5 6 7 8 9
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/24/22 12:03 a.m.

Let us know how the exhaust system is holding up.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/24/22 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

it's telling me to v8 swap my lightning  

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
7/27/22 11:55 a.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

just realized there is sport mode on top of what i have been driving......

I wonder how much quicker it accelerates than the old non-electric Lightnings.

Now if only it *looked* as sporty as those. Gimme a flareside EV Lightning with custom body kit. devil

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/27/22 11:59 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

(extrapolating from my own experience) I think part of it isn't just that it's quick, but that the speed is so effortless. There's no delay, no noise, no gear shifting, no fuss - the thing just accelerates immediately.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
7/27/22 12:05 p.m.

Like flipping a light switch. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/27/22 12:11 p.m.

Yall talked me into a Prius earlier this year. 

Now you're trying to talk me into ev.

It's wild times to live in.   

Watching this with interest. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/27/22 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I like to call the accelerator pedal a speed rheostat. It doesn't control the rate of change of speed anymore, it controls the actual speed of the vehicle. This is especially true with regen and one-pedal driving, you move the pedal to the position that corresponds to the speed you want and you keep it there :)

Not 100% true but it kinda feels that way.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
7/27/22 1:25 p.m.

The one-pedal driving took me a couple minutes to get use to but it actually works super well. I really need an excuse for an 80k EV pickup truck. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/27/22 10:50 p.m.

200 mile update. Truck is smarter than me. mileage per kwh really do improve if you keep your foot out of it. big if

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
7/28/22 8:11 a.m.

That blue is so interesting. I flip between loving it and hating it. (i've got a Blue Jeans Metallic 2014 Ecoboost). 

In this latest picture it looks almost purple/black.  

Keep the updates coming. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/28/22 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Norma66-Brent :

What is your range for mi/khw? I am curious.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/28/22 8:26 a.m.

this is my commute in everyday. little bit of highway but mostly in town

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
7/28/22 8:40 a.m.

is mi/kwh the unit for economy? I.e. @tuna55 is that a measurement your Bolt gives out? 

curious. 

I did watch the TFL videos on their trip to alaska where they got from 1.2 mi/kwh to 1.8mi/kwh with a camper on the back.  The lowest at 65 mph bluecruise, and the highest at 60mph with an airdam on the camper iirc. 

per your screen above, is that 207 mi total range with a full charge?  Isnt that nearly 80 miles less than the rating on your extended battery? (or is this like my mpg on the ecoboost where when i'm towing at 14mpg, the range recalcs much lower). 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/28/22 8:46 a.m.

everything is kwh. the full charge has been netting me around 220 miles full. the problem is i have been driving like a ass*** so my overall mileage estimate down.

i have a standard range battery.

standard range is rated at 230 miles full

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/28/22 10:04 a.m.
Mad_Ratel said:

is mi/kwh the unit for economy? I.e. @tuna55 is that a measurement your Bolt gives out? 

curious. 

I did watch the TFL videos on their trip to alaska where they got from 1.2 mi/kwh to 1.8mi/kwh with a camper on the back.  The lowest at 65 mph bluecruise, and the highest at 60mph with an airdam on the camper iirc. 

per your screen above, is that 207 mi total range with a full charge?  Isnt that nearly 80 miles less than the rating on your extended battery? (or is this like my mpg on the ecoboost where when i'm towing at 14mpg, the range recalcs much lower). 

Yes it is the same unit. I believe Tesla gives the inverse of that unit. My lifetime average is 4.1 mi/khw, but it's higher in the summer, higher at low speeds, and much lower in winter with the heat on. Given it's a small hatch compared to an F150, and likely half the weight, I am not surprised at the disparity.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/28/22 10:08 a.m.

Looks like Ford is calculating range based on recent consumption (like my Dodge diesel does) not on rating. The former seems the most useful, especially on a vehicle that can vary so much. I don't know how the Tesla does it because it turns out my average is bang on the rated number, but given the consistency I suspect it's using rated efficiency and not a real-time number.

The economy unit is not consistent yet. Teslas report Wh/mi, the EPA ratings are in KWh/100mi and I think both Ford and GM are using mi/KWh which is the inverse. You see the same thing in ICE economy - Canada uses L/100 km while the US uses MPG. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/28/22 12:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Looks like Ford is calculating range based on recent consumption (like my Dodge diesel does) not on rating. The former seems the most useful, especially on a vehicle that can vary so much. I don't know how the Tesla does it because it turns out my average is bang on the rated number, but given the consistency I suspect it's using rated efficiency and not a real-time number.

The economy unit is not consistent yet. Teslas report Wh/mi, the EPA ratings are in KWh/100mi and I think both Ford and GM are using mi/KWh which is the inverse. You see the same thing in ICE economy - Canada uses L/100 km while the US uses MPG. 

That's strange, it only makes sense to use recent consumption.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/28/22 12:55 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I expect EV's to be much  like ICE's depends a lot on the driver and his environment. 
       Climbing hills is likely to consume  more than is possible for the regen to return.  
    Lead footed people who zoom in and out of traffic  won't achieve as well as those who carefully analyze traffic patterns and adjust to them.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/28/22 1:13 p.m.
tuna55 said:
Keith Tanner said:

That's strange, it only makes sense to use recent consumption.

I don't know for sure that's what's going on because like I said, our average is bang on the rating. I don't pay much attention to day to day variation. The default is battery percentage, so the "range" is being used as another way to display that.

When you do trip planning, it takes speed and altitude change into account and will constantly recalculate based on actual consumption. It uses battery percentage for that as well. I don't think extrapolated range is native to the way the programming thinks, it's all about percentage because the relationship between range and percentage is basically just a best guess. Percentage is the thing you actually know.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/29/22 3:04 p.m.

Interesting Rivian vs Lightning road test in Motor Trend. It's a pretty good read. The comments about the bed show that Ford just plain knows trucks and truck users.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-vs-rivian-r1t-electric-truck-comparison-test-review

One thing I thought was quite worthwhile was their charging speed test. Peak charging speeds are like horsepower numbers, they're just a single number that doesn't tell you the whole story about how quickly you can fill a battery. The Lightning's peak charging speed isn't high for a modern EV, but it's got a lot more area under the curve than the peak number would indicate.

Also, note that loading the bed didn't have an effect on range during their test. I've been postulating for a while that thanks to regenerative braking, vehicle weight has a much smaller effect on energy consumption on an EV than it does on an ICE. In the former, you spend energy to accelerate the mass but then you have more energy available to recover. In an ICE, you spend more energy to accelerate but then you throw it all away with friction brakes.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/30/22 2:11 p.m.

Absolutely Brilliant!   You are most likely right. And I use the word most very lightly since  you say it's your theory.   However it certainly sounds valid. 
  If Ford offered a F150 lightening EV in a regular cab I'd be at  the dealers today buying one.  They actually could  using the extended battery arrangement  in the  short battery pack. OK I'd live with shorter range.  I'm an old Geezer  and longish trips are past me.   The few I'll take in the future I'd be patient enough to spend the required time charging.  

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/30/22 3:18 p.m.

Short bed lighting would get my money. Be a great shop truck.

Rons
Rons HalfDork
7/30/22 4:52 p.m.

I’ve seen conjecture/ read between the lines Ford may be considering dropping cab selection to two types, and Supercrew is the most popular. My conjecture is in the future F150s will have either a regular cab or Supercrew dropping the Supercab.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/30/22 10:46 p.m.

To my knowledge Ford doesn't offer the F150 EV in regular cab 

Rons
Rons HalfDork
7/30/22 11:27 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

The articles I’ve seen were referring to all F150s, so the next redesign would see two cabs available and electric versions would be included.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RC8ud3Jl3utfMw8AOfaxPS5AeBlmqXbkeUVqU6hgPEua25YfGiZY9VAiQYkjqADT