1 2 3 4
2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/16/19 1:20 p.m.

WHOA!  This is the best thread I've seen for a long time.  You sir, have some serious balls!

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 1:32 p.m.

Now remember, this has been a work in process for YEARS and I'm getting ready to pull the engine yet again to fix what is likely a dropped valve seat.

Adding flanges

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 1:44 p.m.
dculberson said:

Ok dude your work is amazing. That color, too! “Not red” is a good start, but that blue is incredible on that car. 

Thanks,

When I bought it I was looking for a red car and ignored this one a couple months, but not finding what I was looking for and figuring a blue car that needs a paint job is a red car so I bought it.....and found the blue really grew on me so blue it remains.

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 1:44 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

What kind of insane sorcery is this???

the fun kind :)

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 1:45 p.m.
2002maniac said:

WHOA!  This is the best thread I've seen for a long time.  You sir, have some serious balls!

there is a fine line between balls and a complete lack of sense I guess.......

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
1/16/19 1:48 p.m.
mke said:
2002maniac said:

there is a fine line between balls and a complete lack of sense I guess.......

I think they go hand in hand.

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 1:52 p.m.

I flow test at 10" because long ago when I was young someone told me it was ok and that's what the shop vacs I use for a flow bench will pull reliably.  Stock was abot 93/94, now with the intake and TB in place its about 156, which should be right about 269@28" to put it in more familiar terms

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
1/16/19 2:03 p.m.

This is a whole new level of scope creep.

mke
mke Reader
1/16/19 2:04 p.m.

Speaking of TBs and intake.  I decided to use 54mm ducati 999 TBs.....they're Italian!  But they are meant to be 2s not 12s ......and are too wide with no useful linkage

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 2:06 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

This is a whole new level of scope creep.

yeah, I pulled it into the shop to replace the ECU so...... :)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/16/19 2:08 p.m.

Holy crap.

Wheres the Wayne's world"we're not worthy" gif?

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 2:10 p.m.

Intake

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
1/16/19 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Here you go

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 2:18 p.m.

Getting injector in the V was a bugger.....

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 2:19 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Here you go

LOL

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
1/16/19 2:24 p.m.

How the berkeley do you weld INSIDE of an aluminum head? This is insanely impressive!

mke
mke Reader
1/16/19 2:26 p.m.

Timing casing didn't fit and the heads where too long

had to bring in the master machinist in the house but I got it

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 2:31 p.m.

wait, forgot the timing cover

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 2:34 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

How the berkeley do you weld INSIDE of an aluminum head? This is insanely impressive!

You have to preheat a bit because the little torches can't handle massive amps, but its not that bad and makes all sorts of stupidity possible.

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 2:41 p.m.

Cam covers weren't really right. too long, didn't fit the timing cover, and setup for oil drain needed for a flat engine but not helpful on a V

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/16/19 2:58 p.m.

oh my berkeley

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
1/16/19 3:01 p.m.

I have a question - after you did so much welding on all that glorious aluminum did you need to do any annealing and re-heat treat anything?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/16/19 3:18 p.m.

Those TR heads must be a shocking improvement in performance over the 400i heads... I'm surprised there wasn't some other donor that would get you 4 valves per hole that were closer to a bolt on.  Or is this a case of "these were the parts that were available for relatively low cost so the effort is worth it"?

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
1/16/19 3:29 p.m.

...thank goodness I have a welder and not much sense :)

That... barely even begins to cover the insanity here. I'm going to have to reexamine my definition of "fabricate to fit."

I like it.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
1/16/19 3:31 p.m.

I got nothing: look, i found this v12 in the junk yard (like, how even.. junk... my ass... anyway, i digress), then.. hm... the engineers were wrong, so I'm just going to fix it, by chopping it up. This place attracts all kinds. I'm am following, this is amazing. you rock on with your bad self!

also, the ramp on that cam! that's a bit on the aggressive side. I want to hear what that sounds like!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SkmCv1egPoG3oWKUjfgSjb4G9WM0AN7SKatKXY1xX5rtMRBHaxWpZHW0qU6xqWmT