1 2 3 4
Ransom
Ransom UltimaDork
3/18/20 6:38 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Maybe a hydroboost system?

I've also seen electric boosters before.

I'll admit I *am* about to make a cup of coffee, which implies undercaffeination, but... Am I parsing that correctly to mean that you've seen electric brake boosters that are not a combination of an electric hydraulic (PS) pump and hydroboost? Direct electric assist to brakes?

I need to learn more about hydroboost setups. Vacuum boosters are bulky, and electric PS pumps are easy. Being able to do PS and PB without hanging anything else on the accessory drive or off the firewall would be pretty rad.

Ah, is it something like this, which is sort of a self-contained hydroboost kit, with pump and master together?

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
3/19/20 7:58 a.m.
Vigo said:

Cool project, but if this was a 240 thread I'd buy the one ive been staring at on CL and put a v10 in it. 

The wagon in the Dallas area or the 76 that's local? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/19/20 9:07 a.m.

Pulled the booster off last night and installed the Miata clutch pedal and bracket. Dead easy. The master for the clutch is a 86 Toyota LandCruiser item that pretty much bolts on to the Miata assembly studs. The plan at this point is internal throwout bearing against my best judgment.

Brakes are going full manual cause, why not? Also, gotta love how the 740 has a separate brake line for each of the two pucks in the  caliper.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/22/20 4:57 p.m.

Pretty much got the beast attached to the car. 

The transmission mount that we kept from the challenge 760 was a direct bolt-in.  Attached to the tub and the Tremek gearbox as if the factory made it that way.  

The engine mounts are pretty basic, They are simple pedestals that will have a hole drilled front to back for a bolt to go through.  Tacked in place.

The PS exhaust manifold will work. Found a piece of downpipe that will clear the chassis and gearbox that we can then build off once under the car. Going to be a single exhaust at this point.

Driveshaft needs to be noodled a bit more....currently the car has a two piece driveshaft. Methinks we would be better off if it were converted to a single shaft. Not sure it that is possible at this point. But why not? Stock rear end is staying till it goes BOOM!

Bit of fun cause the mockup block is from a FWD and only one  bellhousing bolt lines up.

Pete

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/22/20 5:00 p.m.

There was front wheel drive modular v8 ford????

What was it? 

Never heard this before. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/22/20 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

So I have been told. I am not the Ford guy driving this project, just the hired help! I do know for a fact that the engine mount bosses for the RWD application are there but not drilled and tapped.

gumby
gumby HalfDork
3/22/20 6:05 p.m.

Lincoln Continental

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/22/20 6:17 p.m.

After you're done with that fwd mockup block, maybe you could draw up a bellhousing adapter to mate it to some nice manual transmission of some sort. It would be fun to stick one of those in the back of a MR2 or something.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/22/20 8:44 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

These mod engines are HUGE!

I will leave that project to someone else.

Once of the interesting and fun things about this is that so far, other than the cost of the car, not a single dollar has been spent on parts. This probably could have been a challenge car.

Pete

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/22/20 9:01 p.m.
slowbird said:

After you're done with that fwd mockup block, maybe you could draw up a bellhousing adapter to mate it to some nice manual transmission of some sort. It would be fun to stick one of those in the back of a MR2 or something.

It's a Ford engine so you'll need a degree in Ford bellhousing interchange to figure out which one transmission pattern it has out of the 10,000 Ford offered.  That said I want a Volvo with a modular Ford V8 now.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/22/20 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

From my research (googling), I'm more or less convinced that the FWD mod motor has a totally unique bellhousing and doesn't interchange with anything at all.

That said, I've seen at least one person who used a custom adapter to convert it for RWD use. I would like to do something similar, except keep it in FWD transverse layout but with a manual transmission (and then also possibly move it back to the trunk area)

Nobody ever accused me of having *good* ideas. laugh

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa HalfDork
3/22/20 9:32 p.m.
Ransom said:
Mr_Asa said:

Maybe a hydroboost system?

I've also seen electric boosters before.

I'll admit I *am* about to make a cup of coffee, which implies undercaffeination, but... Am I parsing that correctly to mean that you've seen electric brake boosters that are not a combination of an electric hydraulic (PS) pump and hydroboost? Direct electric assist to brakes?

I need to learn more about hydroboost setups. Vacuum boosters are bulky, and electric PS pumps are easy. Being able to do PS and PB without hanging anything else on the accessory drive or off the firewall would be pretty rad.

Ah, is it something like this, which is sort of a self-contained hydroboost kit, with pump and master together?

I believe that's what it is.  Its been a long while since I've seen anything new about it (on their homepage they have a Classic Truck issue with Stacy David's Copperhead truck, if that gives you a reference)

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset.html

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/22/20 11:08 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Well everyone else has the market cornered on good ideas so might as well specialize in something different.  And I guess we're now at 10,001 Ford bell housings.  

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
3/23/20 5:03 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Brakes are going full manual cause, why not? Also, gotta love how the 740 has a separate brake line for each of the two pucks in the  caliper.

Maybe teaching how to suck eggs here, but just remember that the 740 without ABS has a diagonally split braking system, meaning that each front caliper has two separate circuits. If you keep the standard master cylinder and plumbing, and just remove the brake booster, it will work.

I repeatedly see people who swap in another master cylinder, and just T the two halves of the front calipers together and then you effectively have a single circuit braking system - not ideal. It also happens that people reconfigure the coupling block so they have one circuit to one front wheel and the three other wheels on the other circuit. That makes for some interesting brake balance issues.

I like the project (although I don't really think I like Volvos...) :-)

Gustaf

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/23/20 5:49 a.m.

In reply to therealpinto :

That little E36 M3 show with the brakes has been discovered. Thanks for the insight.

Pete

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/30/20 9:15 a.m.

So, two weeks have gone by.

In the meantime, the car went from being normally aspirated 5 speed to a dual turbo with a 5 speed to a Normally aspirated with an auto.

The manual had to go because the flywheel got misplaced. Shame cause the rest of the parts were there and the clutch parts were already installed.

The dual turbos came and went. Shoulda took pics. They were gonna require hood surgery extend the project by an unknown amount of time, and end up costing some $$ in a time where $$ is not coming in, so one night when I was not around, they got scrapped. Sure looked impressive!

So, the real engine and real autobox are ready to go in for real. This represents the stock drivetrain that we pulled out of the Lincoln. The wiring is already installed. The only remaining challenge is going to be the driveshaft and final exhaust fab.

Pete

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/30/20 10:39 a.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to slowbird :

These mod engines are HUGE!

I will leave that project to someone else.

Once of the interesting and fun things about this is that so far, other than the cost of the car, not a single dollar has been spent on parts. This probably could have been a challenge car.

Pete

till you lose the keys and throw in the towel again

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/30/20 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

This one is also not my car.

I learned my lesson. Won't be doing any more challenge cars. Took a huge  alignment od the cosmos to make the last car happen and I cant see it ever happening again. Building cars in Canada is just too expensive.

The good news is that we tracked down the guy who bought the challenge carcass and reacquired the exhaust and driveshaft. Both should bolt right in and solve the last two fabrication challenges. This thing could fire as soon as next weekend.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
3/30/20 12:12 p.m.

You could go Opel GT style on the brakes and move the whole works up by the grill with a long actuation rod.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/30/20 5:18 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Don't make us track down the other Petes and get them to re-invigorate your enthusiasm for the Challenge! Anything is possible devil

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/30/20 7:30 p.m.

Mustang Pete (owner) tracked down the guy who bought the Challenge Volvo shell and has acquired the driveshaft and the exhaust system. Those  two items should pretty much bolt on and complete this project. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/8/20 10:40 a.m.

Well, the warhead arrived in the shop last night.

Of COURSE the plan has changed. What were you thinking!

Air to water intercooler burried under the blower.

Anyone localish need a Volvo red block and autobox before it goes to the scrapyard?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/11/20 9:55 a.m.

Looks factory now

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
4/11/20 10:11 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Anyone localish need a Volvo red block and autobox before it goes to the scrapyard?

I'm not local, but am looking for a squirter block. I didn't catch what year model your 740 is.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/11/20 10:19 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

Sounds like some kind of Swill sex thing... 

The wagon is a 86 I believe? How do I recognize a "Squirter"?

Pete

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cSqpuNudqm5fme2PvWPizZP51UuIZ4Z65nhoWpAdZR9bNH0oOaBdl7N6D4GroszJ