4 5 6 7 8
Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/9/23 4:35 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

Not a bad idea, considering the roll cage.  Have a link to the helmet?  I'll check it out!

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
1/9/23 10:45 p.m.

This thing is such a perfect level of GRM madness. Carry on, good sir!

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
1/10/23 3:02 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

The one in the picture is branded Acerbis but it appears identical to the Mots ones. Great light helmets - the plastic ones with the inbuilt visors are a bit over a kilogram, my fibreglass one is 900 grams. I'm on my third over the last few years and highly recommend them. You can take the interior out and put it through the washing machine when they get grungy or even buy replacements.

Don't know here you would buy in the US but try motorcycle dealers involved in trials as they are very popular here for that discipline. I'm not sure how ece22.05 compares to Snell etc but they are street legal here and approved for m/c competition other than where a full face helmet is required.

Cheers

R

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
1/11/23 12:08 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

RichardNZ nailed it. It's a trials helmet. With a comm unit mine is just over 1kg. For comparison my Shoei Neotech 2 with it's hinge system and safety features, plus comms unit and speakers etc comes in at almost 2kg. My next dirt helmet is probably going to set me back about 5 times the price of this one and comes in at ~1250g.

I picked mine up from ebay. Checked out a trials store near me and they were stupid expensive. (I get it. That's your biz, but come on...) 

NEW ACERBIS TRIALS HELMET TRAIL MONTESA BETA ENDURO blah blah blah

I linked the one I wear. I've not crashed in it, actually. I take it back. I took one good spill in it when I found a gopher turtle burrow with my front tire in some really overgrown grass. Passed the knock test with no visibly broken interior foam. You can search Acerbis Jet Aria for the full run down on it. 

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/31/23 11:32 a.m.

I am having way too much fun putting lights on this thing.  The headlights received a few more aluminum bits to clean it up a bit and I installed some "taillights".  The LED strip integrates the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals

Here's a link to the taillights in action

https://youtu.be/ftcDXct1U-M

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
1/31/23 11:45 a.m.

That is seriously cool. What did you use to get the sequential effect?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/31/23 11:51 a.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

Thanks!  I just plugged them in.  This is all cheap Amazon crap that works right out of the box.   Just tapped into the factory harness.  There is a wire on the lights for each input.  Super super easy.  

here's a link to the light

Check this out!

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
1/31/23 1:20 p.m.
Box4VIR said:

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

Thanks!  I just plugged them in.  This is all cheap Amazon crap that works right out of the box.   Just tapped into the factory harness.  There is a wire on the lights for each input.  Super super easy.  

here's a link to the light

Check this out!

Do you have a link to the sequential lights?

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
1/31/23 1:42 p.m.

In reply to 2GRX7 :

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BZ8QK8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
1/31/23 1:54 p.m.
Box4VIR said:

In reply to 2GRX7 :

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BZ8QK8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PERFECT! Thank you!

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
2/8/23 12:16 p.m.

Lets call this a "thought exercise", one that I could only share with Grassroots

Here's what I'm thinking, first there's like.... a lot of room back here.  Unlike a front engine car, the engine is really limited by the roof height and not the hood height.  Being a mid-engine its also able to hold a heavier motor without really throwing things out of wack.   

What about a...... Volvo D13 Tractor trailer engine?  The same one that is not only readily available and cheap, but also powers the Volvo Iron Knight which has 2400hp and 7,000NM of torque on the stock motor (with a lot more boost).    This motor is WAY to big for a front engine car, but on the Boxster the valve cover would sit just under the roof line.  I think you'd run it direct drive with a torque converter (one gear).  Its way too heavy, its absurd, there's a million better ideas, it wouldn't work, but this is Grassroots motorsports and so I thought I'd "explore the space"....  Have another absurd (maybe lighter motor) ideas?  What would you put back there?  

Volvo Iron Knight 2400 acceleration and exhaust sound - YouTube

SpeedAddict502
SpeedAddict502 New Reader
2/8/23 12:44 p.m.

I dont think you realize how heavy those are haha. 

How about Mercedes M120 V12 if you want to get crazy?

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
2/9/23 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Are those just a standard 7" headlight? if so do you have the link for them? I couldnt seem to find them with the X like that and I really dig it

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
2/10/23 7:44 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B3SRPQNP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
2/10/23 7:52 a.m.

Big day yesterday!  I finally got it out of the garage and drove the car on the road for the first time in nearly a decade.   The new exhaust inserts made the exhaust livable but the rest was well...a fully caged racecar on the street.  Not great.  I think I'll add some carpet and sound deadening to make a bit more livable.  Even without the bright livery it used to have people still look at me like I'm dressed up as Batman or something.   Oh well can't fix that.   

wild that less than a year ago this picture was taken. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
2/11/23 2:00 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Inspiring! 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
2/11/23 9:48 a.m.

The headlights are perfect!  You should make a kit to retrofit that standard 7" round headlight.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
3/2/23 3:13 p.m.

Two weeks until the first track event of the year!  I can't believe (knock on wood) I'm going to make it.  I took it out for an extended test drive last week and it is absolutely terrifying.  I'm only running spring pressure (7psi), which is less than half of the planned boost (should be around 550hp with 7psi).   

The car no longer has a rear window, so being the perfectly street legal car it is I had to add rear view camera (AKA exhaust flame monitor).  This might be my favorite part of the car oddly.  

Finally at the sticker phase

You guys remember that janky Ironman that Tony Stark built in a cave?  I feel like this is the "cave version" of a GT4, I couldn't resist adding the LED Ironman-esk light to the engine.... definitely need to crank down the brightness.  

Anyone else going to the March MA-NASA VIR Event?  March 17th

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/2/23 3:32 p.m.

dude this car is friggin' madness!

nocones
nocones PowerDork
3/2/23 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

I wish I was now.  ..

Where did you get the rearview mirror?   LMP360 would benefit from that.  

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
3/2/23 3:47 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

On Amazon this one was cheap around $60 bucks.  If I were to do it over I'd buyer a higher resolution one.    

Box4VIR
Box4VIR Reader
3/3/23 6:56 p.m.

What's the overunder of these numbers being ok with the corner workers.  We'll find out in two weeks!

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 Reader
3/3/23 7:14 p.m.

You should bring this thing to cars and coffee, it's amazing

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/3/23 8:22 p.m.

im not entirely certain where you live, but i would love to come up and hang out with you. see the car, pick your brain on how you accomplished the carbon fiber body. just get nuances and experience that is hard to type up for a reader to understand. ill buy the lunch!

im pretty sure i wont be able to make it up to VIR on the 18th, or else that would be ideal. may be able to sneak out, but i doubt it

infernosg
infernosg Reader
3/8/23 1:11 p.m.

I'll be at VIR next weekend! I'll have to swing by and take a look at this.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U1xQXJjkbkJG3ed8QGqwN8ZrH0opCk8pyptLq2ML41KI2UJ0AsQk5zxYtrEGSPHs