1 2 3 4
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/13/22 1:36 p.m.

What a tease!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/13/22 1:38 p.m.

Too bad! I am still hoping it comes sooner, especially with fuel prices not likely to drop sudddenly.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
4/23/22 10:37 a.m.

Got assigned a Vin yesterday. Checked our estimating software to see how bad parts on it are. Read as a good Vin but pricing hasn't been released yet.

The email reinforced a may 30th build week. Inching closer

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
4/26/22 9:54 p.m.

Ford lightning production opened today. Getting closer

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
4/26/22 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Norma66-Brent :

Out of curiousity, what dealer are you working with?  Was just down at North Liberty today. 

PM me if you don't want to put it out publicly. 

I got shown around the BMW i4 and iX they had outside the showroom while I was there. Even if the outside has taken a flew blows from an ugly stick, that is a really nice interior on the iX. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/26/22 10:42 p.m.

I caught parts of the Ford video launch today.  I'm very excited for you and look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. 

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
4/27/22 6:42 a.m.
Cooper_Tired said:

Congrats! 
I opted for a 3.5 Lariat that should hopefully be ready in March

March was not the case. Date moved 4 times and it has been "in production" stats since 4/15.  Actual arrival tbd 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
4/27/22 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired :

That stinks man. It seems like lightning production is pretty on pace. They have hit every deadline so far. Be interesting to see if they will be on time

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
4/27/22 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Deery in Iowa City. Been smooth so far

Karacticus
Karacticus SuperDork
5/3/22 11:53 a.m.

Seen this?  It's only about a week old.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
5/7/22 9:36 p.m.

poop

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/7/22 11:18 p.m.

I discovered today that one of my auto crossing friends was a packaging engineer for the Lightning :) He's now working on some 2026 sedan for China. 

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
5/8/22 12:02 a.m.

In reply to Norma66-Brent :

At least it's just a week's delay...

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/8/22 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I made a similar discovery about one of my autocrossing friends, too!  Small world.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/8/22 12:39 p.m.

Had an interesting and too-short conversation about how the Lightning isn't but is almost a skateboard. Sounds like he, as a young engineer - he graduated maybe 4 years ago - was a bit frustrated by the requirement to keep costs down as much as possible, which required a lot of reuse from the F150. Of course, that's what makes the current truck possible. 

He also says they're designing the 2026 cars using the batteries of today, which led to some discussion of minor chemistry changes. Also the enthusiasm for sedans in China :) Also, Ford has him working from home permanently. 

I need to take him out to dinner and pick his brain. We used to race together before he graduated and moved to Detroit, and now that he's back he's got some interesting stories. Smart, driven and a VERY fast driver, I'd want him working on the design of my truck. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
5/17/22 1:31 p.m.

Starting to see some dealers get their demo trucks. Seeing outrageous prices thrown out there. I'm hoping I don't have to sign a resale contract. I wouldn't mind throwing it on BAT and seeing if I can fund the next two car builds.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
5/18/22 1:20 p.m.

I mean it sounds like the truck is going to do about everything well. My guess is your creature comfort guess is right on. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/18/22 1:34 p.m.

Tesla mods are about creature comforts, styling (inside and out) and performance. Basically, the usual range minus the stuff involving power output :)

I would expect the Lightning aftermarket to look a lot like the F150 aftermarket. Lots of bumpers and lights and wheels and lift kits and toys to put in the bed. With the shared body parts, a lot of that will overlap with the ICE version. 

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
5/18/22 2:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Had an interesting and too-short conversation about how the Lightning isn't but is almost a skateboard. Sounds like he, as a young engineer - he graduated maybe 4 years ago - was a bit frustrated by the requirement to keep costs down as much as possible, which required a lot of reuse from the F150. Of course, that's what makes the current truck possible. 

He also says they're designing the 2026 cars using the batteries of today, which led to some discussion of minor chemistry changes. Also the enthusiasm for sedans in China :) Also, Ford has him working from home permanently. 

I need to take him out to dinner and pick his brain. We used to race together before he graduated and moved to Detroit, and now that he's back he's got some interesting stories. Smart, driven and a VERY fast driver, I'd want him working on the design of my truck. 

No harm intended, but he doesn't sound very smart if he is frustrated / confused / turned off by sharing parts.  It is smart to reuse as much as possible of the current, in production, Tier 1 supplier supported F150 on the new Lightning for many $Texas reasons.  No just money...speeding up development to get to the market before Rivan, Chevy, and GMC.   Super smart.  And saves the consumer money.  Win-win.

We might could have gotten a 'real' supra if Toyota had done the same thing.   Nissan figured it out with the new Z.  I wish they would all figure it out.   I don't need a new windshield washer stalk or a new door handle design every 3 years.  So wasteful.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/18/22 3:30 p.m.

I think he felt he could have made a better EV if it weren't for the reuse constraints. When your goal is to make the best possible vehicle, having to use a non-ideal part will grate. Nothing wrong with doing that, there are benefits. But it means building something that's not as good as it could be from a technical standpoint. 

I never said he was confused or turned off, I said he was "a little bit frustrated" which is totally understandable. You are reading waaaaay too much into that post. 

I know he's smart and good, I've seen his work on FSAE and his own cars. And he's motivated to do the best possible job. 

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
5/18/22 3:45 p.m.

Maybe I did read a bit into it, but I get FRUSTRATED when vehicle engineers and designers keep fixing the unbroken, just to keep themselves employed.  Which is 99% of them.

The F150 lightning was never going to be, or was ever intended to be, the best car or EV possible.  This isn't the new Gordon Murray no expense spared, add lightness $3 million dollar 2 seater.

Smart would be understanding the REASON you are re-using the door handle and wiper switch. And look to reuse MORE.  Encourage it.  It saves the planet, saves Ford money and saves me money.   No one is buying the Lightning to get a new interior bit.  Or a fancy headlight.  Or a custom stamped tailgate.

I'm looking forward to the Lightning and the updates in this thread!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/18/22 3:57 p.m.

You can understand the REASON for parts reuse but still be frustrated that you can't do a better version. If you're not a little frustrated by that as an engineer, your best days are behind you. That's worlds away from putting a new set of taillights on a car just so it's "new and improved" for the next model year.

I never said anything about door handles and wiper switches. Since we're talking about a packaging engineer, it could have been something like the floorboard stamping of the cab. Think about how that could affect trying to build a vehicle with a completely different type of powertrain. Could they have wanted to put something under the back seat, like Ford did on the Mach E? Dunno, I didn't get the chance to ask for specific examples during a quick "hey, I heard you worked on the Lightning!" chat between autox runs.  But he's not a guy driven by fashion, he's very much a functional person.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
5/18/22 9:58 p.m.

I bought it because it's going to be a fast as anything on the street and still do truck things. I will dig anything on the street once I get it. My FIL has been giving me a super hard time about it up until I reminded him it's going to be as fast as his viper and hellcat on the street.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
5/25/22 1:01 p.m.

Moved back another week

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
6/7/22 1:53 p.m.

I spec'd out nearly the identical truck yesterday. but the extended range buy in of $20k just really turns me off. [and my grumpy old man self at the costs in general of any new vehicles]

my 2014 Ecoboost is fantastic, about to hit 100k miles and has all kinds of "first gen" items i'm worried about. (timing chains, leaking turbos, carbon on the back of the valves etc.) 

Have you had any thoughts on it being the "first gen" or do you consider the Mach-e the first gen trial vehicle? 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CEkktRnbH0k51ATCkn3o76w1CT4S4eo017tTWhLJnizZYppYSTGqnauFMX7S6PBc