sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
8/23/21 1:03 p.m.
Syscrush said:
mke said:

I worked about 12 hours today.....and only have 1 wall to show for it

The world is full of people who can put in a 12 hour day and get nowhere near that quantity or quality of work done - give yourself credit!

Amen!  It's looking good!

mke
mke Dork
8/24/21 3:53 p.m.

not sure where the heat mats but if I give Lana a shopping list and some time and she finds a deal on anything....had to get creative to make these sizes fit but it all looks right now and I'm finally ready to put in a floor!....which is how the whole project began, just put a floor in the basement so we can use it :)

2/3 of the floor is like R3 or4 with the foam, just the shower area on bare concrete....not bad.  The rest of the basement will be 1" dricor foam board so R4, again, not horrible and will get electric membrane and engineered wood over and in theory will match the height of the bathroom floor....fingers crossed.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
8/24/21 4:11 p.m.
mke said:

not sure where the heat mats but if I give Lana a shopping list and some time and she finds a deal on anything....had to get creative to make these sizes fit but it all looks right now and I'm finally ready to put in a floor!....which is how the whole project began, just put a floor in the basement so we can use it :)

2/3 of the floor is like R3 or4 with the foam, just the shower area on bare concrete....not bad.  The rest of the basement will be 1" dricor foam board so R4, again, not horrible and will get electric membrane and engineered wood over and in theory will match the height of the bathroom floor....fingers crossed.

I'm having trouble picturing the layout.  Is that top left section under the shower with the drain along the lefthand wall?

mke
mke Dork
8/24/21 4:30 p.m.
APEowner said:

I'm having trouble picturing the layout.  Is that top left section under the shower with the drain along the lefthand wall?

Yes. it will be a rain shower head (another deal) 18x18 off the top left corner and a 33" long glass panel (yup, another deal) in the no heat space/line probably 36in off the left wall...still debating exact placement it might go 42" to sit on the tile grout line or anywhere in between so  left room in the heat layout, then its a no step walk in on the bottom left with the whole show area pitched toward the wall drain...so the whole left 1/3 is angled shower floor.  Heated towel rack( I think she said $25?) on the lower left wall so its there when you set out of the water.  The center 1/3 in open, the right 1/3 is toilet top right, pedestal sink bottom right (closeout deals on both I'm told)....the sink weights a ton and I had to re-fame the wall to hold it per their drawing when it arrived.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
8/24/21 4:59 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Fancy!  I've never done a heated shower floor.  That's a great idea.

mke
mke Dork
8/24/21 7:47 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I'd never even heard of it much less done it cheeky.  When Lana was deal hunting she found heat mats specifically for shower pans with a center drain and asked if we need one...hmmmm....its the only part of the floor without insulation so extra cold....yes, yes we do need that!  The pad under the water flow is separate, they recommend that just in case it can be disconnected without taking out the heat to the whole floor.  hopefully it all works out as planned.

mke
mke Dork
8/30/21 6:48 a.m.

The new saw pretty much paid for itself....I can't even imagine having to do the job without it

If you look you can see the harbor freight honing drill got a workout too...they claim its true purpose isn't honing but cement mixing so as crazy as it sounded I gave it a try....the cement mixing went way better than the cylinder honing  :? 

Just the one small tile over the door, the niche, and the drain has an insert that gets tiled so it kind of disappears into the floor....hopefully a couple hours and on to grout...once a color is chosen.  So after about 3000lbs of stone, 600lb cements, maybe another 500lbs in backerboard my first thought was Ik glad its in the basement, the next thought was that I pity the fool who ever tries to remodel this.....then I  thought maybe we should fit a steel door and call a panic room....followed by wft was I thinking when I agreed to this?  :lol: 

Syscrush
Syscrush Reader
8/30/21 9:35 a.m.

Am I seeing in-shower electric switches or controls, here?

Did the bathroom work suddenly get more interesting than the Ferrari work?

mke
mke Dork
8/30/21 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

no, no...well a little.  Mostly only 1/3 is shower so the switched you see are just boring normal bathroom switches.  There is some stuff that is technically in the shower....bottom right is power for a heated towel rack but the hope is its far enough from the water that the towel and power stay dry.  The wires hanging out the wall are the floor heat stuff where the thermostat will be which is also technically in the shower but even further from the water.....hopefully it all works out but clearly this is way god gave us gfci circuit breakers laugh

Syscrush
Syscrush Reader
8/31/21 9:53 a.m.
mke said:

hopefully it all works out but clearly this is way god gave us gfci circuit breakers laugh

In the mid-80's, I worked as a laborer on a construction crew building houses. GFCI circuits were kind of new then. I had learned about them in a high school electricity course, and my ears perked up when the electrician on site complained about them. "Stupid, pointless GFCI E36 M3!" I had some sense of how theory & regulation didn't always line up with practical reality, so I asked "What makes them pointless? Do they not work or something?" "Oh no, they work fine." So I was a bit confused and asked "Well, if they save lives, isn't that worth it?" And he looked at me deadpan and said "Anyone who brings a hair dryer into the shower deserves to die".

I don't know how to write this so it's clear that he was joking and knew he was just griping about nothing. Lots of fun times on the job - lots of wisdom came at me that was very different from what I had been exposed to in school, church, or books. While I'm at it, I'll share how Tony the Painter introduced me to min/max analysis:

• Tony: Hey, you want a smoke?
  • Me: No, thanks - I don't smoke.
  • Tony: That's good. You don't drink, either, right?
  • Me: That's right.
  • Tony: That's good. But don't go getting any big ideas about suppressing the other thing!
  • Me: Blushes and looks down.
  • Tony: But you wear a condom! When you're lying in bed dying of AIDS, you won't be thinking about what a good f*ck you had.

I have paraphrased Tony so many times on so many topics over so many years that I couldn't begin to remember them all. "When we're frantically trying to restore PROD at 3AM because we rushed this patch in, will we be thinking about how glad we are that we skipped a full regression test?"

mke
mke Dork
9/10/21 5:56 p.m.

Today was a pretty good day.  The tile got a tentative acceptance yesterday so today I grouted as in the tile is frinkin finished.....then the projector arrived.  The math was exactly right and I now have 130in of 4k frinkin amazing!  I need a race car game  laugh

mke
mke Dork
9/10/21 6:04 p.m.

oh, I didn't post this...the stones weren't flay enough and they were really for a floor so blasted finish, meaning for the last week+ I have been grinding marble.  50 grit to even all the edges and last night I was at 3000 grit followed by a  mild acid etch to give a smooth but matte finish.  This has been the job from hell so I really felt I deserved a win.

mke
mke Dork
9/20/21 6:48 a.m.

With the bathroom done it's on to wiring for the floor heat before the floor can go in....which means cutting open the new drywall.to get 3 new 20A 240V lines in and distributed to where all the mats can be connected with a Tstat and 2 power relays so there will be lots to patch

I messed with the layout for hours trying to get good coverage,  low waste, no more than 300sqft per circuit, final answer.

1 wire left then finish the patching, get it primer, and I'm told finish paint the ceiling so nothing spatters on the new floor.  4 more weeks if I really push?

mke
mke Dork
9/23/21 7:08 a.m.

While I watch others make actual progress on their cars I remain stuck in the basement but I am doing everything I can to push it along. I slathered on the mud to save a coat or 2 but slathered means it would want 2 or 3 days to dry, I'm not having that!  Today there is a fan, 2 space heaters and a hotair gun getting it dry.....one way of the other I'm painting the ceiling this weekend so I'm ready for the floor to go in.  I think I'm supposed to finish off the stairs too before I start the floor so while mud dries the runer/riser knots have been shellacked and filled, everything calked and they will get painted today or tomorrow so I can move to the railings and then the floor.  I want to get back to the engine......

mke
mke Dork
10/10/21 7:49 a.m.

Quick update.  There was some delay as design choices were made and material aquired but paint is about finished and I picked up the floor insulation yestersday, still waiting on the heat and actual flooring.

The theater has got a bit out of control and is also delaying things.  I had bought a $500 yamaha entry level 5.1 suround sound system in a box but on opening it the consunsus was the speakers were so small that they just looked silly.  2 weeks of slick deals, sales, ebay and its now a 5.1.4 setup so 10 speakers total with the wiring appoaching ECU complexity.  The wires will all  be in today then wait on mud to dry then paint the space black.

The off the shelf underscreen cabinet options we found all got a no vote for 1 reason or another so I'm building 1 kind of like 1 we saw but from maple not pressboard.  It will get black stain and semigloss clear I guess...that should be done by next weekend as long as there is weather for me to spray outside.

The screen material is here....its cimegrey 5D which is I guess polarized? to reject ambient room light anf gay color to darken the images....but also is supposed to focus more light back the the veiwers so they claim its 1.5 times briter than a standard white screen, at least if you're sitting near the middle, can't see anything from the sides, but it was $171 for the roll instead of $90 and seemed worth the upgrade since I cleverly installed a wall of glass doors at the start of the project.  

Internet pic, not my room, white top, cimegrey bottom..we'll see in acouple weeks.

Nader
Nader New Reader
10/10/21 10:30 p.m.

What happened to the car?

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/11/21 6:32 a.m.
Nader said:

Honey do list takes precedence I’d assume.

mke
mke Dork
10/11/21 7:07 a.m.
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) said:
Nader said:

Honey do list takes precedence I’d assume.

indeed it does. The updates are mostly so you know I'm not dead yet and working like a dog to be allowed back to the car.

I was out in the work shop Saturday for about 90 minutes.  I looked at why the compressor no longer holds air (bad pressure valve, new one coming), cleaned up the wood from drilling the railing posts on the mill, there is currently a lot of basement junk in the shop and a few items have sold on Craig's list so  I rearranged a little to let me roll the car forward enough that I could roll the engine stand back out enough to work around it.  I cleaned the bench and brought the cylinders back down, took a few measurements and was out of time.  That is kind of how thew car is going...there is just no way to get anything done an hour here and there...it takes me that long to remember what I was working on exactly so I've been pushing as hard as I can to finish the assigned house project and earn parole to the shop.   3 weeks?  smiley.....which probably means 6 sad

Syscrush
Syscrush Reader
10/12/21 8:32 a.m.

Because you said you're building out of maple, I'm here to suggest this material - I've used it for tons of projects over the last ~15 years and have always been happy with the strength, weight, finish, durability, etc. It's done duty for stuff including: a custom-designed sectional couch, bar, bar table, barstools, a dolly for moving motorcycles in and out of the shop, access panels on walls that actually look decorative, shelf units, wall-mounted entertainment units, bracing and mounts for floating vanity, etc. etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-Forest-Products-3-4-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-PureBond-Birch-Plywood-165921/100077837

admiralsenn
admiralsenn New Reader
10/18/21 12:07 p.m.

mke, would you mind sharing the name of the company that cast your wheels? I am looking into a similar "classic plus" type wheel and would love to have a resource that is somewhat proven already. Thanks!

EDIT: If you want to PM me rather than posting publicly that would be okay as well.

mke
mke Dork
10/18/21 2:16 p.m.
admiralsenn said:

mke, would you mind sharing the name of the company that cast your wheels? I am looking into a similar "classic plus" type wheel and would love to have a resource that is somewhat proven already. Thanks!

sure, email  steven@brwheel.com

Brilliant Rays Wheels Trading Co.,Limited

My wheels are forged not cast so I had to play with the designs to fit on existing forged blanks.  I know another guy looking at doing custom casting but you need to get to about 20 wheels for it to make any sense he says...steven can quote that for you or modular options as well.....but for sure designing to fit the forged blanks is the cheapest.

...a whole post about car stuff with no basement picks cheeky

admiralsenn
admiralsenn New Reader
10/19/21 4:46 p.m.
mke said:

...a whole post about car stuff with no basement picks cheeky

Happy to be of service!

Thanks man. I'll reach out to them when I have the design ready.

mke
mke Dork
10/30/21 6:56 p.m.

Whoa!...is that liners finished and in the block for good?  

Indeed it is.  The epoxy paint cleaned up nicely and I set them up to be just under to line to line fit in the block so I decided to warm the block a little before installing them....and now they are pretty round, certainly round enough to proceed.

I figured we were all feeling a little withdrawal with the challenge projects wrapped so I did stuff cheeky

Syscrush
Syscrush Reader
11/2/21 2:04 p.m.

This is so exciting!

You're the genius and I'm some dweeb with a computer and a free GRM account, but I have to say that using epoxy paint for dimensional reasons freaks me right out. When I look at that, my mind just jumps straight to paint flakes clogging the inlet of the oil pump pickup, small passages, or even into bearing journals and causing problems.

In the immortal words of Will Ferrel as Harry Caray: I guess I'm just a worrier - that's why my friends call me "Whiskers".

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza Reader
11/2/21 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

Isn't the paint completely sealed between the block and the cylinder wall though?  No direct forces causing chipping in that location, and nowhere for any chips to go if any did form, is what my thought is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KXAuOQjoHwts1YX0L2UyFvqTScDJj5q5yUbqtfx5V2QLO2Jh99TYOXCyXYPrZkrQ