering rack work fully completed and new radiator in. Tuesday morning it's getting the exhaust fixed. I have a CEL for the EVAP Valve, apparently a common issue on Nissan's. 

It's registered and running on a temp plate for now. I've been fortunate that my friend is letting me use his insulated and heated garage.

jorcane
jorcane New Reader
2/8/20 12:48 p.m.

Heck yeah, I really like this body style. Keep posting updates, im weirdly interested.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/8/20 4:32 p.m.

Very nice.  Love the wheels. They're one of the better-looking oem wheels I've seen

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/11/20 12:07 p.m.

I had to farm out the exhaust repair, so my Pathfinder is now quiet, but my wallet is also lighter to the tune of $371.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/11/20 2:53 p.m.

Getting winter boots on!  

No - they don't match. Firestone's on rear and Kingstar(??) on front 
No - I don't care.

Yes - they were $100 on rims for all 4

Yes - I'm going to try to find Centre caps

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/11/20 2:58 p.m.

Even took the time to vacuum it out. It won't get this kind of pampering much!!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
2/11/20 5:29 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Old Man Emu makes suspension for those, if you're looking for a little lift. 

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/12/20 7:25 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

I'm pretty sure Old Man Emu makes suspension for those, if you're looking for a little lift. 

Good to know thanks. Not planning to lift it at this point, however that could change.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/12/20 10:24 a.m.

EVAP Purge Valve isn't working and causing a CEL. Got under the truck and started the process of removal.

Ordered a complete EVAP Canister c/w valve - nothing is coming off easy under there! God I hate salt.

ggarrard
ggarrard Reader
2/12/20 10:43 a.m.

Ask your local Nissan dealer if the car has had the front strut recall done.  If it has you shouldn't have any further problems in that area. Our 2004 SE rusted behind the rear fender flairs, even though it had been Krown sprayed during our ownership (mud / dirt collects behind the plastic flairs).  

Never experienced any mechanical issues with any our 3 pathfinders, other than wheel bearings on the 2008, and we averaged 200k kms on each.

Enjoy the truck...

Cheers

Gordon

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/13/20 7:28 p.m.

Today, I did a bunch of wandering, but I ended up at a U-Pull yard about 1 1/4 hours from home underneath a Pathfinder. They were closing at 5 and of course I get 2 of 3 bolts holding the EVAP Canister out and the 3rd rounds off. I am going to go back with my extractor set and a drill and see what I can do. However it's supposed to be -24C here tonight (that's -11 F) and tomorrow is only going to get to about -10C so we will see.

On the plus side, as I am wandering past a Pathfinder, what do I see on the passenger seat? 4 Centre Caps that fit my wheels!!  Grabbed those!

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/14/20 6:23 p.m.

Well my automotive (mid)adventures netted me a Vapour Canister and Alternator for the Pathfinder and a Rear Wiper motor and extra Wiper Arm for my Rabbit. I also avoided frostbite which wasn't easy since it didn't get above -14C and was still -18C when I started. 

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
2/14/20 7:11 p.m.

You're nuts junkyarding in that weather! On the other hand I'm sure there's lots of good stuff passing through this time of year unpicked.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qyvIOnfFD5BCY55IZmz4iFdAdVUFgPnhdtZIvKZyiefscKMHGR5Fg0hfMZ86LEXu