3 4 5 6 7
CoolHandMoss
CoolHandMoss Reader
12/15/22 2:59 p.m.

Are you using any insulator between the fasteners and the panels to allow some flex? I don't know that you need one I'm just curious. 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
12/15/22 3:10 p.m.

In reply to CoolHandMoss :

No I'm not but I think I should have.   Next time I remove the panels I'll add a rubber washer.  I'm not able to tighten them down properly now without cranking the clear coat

CoolHandMoss
CoolHandMoss Reader
12/15/22 3:15 p.m.

Yeah I was thinking a rubber washer might do well. The panels are looking great. I envy your composite skills. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
12/15/22 3:17 p.m.

Some cars use flange bolts like these for the bumper covers- I collect Subaru ones for the rally car, they have a nice little shoulder on them to not squish the panel.  Maybe something like that plus rubber would work for crucial connections?

Subaru Front Bumper Flange Bolts 2015-2021 WRX/STI - FastWRX.com

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
12/15/22 5:03 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Thats almost identical to what I'm using actually

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
12/15/22 5:07 p.m.

That first photo was garage, these aren't much better but they give you a bit more of an idea of whats going on.  Someone needs to take away my angle grinder.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
12/30/22 6:20 p.m.

I'm slowly ditching more and more panels.  I need to relocate that oil cooler and clean it up but man it looks wild!  I'll run the body panels on the track but I'm digging the Mad Max look for cars and coffee  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/6/23 6:56 a.m.

Project Avoid Buying Porsche Parts.  With the body done I'm trying to return the car to road worthiness (not just strictly a track car) so I had to add some things back like headlights that I tossed a decade ago. Instead of buying $1,000 used Porsche lights I found these cheap motorcycle lights on Amazon.  The factory headlight covers will go back on and I need to clean up the aluminum mounts I made but it's going to work.

blinkers 

DRLs

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
1/6/23 8:59 a.m.

This is madness.  Very cool.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
1/6/23 9:40 a.m.

It has the look/feel of a can-am car!  Love it!

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
1/6/23 9:55 a.m.

Love this!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
1/6/23 10:27 a.m.

Funny, the lights set it off the most for me. Simply incredible build, I hadn't kept up with this car since the TT5 days, but wow. Inspirational!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
1/6/23 11:52 a.m.
Box4VIR said:

With the body done I'm trying to return the car to road worthiness (not just strictly a track car)

You would be crazy to drive this car on the street. Our type of crazy! It will definitely break some necks from unsuspecting onlookers.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
1/6/23 3:29 p.m.

Crazy is good.....right?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/8/23 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Thanks!  I was going for a Can-am/si-fi look (odd combo I know).  The wing supported from the sides was stolen from the 60-80 Can-Am and Group 5 cars.  The rear render openings are from a 917 (the most famous Can-Am car), and the side/fender intakes are inspired from the 3.0 CSl Batmobile.  To me those old race cars are as good as it gets.  I am absolutely not a car designer or body work guy at all, so piecing this stuff together (even poorly) has been a ton of fun.  Especially after a decade of having to conform to tight racing class restrictions.   

this guy was also a huge inspiration (Ash Thorp).   If you haven't seen his stuff yet check out the link below.  He's done the design work on Prometheus, Enders Game etc etc but also has designs cars for fun.  

https://makehastecorp.com

thanks again for all the kind words guys!  Cheers

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
1/8/23 9:00 a.m.

For those of us watching and dreaming of our own composite monsters, how much would you say it costs to produce a panel this way?  Skipping the big mold and going straight off the part is definitely appealing from an initial investment perspective. 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
1/8/23 3:48 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Do you have a link to those headlights?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/8/23 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Evanuel9 :

This link looks sketchy but it's to Amazon.  I bought them in Cyber Monday for half of that, damn. https://a.co/d/aabXF7H

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/8/23 8:26 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The whole body, all in (tools, material, clear coat, etc) was under $2k.   Honestly I don't know why more people aren't doing it.   It's not expensive or hard.  If I can do it, anyone can.  

TheWraith
TheWraith Reader
1/8/23 10:44 p.m.
Box4VIR said:

Someone needs to take away my angle grinder.

I would donate more discs to the fund. Carry on.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
1/9/23 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

I had not seen makehastecorp before...all I can say is WOW!   Excellent inspirational source for your wild build!

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/9/23 8:17 a.m.

The local shop has deemed it street legal!  Also, I'm calling my garage the local shop now....  I'm hoping for a madden voyage in the next couple weeks

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
1/9/23 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Thanks!!

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
1/9/23 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

that is imposing. I love it! Very impressive work!

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
1/9/23 2:03 p.m.

I tend to lurk more than anything else now days on here, but this thing is BEAUTIFUL!

Just add one of these for your street driving minus the sun visor and add custom TIE pilot graphics.

STUPID light and cheap too. Not snell or DOT rated, but they are ECE rated. I use one for FL summer trail riding or while chasing my nieces/nephew around my parents property since we're not in anything gnarly enough to warrant the full face helmet.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D6LP8IXBm0Dv8auVtn5LRojU3CTYWrAaDPCLMDPig3IrHLARN3iE9YpoA6XqEuD9