SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/28/22 12:16 p.m.
ian sane
ian sane Dork
3/28/22 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I read the first post when that thread started and decided I didn't care enough about the topic to chime in or read any other posts. Saying that, I'm not religious and don't care if other people are or aren't. I don't know how mke acted and will trust the moderators/forum choice in reprimanding people.

However, I think that "it wasn't religious" is a cheap argument. The powers that be can run this forum however they like, it's their forum but if a topic is about once being religious and now not, how is that not about religion? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say, 'don't talk about potatoes' and then say, 'why don't you have potatoes in your life?'

Again, hearsay makes it sound like there was some shiny-happiness going on but I'm not commenting on or approving all that. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
3/28/22 4:39 p.m.
Javelin said:

Good day.

I have no cards in this game, just bummed to see the loss of this content on this forum. But damn son...you nailed Willy Wonka with this phrase!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/28/22 6:41 p.m.

Was fun while it lasted. Wish you all the best with the build and maybe I will stumble on a vid or something down the road. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
3/28/22 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Sometimes silence is the right response. 

NY Nick
NY Nick HalfDork
3/28/22 7:59 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

This is silly that this beef is continuing on. I've read the thread in question. IMO that thread was made to rile people. It was made directly after Steve took a E36 M3 in another religion thread. I didn't see anything that mke said that was way out of line. As I said in private this is better worked out directly with the parties involved and not in this thread. Also as said privately wrote I don't have a side or a horse in this race. The GRM forum is my happy place and this kind of discord is harshing my mellow. Let's put this whole mess behind us and make nice. To me that is apologizing to each other even if one doesn't see their actions as wrong, just apologizing for hurting a forum friend and wanting to make the whole place better. Let's not throw gas on this fire. 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/28/22 11:44 p.m.

Just an humble bystander here, but I would dearly love to see the recent "non-Frankenferrari" posts that are unrelated to this thread be removed.

This is such a wonderful, rich, thoroughly enjoyable thread on its own, and I am sure I speak for others that I would hate to see it die over conflict in an entirely different thread, and future readers don't need to stumble across this thread and then have to wade through all the recent nonsense. Especially if this is what kills it. I don't want to see it die.

But that's just my opinion.

78CobraII
78CobraII New Reader
3/29/22 12:00 a.m.

Seconded!

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
3/29/22 12:10 a.m.

Thirded. This is the best build thread on the web, near as I can figure.  Truly wish it would continue but if it has to stop, let it stop without the last cpl pages.

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
3/29/22 4:16 a.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Just an humble bystander here, but I would dearly love to see the recent "non-Frankenferrari" posts that are unrelated to this thread be removed.

This is such a wonderful, rich, thoroughly enjoyable thread on its own, and I am sure I speak for others that I would hate to see it die over conflict in an entirely different thread, and future readers don't need to stumble across this thread and then have to wade through all the recent nonsense. Especially if this is what kills it. I don't want to see it die.

But that's just my opinion.

Yes please. I agree. This guy with his knowledge makes some off us look like monkeys holding wrenches, but we enjoy his threads. 

Atleast he didn't nuke his thread as a certain Ford Van loving shiny happy person did. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
3/29/22 9:50 a.m.

I have always wanted a way to filter our build threads to read just what the OP posts.  I love the build threads but sometimes I dont have time to scroll past all the extra comments.  

ian sane
ian sane Dork
3/29/22 10:47 a.m.
Kendall_Jones said:

I have always wanted a way to filter our build threads to read just what the OP posts.  I love the build threads but sometimes I dont have time to scroll past all the extra comments.  

That sounds suspiciously like you own a Transit Connect.

That's said with a heavy dose of humor intended...

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/29/22 10:59 a.m.

Hi everybody, 

Let me preface this post by stating the obvious: I can't and don't read every single post on our forum. There are simply too many people posting too many awesome things to have time in the day to read every one.

That's where our moderators come in. These people aren't staff, don't get paid, and use their free time to perform a mostly thankless job of keeping spam off our forums while attempting to steer discussions back towards civility.  Thank you, moderators.

This also means our moderators aren't trained professionals willing and able to spend hours coaching and de-escalating. In fact, they have a fairly limited toolset: Just a few pre-written emails and a big button labeled "deactivate account."

Regarding forum rules: We (the forum's owners) wrote them, and we'll occasionally say they can be broken, like in the case of that religious thread. We saw that nuanced discussion as civil, interesting, and informative. It didn't (and probably still doesn't) make sense to shut it down. I know what you may be thinking... "BUT THE RULES SAY...." Tough. Keeping a forum thriving sometimes requires judicial discretion, and that's our right to do so. 

With all this said, here's my proposed path forward:

1. Javelin and MKE: Apologize to each other personally or publicly, delete whatever posts you wouldn't proudly frame in your home, and go back to enjoying this forum the way you were a week ago. 
  2. Everybody else: Disengage from this scuffle and let everybody settle down. 
  3. Going forward, remember this conflict, and actively avoid the conditions that could make something similar happen again. MKE, you're not a moderator and don't need to worry about enforcing the rules. Javelin, you don't need to moderate so granularly in tricky situations like this. 

Hopefully this makes sense to all involved, and we can keep this a nice place to spend time. Thanks, everybody. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/29/22 11:08 a.m.

I apologize mke.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/29/22 11:11 a.m.

More V12 videos please for the love of all things Maranello!!!!   

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/29/22 11:57 a.m.
Javelin said:

I apologize mke.

I'm glad you apologized because you really came off like an shiny happy person in that thread 

mke
mke Dork
3/29/22 12:20 p.m.

By all means yes, clean it up.  This was already written but got a few edits just now.

Some (all?) of you many have guessed that I am not a people person….that is why I spend so much time in the shop, its peaceful.  If a project is not acting the way I think it should I can push it into the corner and let it think about how its behaving and it can sit there forever if it doesn’t want to play nice, or I can hit it with a hammer if I don't want to wait.  Either way the shop is peaceful.

I do like to see what others are up to and I don’t mind sharing what I’m working on, its only fair to give something back.  At some point though, me being me, I will saying something I probably shouldn’t have and continuing to talk about, well anything really after that becomes a bit strained, so I generally just take the hint and stop talking. 

It doesn't really matter anyway though, after 14 years this project is finished. .....it had to happen eventually. The engine is running. The oil and coolant leaks fixed, or so it appears. 

If there is anything still post worthy......it will drive at some point and it needs an air filter setup but the list is getting pretty short and I'm really looking forward to a new project that has been waiting its turn for 8 or 10 years. 

FYI - the forum PM and notifications don't reach me  (as of last Monday my provider started blocking GRM forum domain email which I assumed was a sign from god) so my response will be slow responding to post  to nonexistent responding to PMs.

mark@gemellocattivo.com

or this might work as its a different provider

mark.gemellocattivo@gmail.com

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
3/29/22 1:05 p.m.

Stoked to see this running and not leaking! Hoping your other builds make their way here as this was a highly enjoyable experience for a lot of us here. 

Congrats!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
3/29/22 1:28 p.m.

In reply to mke :

I'm glad you're not gone my friend, mainly because I didn't check into either of those threads so I had no clue what was going on in here when I saw talk of you being gone.

I took your pie cut advice on my intake thread.  Came out pretty good, or at least as good as my welds can make it.  Another reason I'm glad you haven't left, we humble beginners need goals to reach for.

Now, Lincoln V12 time?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/29/22 3:50 p.m.
mke said:

By all means yes, clean it up.  This was already written but got a few edits just now.

Some (all?) of you many have guessed that I am not a people person….that is why I spend so much time in the shop, its peaceful.  If a project is not acting the way I think it should I can push it into the corner and let it think about how its behaving and it can sit there forever if it doesn’t want to play nice, or I can hit it with a hammer if I don't want to wait.  Either way the shop is peaceful.

I do like to see what others are up to and I don’t mind sharing what I’m working on, its only fair to give something back.  At some point though, me being me, I will saying something I probably shouldn’t have and continuing to talk about, well anything really after that becomes a bit strained, so I generally just take the hint and stop talking. 

It doesn't really matter anyway though, after 14 years this project is finished. .....it had to happen eventually. The engine is running. The oil and coolant leaks fixed, or so it appears. 

If there is anything still post worthy......it will drive at some point and it needs an air filter setup but the list is getting pretty short and I'm really looking forward to a new project that has been waiting its turn for 8 or 10 years. 

FYI - the forum PM and notifications don't reach me  (as of last Monday my provider started blocking GRM forum domain email which I assumed was a sign from god) so my response will be slow responding to post  to nonexistent responding to PMs.

mark@gemellocattivo.com

or this might work as its a different provider

mark.gemellocattivo@gmail.com

mke. 
  I enjoy your contributions tremendously. Not just about your awesome Ferrari and house.  
     Often on discussions I've posted you're among the few that have worthy thought evoking ideas.   Plus your comments to others  seem  intelligent and friendly.    I'm glad we haven't lost you. 

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/29/22 4:04 p.m.

MKE, I stayed out of that other thread and am very glad that you are still here. I enjoy and appreciate the thoroughness and audacity of your work. Keep on keepin on!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/29/22 5:25 p.m.

Great to see and hear it running. We all have so much enjoyed your adventure and hope you will share your new project at some point. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
3/29/22 5:28 p.m.

That car.. making *that* noise.... jeez if I saw it going down the road I'd break my neck doin' the doubletake...

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/29/22 6:11 p.m.

Welcome back.

NY Nick
NY Nick HalfDork
3/29/22 7:57 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Congratulations on getting it back together. Such a huge project. I admire your mechanical skills and fortitude. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8cgUHfRG9LU8Ki7tCbTkn1GzrlgoEHxl79pMlOKtziP3qX8etBAdHBJDhYJkvami