mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 10:07 a.m.

To deal with this mess.  I think it dropped a valve seat, long story, but I should know this weekend.  

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/18/19 10:08 a.m.

Damn! Does that mean updates slow down? because this has been delivering! So much amazing work.

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
1/18/19 10:14 a.m.

This may be a dumb question, but how on earth do you move the milling machine? that thing looks huge and heavy

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 10:19 a.m.
java230 said:

Damn! Does that mean updates slow down? because this has been delivering! So much amazing work.

At some point projects get finished.....this has been 11 years of work and now all the parts fit and I had it running and "driving".  It looks like I'll need to order a new piston, probably weld up and recut the chamber, new valves and seats and put it back together.

Then there is other stuff sitting waiting for attention like this 1947 lincoln flathead V12 that wants a new life...I was thinking wooden ski boat when I bought it but now I'm leaning toward a 33 ford roaster....supercharger....4 wheel independent,... paddle shift....you know, standard autocross car.

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 10:23 a.m.
tjbell said:

This may be a dumb question, but how on earth do you move the milling machine? that thing looks huge and heavy

I had to move it in a couple pieces, my engine lift wanted no part of lifting it whole.  So trailer and crane to the basement, mill part and crane on trailer, crane off in garage, mill part off in garage.  repeat. fo rall the other heavy stuff.  took a full day to move everything in the pic.

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 10:32 a.m.

Just to give a little more perspective on way I kept talking about the length of the engine/trans.  In the last pic you can see its pretty close to the frame so I blinked and put 1/4" spacers under the mounts.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/18/19 10:42 a.m.

mke, thank you so much for sharing this!   to only see the start and the finish, i would be terrified to try to define and then connect the dots between.   having seen it done by someone with your combination of skill and courage, i am less afraid of defining and connecting the dots on my next project.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
1/18/19 11:02 a.m.

This is absolutely amazing - may be THE coolest build thread on the internet. Thank you for posting. smiley

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 12:22 p.m.

Here's a little think that might be of interest.  When I decided to go with HUGE ITBs, ports and cams  I was pretty scared about having enough vacuum signal to make the ecu happy enough to get it to run well in normal driving.  A little time on google and I found a sketch on the MS forum (I've marked on it) for a simple circuit to link separate MAP sensors.  The idea is the when you have say 4 vacuum hoses on an ITB setup going to a canister as is usually done 1 is always pulling vacuum but 3 are leaking vacuum  and you end up with a signal that is about 1/3 to 1/2  what you'd see on a plenum setup.

I talked a guy I know into doing a PCB layout for me and ordered one from a prototype place then hand solder it.  It didn't work.  But the second one with the errors fixed worked pretty well on the bench so I made it part of the ECU plan.  Once I got the engine running I was almost amazed how well it worked with the engine showing about 35kpa at low idle and under 40 up to about 2000 rpm (red line on graph).  From other similarish engine setups I'd see with a canister I expected the 2k number to be more like 85-90kpa. 

I'm really happy with this....now the fuel pump wasn't playing nice that day (lt blue line) but that's another story.   The PCB is designed so it can be just cut off to hold 2-12 map sensors

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 12:37 p.m.

I bought a largeish but cheapish 3d printer kit and assembled it with the kids.  We made toys...while I was practicing printing ABS.  After the fire clean up I just could find 1 of the velocity stacks and needed a replacement but also needed a way to make different length for dyno testing when I finally get to that step and figured printing would be a winner.  I made the replacement and it didn't turn out 1/2 bad. The DM6 is saying I want a pretty short stack so the plan is to print them. test them then I want to make an air box sectioned in 3 cyl groups and see if I can get that tuned....and sure that is printable, probably a weldment.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
1/18/19 12:43 p.m.

What's the dimensions of your garage? 

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 12:47 p.m.

This is fun for me.  for  years it seemed like the car should have a badge of some kind when I finished (notice I said WHEN :) )

I spent some time on google and figured out the "gemello cattivo" is about as close a translation to "evil twin" as possible, I kind of liked that.

Then I realized that its exactly the same number of letter as "quattrovalvole" emblem on the back of the car which gave me an idea and I used the phone a friend again.  I still need to paint it but I think it turned out good.

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 12:52 p.m.
yupididit said:

What's the dimensions of your garage? 

28x32 outside so about 27x31 inside.  That was about all I could do.  Its a huge lot but forward is the driveway and access to the attached garage, back is the goethermal system, Lana insisted on at LEAST 10 ft from the house even though because house and garage are stucco it could be at close as 4 and there is a 30ft setback rule .....28x32 it is unless I when way out back and then a max of 1000sqft new hardscape before water system is needed rule would kick in for both the building and driveway extension.  28x32 is it.

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 1:23 p.m.

Here's another phone a friend detail piece.  Most all the parts started life as castings.  On a 308 or TR the castings are pretty smooth and then stuff like the cam and timing belt covers are die cast.  On a 400 everything is sand cast and pretty rough with the stuff on top painted.  By sanding and buffing a little I can make stuff look die cast so that is the finish of everything I have to touch.  Nice for the whole engine starts to look the same.

On the front of the 400 there was an O@ pump I think and something else driven off 2 of the cams. the other 2 had a simple little cast cover.  I got 2 more from the salvage yard and machine the timing cover to use 4. nice

On the 400 the ends of the intake  also had cast covers.  They were different size than the TR ends (again air pump, distributors, ect)..hmmmmm

Also note the thermostat housing and upper coolant setup to connect the the TR heads and head toward the pump, the long way but still.

Turns out I had a friend learning to cast stuff who was willing to give it a go if I paid for the material...like $100

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/18/19 1:25 p.m.
mke said:

I bought a largeish but cheapish 3d printer kit and assembled it with the kids.  We made toys...while I was practicing printing ABS.  After the fire clean up I just could find 1 of the velocity stacks and needed a replacement but also needed a way to make different length for dyno testing when I finally get to that step and figured printing would be a winner.  I made the replacement and it didn't turn out 1/2 bad. The DM6 is saying I want a pretty short stack so the plan is to print them. test them then I want to make an air box sectioned in 3 cyl groups and see if I can get that tuned....and sure that is printable, probably a weldment.

3D printing Velocity stacks and other items for their ITB'd 70's Italian Mid-engined Supercar build, where have I seen that before?

Oh, right. My buddy's Jalpa build:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/new-project-1987-lamborghini-jalpa-theres-no-easy-/102819/page1/

Both amazing builds in their own right with excellent application of relatively common technologies and techniques.  I'm gobsmacked at the work you've done.  Just brilliant stuff.  It really brings home the phrase: "Its just Metal" meaning that just because its considered exotic, doesn't mean it can't be modified, altered or worked on.

BTW, the multiple MAP sensor solution is spectacular and I'm stealing that for every ITB build I'm doing from now on.  I wish I had it on my 924 with ITB's as I was always struggling with the oversized ITB's and the MS1 (MS2 would work better, but I'm cheap and stubborn).

After having driven in a 400i and having driven a 328, I have to say its fun to think of the marriage of the two, especially with the work you've done to the V12.

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 1:31 p.m.
Stefan said:

3D printing Velocity stacks and other items for their ITB'd 70's Italian Mid-engined Supercar build, where have I seen that before?

Oh, right. My buddy's Jalpa build:  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/new-project-1987-lamborghini-jalpa-theres-no-easy-/102819/page1/

Both amazing builds in their own right with excellent application of relatively common technologies and techniques.  I'm gobsmacked at the work you've done.  Just brilliant stuff.  It really brings home the phrase: "Its just Metal" meaning that just because its considered exotic, doesn't mean it can't be modified, altered or worked on.

BTW, the multiple MAP sensor solution is spectacular and I'm stealing that for every ITB build I'm doing from now on.  I wish I had it on my 924 with ITB's as I was always struggling with the oversized ITB's and the MS1 (MS2 would work better, but I'm cheap and stubborn).

After having driven in a 400i and having driven a 328, I have to say its fun to think of the marriage of the two, especially with the work you've done to the V12.

I'll have to have a look at the Jalpa build!

If you want to have your very own multiMAP this is from the guy you laid it out for me

The files are posted here. 

https://github.com/jharvey/MultiMAP

I see I created gerber files in folders like as noted here for the 6cyl. You should be able to find what ever number of cyls you are dealing with and get the MFG files from that folder. 

https://github.com/jharvey/MultiMAP/blob/master/multi_map_6cyl/multi_map_6cyl.zip

Most fab houses can accept the zip file. For example you should be able to upload that zip file to OSHPark, and then you should be able to order it. As well I see the BOM in that folder should provide you with the components which are needed for making the board. 

If something goes wrong and different files needed by the PCB MFG, the source KICAD files can be found at the below link. With the source file(s) pretty much any MFG can be supported. 

https://github.com/jharvey/MultiMAP/tree/master/multi_map_kicad

If you run into some kind of problem, feel free to drop me a line. 

Best regards.

.. ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-. . .- -.. / - .... .. ...
.-.. . - ... / .... .- ...- . / .- / -... . . .-.

Jared Harvey Operator KB1GTT

e-mail mail@jaredharvey.com
Web page http://jaredharvey.com

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/18/19 1:54 p.m.
mke said:
artur1808 said:

Incredible work! 

I may have missed it somewhere earlier in this whirlwind of impressive machining work, but how long of a project has this been to date?

11 years and counting.......

holy crap.......

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 3:18 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:
mke said:
artur1808 said:

Incredible work! 

I may have missed it somewhere earlier in this whirlwind of impressive machining work, but how long of a project has this been to date?

11 years and counting.......

holy crap.......

For a while I kept a time log.  I don't have everything so like 1500 hours?  But its not like my motorcycle days,.....shop time is hard to come by.

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 3:25 p.m.

Here's a little history

Stock QV intake with an EFI conversion....I've done about a half dozen of these for guys over the years

My first supercharger setup, eaton MP90 iirc.  That's not my shop these must be pics I grabbed from ebay when the guy I sold it to resold it without ever running it.

Supercharger 2 - whipple ax2300.  I made 2 of these setups, 1 for me and for some else and sold mine when I started the V12 project.....  but as far as I know my car is the only one that ever actually ran with it installed.

preach
preach New Reader
1/18/19 3:56 p.m.
mke said:
this is technically a bolt-on conversion :)

OK...beer out my nose on that laugh.

mke
mke Reader
1/18/19 4:38 p.m.
preach said:
mke said:
this is technically a bolt-on conversion :)

OK...beer out my nose on that laugh.

A least it was beer not Scott! Scott burns

I was thinking like a create engine....old engine trans out, new in, But that's what I thought about those blowers I sold too and they, I build and tested them and when I bolted them off and sold them I assumed most anybody could bolt them on a their car....nope.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
1/19/19 10:10 a.m.

I have been saving this thread to read over coffee this Saturday morning, as to give it my full attention. 

Absolutely World class work. Beautiful, thoughtful, and incredibly well executed. Cheers!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
1/19/19 10:24 a.m.

Thanks for wandering in and sharing this amazing project. Unreal. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
1/19/19 2:03 p.m.

Like others have done, I want to thank you for sharing your awesome project with us! Suddenly my own project seems easy.

Unlogic
Unlogic
1/19/19 2:20 p.m.

This has to be one of the most awesome build threads ever posted online. Keep up the good work!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BH9a9KAD6xnAAms1pQyE2cXkt40Uj9bamroZ0R8cnJPpRf1VxHDoXQIkied8zjxQ